*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1385515-Instinct-Ch-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ruach
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1385515
An Untimely Consequence and A Fortunate Discovery
An Untimely Consequence and A Fortunate Discovery
By: Chris Moore


         They walked for a short while as the storm clouds closed in on the moon. A light was now leaving the last of its remnants behind as they were enveloped in darkness. The ocean had calmed from its earlier state. Genevive and the amnesia stricken young man didn’t talk much on their way to the cave, they were still both trying to get their heads on straight.

Ok, so she healed your wound, that is useful I suppose
Not very proficient in it though


         A discontent voice spoke up for the first time in a while.

         “Well, I need help, if you don’t recall you nor I know anything of our past or this, well I think foreign land,” he thought.

Oh well, for now she doesn’t seem to be a bother, but
If she gets herself into any more trouble and tries to drag you and I into it…
We leave her


         Genevive was quiet as they walked together. The soft sound of sand under their feet. Another sound began to roll in. Rain. The young man heard it first with his keen hearing, above the lull of the ocean he could hear the patter of fresh rain.

         “It’s raining.”

         “Don’t worry its not too much further, I’ve been here many times before when I needed some time alone.” she paused. “ You know my father wasn’t always this way.”

         He simply listened, without a sound.

         “I remember a time when he would wake me up early to see the sun rise over these very waves…” she got quiet, a quick inhale then continued. “Was a long time ago, you know mother used to tell me that he fought the dark for us and that’s why he was easily angered, cause his energy was spent elsewhere…”

         He remained quiet now watching the clouds ahead, he could hear the rains approaching.

         “Mum said never to give up on him, he was fighting a battle for us he was protecting us. It’s what drove him to drink… then she was just… gone…I, I’m sorry I just need to stay quiet sometimes. Just yammering your ear off.”

         “Your fine, sounds like you don’t have anyone to talk to.”

         “Nope, mum was my best friend.”

         The rains closed in heavy and fast, sheets of it pouring in from behind them. They were soaked in no time. Genevive’s shirt and skirt stuck to her body as they began to run and his armor began to constrict his movement making him uncomfortable. Their footsteps could barely be heard over the constant downpour of rain. He had to keep pace with her, because he was much faster than her. His hair was drenched and stuck to his face and neck, hers was soaked also and bouncing with every stride.

         The hill they ran beside grew taller and a darker form could be seen through the rain by the young man.

         “There.”

         “Oh, yeah there it is,” not noticed it until then.

         They ducked inside the dark cave. He looked back into its shallow depths, only seeing a few yards to the rock wall at the end. Genevive wrung her hair out, bending over with both hands wringing out the water. He simply brushed his wet hair aside, out of his eyes. A cold wind blew into the cave, making their skin ache with the pain of being cold and wet.

         “We need a fire,” he concluded with sigh. “I’ll go get some wood, you wait here it won’t take long.”

         “Oh, thank you kindly.”

         He rubbed his hands together and stepped out once more into the storm, looking down the lengths of the beach. Wiping the hair from his eyes and looking back into the cave, he was off. He jogged along the large hill the cave rested inside, watching for a more shallow region; he didn’t much feel like climbing right now.

We could well be on our way were it not for her.

         “And I would have a hole in my arm still so I’m not complaining,” he spoke out loud as his eyes traced the hill.

         There the hill receded into a small patch of trees. He approached the recession entering near a small estuary. A stream flowed from inside the fortress of ancient conifers. He didn’t notice it since he was watching the hill so intently for a possibly entry point. Under the covering of the trees covering, the rain didn’t breach its limbs and needles. He brushed his wet hair out of his eyes again and knelt near the stream. He looked up the waters flow studying its path. He reached into its shallow depths drawing out a handful of water. He smelt it and let it drain through his fingers, feeling its consistency. This seemed to come to him like a second nature. He drew his hand close to his mouth once more.

Are you mad, don’t drink it, who knows where that’s been?!

         “It doesn’t appear to be potentially dangerous to me,” he thought.

And what do you know about poison, or water for that matter?

         “I don’t know, I just do.”

         That stifled the voice again, he was getting better at arguing with, well whoever he was arguing with. He licked the tip his finger, tasting the water and its contents.

         “See, simply water, plus it’s rather cold so I assume there must be ice melting somewhere that’s supplying this stream.”

         Still nothing. He stood back up returning to his mission for wood. He turned full circle looking for any dry wood. Nothing.

Stay off the path of the stream

         Something inside him made him decide not to argue this time.

         “Seems like you knows a little more than I do.”

         He decided to go right and stay close to the cave. He climbed through the trees away from the stream. The trees were conveniently old enough the lower braches were long gone so he could tread without any restrictions. He became more anxious and sped up. He quickly jogged forward, not looking back. He smelt smoke, it was close. Deterring from his path he went left into thicker trees, chasing after the aroma of warm burning wood. He made his way through the trees, leaving little or no trace of his path. The smell became more potent the closer he got and he could tell it was only a matter of moments before he could see the fire.

Stop, do not make your presence known,
there could be more of those Lykos that want your hide
or perhaps worse


         He slowed himself and crouched, he peered through the underbrush into a small clearing where he could see a dim glowing light. He scanned the surrounding area around the glowing light for any signs of danger. He stood there crouched a moment longer to make sure he was safe, then pushed the branches aside sliding into the clearing. He made immediate inventory of his surroundings. A small pile of the charred remains of a fire, the faint glow of its embers lighting the area dimly. A handful of tracks, they were not human, he assumed this was this was the Lykos camp before they ambushed him. Beside that there didn’t appear to be anything there. He stood up, approaching the fire and noticed something.

