*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383453-The-Affair
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1383453
When plans go wrong...
The digits in the corner of the computer screen flicked to 18:44. One minute left. Whoever was paid to make up the statistics about causes of inefficiency in the workplace always seemed to fail to mention times like these. Yet for the past year, Brian Edwards had, without fail, been distracted from his work for the five minutes between 18:40 and 18:45. The numbers changed again. It was time. He put down his coffee cup and, the same as he had done yesterday, the day before, and would do tomorrow, picked up his mobile and chose speed dial option three.

“What time will you be home tonight, sweetheart?” Rebecca, as always, answered immediately. Her tone was stern, accusing. It never failed to make Brian flinch.
“Well, I’ve got to finish up some work so…”
“Well, tonight’s my book night so…” She was mocking him. Each word dripped with a sarcasm that wore away a little more of Brian’s already flailing dignity. She was far from finished, however. “I’ll just leave something in the oven. Will they not be closing up soon? It’s almost 7.” It was a pointless statement. She knew that Brian was aware of the time. She knew that Brian could stay as late as he wished in his office. She also knew what Brian’s reply would be:
“Don’t worry about dinner. I’m pretty sure I’m eating out with the office again.” His standard reply was rolled out without even thinking. It was like being in the same old badly scripted, weary play day after day.
“Oh… OK…” The faux-disappointment. “How was your lunch?” This one caught Brian off-guard.
“Lunch?”
“Don’t wind me up, Brian. I made four lunches today and none of them are in the fridge any more so you must’ve taken it. You could at least try and be grateful for once.” Brian noticed a sudden shift in Rebecca’s register. Instead of her usual collected, practised tone, there were hints of actual emotion, perhaps even upset.
“I honestly didn’t realise you’d made it. One of the kids probably ate it. I appreciate the thought-…”

The line went dead. Brian sighed. If having the cold, calculating Rebecca for a wife wasn’t enough to contend with, now it appeared that she was having mood swings as well. Perhaps it was the menopause? He would worry about that when he got home. For now it was time for him to pack up his work and accompany his beautiful secretary to a fancy restaurant, where they would drink too much overpriced wine and probably end up checking into an expensive hotel until she forced him to return home. It was the perfect arrangement- she would be first in line for promotions and he could forget about who he was actually married to for a while. It was only a matter of time before Rebecca put a stop to the affair, but for now she let it happen. Probably to relieve her from the sexual obligations that marriage usually came with. Brian couldn’t remember the last time they had slept in the same bed, let alone ‘made love’ in it. Such thoughts subsided from his mind, however, as his raven-haired, long-limbed secretary walked into his office, a warm smile on her face.

Rebecca Ellis stared at her phone, her hands shaking. So if Brian hadn’t taken his lunch then who had? It was at that moment that her eldest child appeared at the bottom of the stairs, wide eyed and ashen faced.

“Mum! It’s Jack! He’s not breathing…”
© Copyright 2008 ElusiveMoose (amymoose at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383453-The-Affair