*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1386538-I-Tried-Some-of-Megs-Vegemite
Rated: E · Critique · Opinion · #1386538
This is not a critique of a WDC item, but of Meg's Vegemite
I'm sure you all know Meg Meg . We have exchanged smiles and laughs and pains etc. She recently wrote a poem extolling the greatness of an Australian 'wonder spread' (my words). Here's a link
SPREADING THE WORD.  (E)
What is this spread we Aussies love?
#1309930 by Meg
.

Well, I just had to know how it tasted, so I searched online until I found a site where I could order some. The Vegemite and Vita Weat biscuits arrived in a matter of a few days. I was so excited! I now could share an experience with Meg that she had enjoyed her entire life. I was all aquiver with anticipation as I put the biscuit (we in the U.S. would call it a cracker) on the plate. I got out the butter from the bread box and spread it on the biscuit. My cheeks ached from the grin that wouldn't go away as my tastebuds readied themselves for the delight from the Land of Oz.

I knew I would relish this vitamin-B-rich treat. After all I like brussel sprouts, liver, blue cheese (all by itself), and buttermilk. The list could go on. I unscrewed the lid. A black, shiny goo came into sight. My nose caught the aroma that wafted from the jar. I scolded my tastebuds as they tried to shrink back into their beds on my tongue. I told them they shouldn't judge anything by what my nose told them. They should try things for themselves. I put the same knife into the jar that I had used to spread the butter. (Meg told me butter would help if the taste was too strong) I spread the black shiny goo on top of the butter, thinly like Meg told me to. I put another biscuit on top and squeezed them together, just like Meg said to. And sure enough the Vegemite and butter worms squirmed out of the little holes in the biscuit. That part was fun, but then I put the butter-and-Vegemite-Vita-Weat-biscuit sandwich in my mouth.

Now, I love Meg. I want that fact to be perfectly clear. I have great respect for her and her beloved Australia. I would love to go there some day and get to meet her in person. I wish I could wrap my arms around her and hug in a sisterly fashion. I want to meet her children and grandchildren. I want to go to the 'shops' with her. I want to visit her husband's grave so I can tell him what a wonderful wife he had. (Did you know he was a Vietnam Veteran?)

But, if I ever get the chance to go there, I think I'll take some blue cheese spread with me.

© Copyright 2008 Daizy May (daizy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1386538-I-Tried-Some-of-Megs-Vegemite