         “There, is something for me to worry about.”

What?

         “Lykos are very good at not letting there presence be known. See here, no tracks leading in or out, that means they know how to maneuver without leaving any signs of their route.”

They are not a force to cross

         “Agreed.”

         He returned his attention to the fire. Crouching down, he could just barely feel its warmth. The wood was practically burnt out and useless. He shifted the wood around with a small stick, the coals brightened at the exposure to air, then quickly burnt out. Examining the ashes further he found what he was hoping to find.

         “Ah hah. Just what I was hoping for.”

         He lifted a small rock out of the ashes and wiped it off to reveal a dark black surface. He smiled smugly and stood up.

Now all we need is wood…

         The light was dimming behind the ashen sticks and wood, and the moon didn’t quite reach through the tightly knit trees. Nearly enveloped in darkness the young man turned around seeking dry wood. The forest floor was covered in pine needles and underbrush, no sign of dry wood. Content he slipped the stone into a pouch on his belt and began to continue to explore the woods. Just as he stepped out of the clearing something solid grabbed his foot, sending him forward into the branches and bushes.

Check yourself

         He rolled over onto his back pulling his leg free of its vice. His fall uncovered what appeared to be a chest. It was made from wood with metal reinforcing on the corners. It appeared to be a little beaten but sturdy. Something was strapped across the top of it, a crimson cloth packed on top of the chest. He lifted his foot over the chest, bending it back, testing it. Sitting up he ran his hands down the front of his shin, feeling his ankle under his boot and stretching his foot. There was a slight pain in it when he rolled it in a circle but besides that he seemed to be ok. He stood up, not putting too much pressure on his leg and examined the chest. Leaning down and grabbed the leather bands that held the crimson cloth to it, lifting it closer to see. It was very light for being made of sturdy design, and didn’t seem particularly special. He reached out his hand touching the side when a surge ran through his body.

Elias

         The shock stunned him as he locked up and began to perspire. Light was etched in the wood into beautiful strokes that seemed to spell something out. The etching danced across the whole chest and then slowly died off. His body release its lock and he nearly collapsed. His breathing was intense and his heart was racing.

That was interesting

         He couldn’t reply yet.

Did you hear that?
It spoke, the box spoke, perhaps some sort of enchantment
But it felt so familiar


         “So comforting.”

No time now to ponder we have to leave, there is danger approaching

         The smell of smoke inhabited where he was again, but it was a choking stench this time.

         “Torch fuel!”

Go!

         He held onto the chest tight and raced through the forest, back to Genevive, not paying very good attention to hiding his tracks, merely trying to get to her as fast as possible. The branches whipped his face and arms and he ducked past the bigger branches. The forest cleared out a bit, he was out of the thick region and nearing the ocean. He could hear its waves again, and the smoke had left him so whoever was there he lost. The trees cleared completely and he could see the ocean through the trees. He reached the pinnacle of the hill and could see as far as the rain would allow him down the beach and tree line. The wind changed directions and blew in from the north. He scanned the area trying to find a fast route down. He looked back up down the beach to where he entered the forest, the estuary was 30 yards away. A dull orange light peered through the trees near the stream.

That’s out of the question
We’re going to have to find another way


         “Not now!”

         He looked down, of the edge of the cliff, the rain pouring down on him. Four yards down.

You’re going to regret this!

         He threw the chest down, it landed with a thud in the wet sand. Taking a step back the young man took a deep breath as his heart started to beat faster, and leapt off the edge. His hair was caught in the wind as he soared through the air towards the ground. The impact wasn’t as bad as he anticipated. He managed to roll out of it, and not hurt anything.

We are lucky

         He didn’t give himself time to recover, he leapt up and snatched the chest and ran for the cave. It was only a few yards away, he raced under its covering and heard a scream. Genevive swung at him, and he turned just in time to grab her arm and save himself a black eye. He spun her around holding both her arms, in a bear hug.

         “Calm down, it’s me; we have to leave now,” he let go of her and she spun around to look at him.

         “Oh, I’m so sorry,” a distressed look came upon her face.

         “Don’t worry about it we have to go, I smelt torches and I saw the light by the stream, whoever it is I don’t want to take my chances.”

         “What’s that?” Pointing at the chest.

         “I found it at the Lykos camp, I’ll explain later.”

         “You were at the Ly…”

         “We have to go NOW!” He grabbed her hand and peeked out the entrance of the cave.

         He could see A group of men at the entrance of the stream, they were facing away examining something. A man was bandaged up and pathetic looking, holding himself with the others.

         “There’s no way, that’s Bruce!”

         “He lead them here, let’s go.”

         They waited only a second more and ran out of the cave staying as close to the hill as possible. They ran along its side, it curved around and the men and their torches were out of sight. They didn’t slow down at all though, they ran more freely, not having to worry about them seeing them for now. But the fear of being caught was still alive and well in their minds. If the rain did any good for them it was making it as hard as possible to see them. Genevive stopped out of breath, a look of distraught on her face.

         “I have to go home first!” She said between breaths.

© Copyright 2008 Ruach (ruach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1385515-Instinct-Ch-4