*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1386130-Midnight
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1386130
Short Triller
Wake.  Wake....Baby. Wake up baby.  Tabitha’s eyes opened.  The world was a blur.  She felt a hand on her arm.  By it’s gentle touch she could tell it was Jack.  Every touch of his sent sparks up her spine and an extra beat into her heart.  Tabitha blinked and the world came into a loose focus.  She rolled over and stared into the eyes of her lover.  Something seemed different.  Jack’s face seemed pale, almost all the fresh shades of pink and red were replaced by harsh white and gray. 

         Maybe it was the way the light from their TV danced across his face but Tabitha could sense something amiss.  Jack’s black hair looked wet.  His eyes were sunken with dark circles shading his otherwise handsome face.  The love that usually swam within his baby blues now seemed to be in an all out war with some dark force.  They were glazed over and she could make out her own reflection within them.  He was unshaven and there was a strange odor coming off him.  Blink.  More clarity.  Not enough to comprehend.  His hand was shaking as he pulled a strand of Tabitha’s blonde hair from her face.  He smiled weakly.  A grim smile not at all resembling his normal bright exuberant expression.
         
         “Hey sweetie.” he whispered.

         “Hey.”  Tabitha croaked out.  Her mouth felt void of moisture.  Blink.  More clarity.  “How was your trip?”

         Jack leaned closer.  He kissed her cheek softly.  A small shockwave.  She felt his stubble prick her skin.  The odd smell filled her nostrils.  That was the farthest thing from her mind.  Tabitha was just happy to see her husband, alive and well.  Jack leaned closer till she could feel his breath on her ear.  Cold and fast.  Goosebumps rose on her arm.  She missed him and being this close to her lover, feeling his breath, aroused her.  He drew in a breath and whispered,

“I died.”
© Copyright 2008 Troy Boesen (lordbruizer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1386130-Midnight