*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383666-The-Daredevil-That-Inspired-Love
Rated: E · Essay · Family · #1383666
Essay about someone who inspires love in your life
        My brother Roger was the one person in my life that inspired love and made me the individual that I am today.
        Roger was a daredevil that never met a stunt that he wouldn't try. One day we were playing in the woods about a mile from our house when we noticed a tall oak tree on the edge of a rather steep hill. At the bottom of the hill was a 30 to 40 foot cliff that led to the Tradewater River. My cousins and I dared Roger to swing from the vines that were hanging from the tree and go over the river. Without hesitation he grabbed a vine and swung far out over the river, twisting wildly, as he came back to the tree he was out of control and slammed his head into the knotty bark of the old oak. Nearly unconsious he let go of the vine and started rolling down the hill toward the cliff. The rest of us raced to catch him before he reached the edge and fell into the river. We made it just in time to see him gain control and make it to his feet. He was bloody and bruised and ready to run back to the tree to try it again.
        It seems there was always events like this going on that kept him in danger, as well as in trouble with our Mom. We could never have planned and prepared for the worst even though it was inevitable.
        On a hot August afternoon in 1978 Roger, who was 9 years old a the time, decided to go swimming with one of our cousins in that same river. He was just learning how to swim at the time but still approached the river as if he were Mark Spitz going for his 7th Gold Medal. The problem was that the river was up, due to the recent rainfallls, and flowing with a rapid undertow. He dove into the river and immediately lost the battle. He came to the surface once to yell for help but my cousin was unable to reach him.
        After an exhausting search that went through the night and well into the next day we found his body wedged tightly into a Beaver Dam. Over the next 7 years, my entire teenage life, I became a virtual recluse. It was during that time that I realized how close we were despite the many fights we had and the, "I wish you were dead", comments. I came to the realization that he was my only true friend and the cause of my joy, love, hate, anger and laughter.
        I decided during those years that I would always cherish the important people in my life as long as I had them. This would include letting them know when they made my happy, sad or angry while also showing them how much I love them.
        Today I keep a picture of Roger in my car so I can look at it occasionally and reflect back on our 9 short years together. I always tell my children and grandchildren stories about him and it seems to keep them amused. As I tell the stories it always opens the door to another story and another day that I had forgotten about. After 30 years of reflecting about our time together I have noticed that I can still hear the laughs, smell the smells and see the colors and images of our surroundings.
        I always try to call my Mom and Dad on the anniversary of his death and tell them something that they may not have ever known about him. By the end of our conversation we are all laughing and enjoying the memories. Because of these reasons he is still building love in all of us.
© Copyright 2008 rogerdale (rogerdale at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383666-The-Daredevil-That-Inspired-Love