*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1386650-The-Zelkaven-Sword-Chapter-2
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1386650
The second chapter in the Zelkaven Sword This follows Warlock for a bit
Chapter 2


As Warlock left town, he walked to the north of the town to see how the battle went.  He watched as the fight started and as Darian approached the leader.  He was disgusted as he watched the leader use trickery.  He found it interesting when the leader's hood fell and revealed he was a rat.  When the rats all disappeared, he headed to the forested area to the west to leave.

On the outskirts of the forest, he called his mount and walked in.  His mount, a shadow wing, appeared immediately once he was in the darkest area of the forest.  The animal had the look of a black wolf, but was six and a half feet tall at the shoulder and had wings.  They were used mainly to cross the sea as it was easier than traveling by boat.  Its eyes glowed a vibrant green as it watched Warlock approach.  Warlock allowed it to sniff him before mounting.  There was no saddle or harness as Warlock refused to use them.  He gave the signal and the shadow wing got a running start and leaped into the air.  Not only was this shadow wing the largest of its kind, it was also the fastest.  In one hour, they were landing back at Warlock's home, just over the sea on a secluded island.

As soon as he landed, one of his priests approached.  He showed no fear of the shadow wing and let it sniff him before speaking to Warlock, who was dismounting,  Where is Corwin?  He was to accompany you.  Was he afraid to the shadow wing again?

You know Synth terrifies him.  But, he did accompany me.  And pissed me off.  So, I left him.  Because of him, I got into a fight with the town's bard.  I'll send a shadow wing to fetch him soon.

That should teach my son some respect.  And maybe he will finally learn to understand shadow wings.  He is my eldest, but I cannot get him to learn the craft of handling and caring for the beasts.

If he does not learn, he will die.  With that, Warlock performed the call for a shadow wing.  Within seconds, a large six foot red appeared.  The wolf-like creature approached and Warlock let it sniff him.  He spoke softly to it,  Go and seek out Corwin.  He can be found near Saeryc Valley.  The shadow wing took off and Warlock turned to the priest.  If he fails, Daelon can take over.  I need to meditate.  Have none bother me until I am done.

As you wish, my lord.  The priest bowed and left.

One and a half hours later found Corwin waiting in the forest outside the village.  He knew he had pissed off Warlock by disobeying a direct order, but he did not wish to follow in his father's footsteps.  He was trying to decide what to do next when he heard a noise behind him.  He turned around and saw a red shadow wing.  He was amazed at the size and immediately backed off quickly.

Corwin was terrified of shadow wings.  He had been since he was young and watched his father feed and care for them.  They were very aggressive animals.  As he backed away, the beast stalked him.  He could never overcome his fear, and it had been only because of Warlock that Synth had ever allowed him on his back.

Corwin turned around and ran for his life.  He never paid attention to which direction he was heading and just ran deeper into the forest.  Within minutes the red shadow wing was upon him and bit into the back of his neck killing him instantly.  The red slowly devoured his meal happily.

Meanwhile, Warlock headed to his home and, once inside, sat down in the middle of his room and started his meditation.  In his meditation, he saw the same sights Darian had seen.  But, at the end, a woman appeared to him.  She had long red hair, pure black eyes, like Warlock's, and a flowing red dress.  Warlock had seen her in his meditations a lot, but this was the first time she spoke to him.  Warlock, my son, I need you to find that sword.  And, yes, I am the goddess, Letalia.  You are my son.

Then, I will do as you say.  Where shall I start?  Warlock was interested and wanted to know more, but he would not question his goddess and mother.

My loyal servant Valretia will be your first stop.  She is in Yavisyl Town.

Then I shall prepare and head out immediately.

No.  Wait three days.  The bard you fought earlier, he is Darian, son of the god, Vasilis.  He will also be after the sword.  I want you to deal with him as well.  He must not have the sword.  He will destroy it.  If you leave too soon, you will constantly be hounded by him.  Here, she handed him a red necklace with a black snake pendant, “Use this to call a serpent to you when you need.”

I see.  Three days it is, then.  Goodbye, mother.  Warlock ended his meditation and walked to the temple in the center of town.  He saw as the red shadow wing returned without Corwin.  He was not surprised.  As he neared the temple, the doors were opened for him by the guard at the steps.

Warlock entered the temple and walked to the priest in the center of the nearly empty main hall.  I have had a vision.  Our goddess, my mother, wishes me to leave on a quest in three days.  I need someone to follow me.

It was the same priest who he talked to earlier.  My son, Daelon, will be honored to accompany you.  He motioned at the young man behind him to come forward.

Daelon was approximately 25 years old and about 5' 9 .  He had long dark brown hair tied at his neck and his eyes were hazel.  He wore a red tunic and black breeches with red hiking boots.  He had a short sword sheathed on his left.  He bowed before Warlock and spoke with conviction,  I would be most honored if you would accept me to follow you.

Warlock was pleased,  Then you shall.  I will need you to prove yourself though.  You must ride a shadow wing.

Daelon smiled and stood up.  His smile seemed almost cruel.  I can.  If you wish, I shall prove it.

Fine.  Let us head outside and you shall call one.  Warlock and Daelon walked outside to the central area.  Now, call a shadow wing, Daelon.

Yes, my Lord.  Daelon performed the calling.  Within seconds the red that Warlock had called earlier appeared.  He sniffed Warlock and then turned to his caller.

At that moment, both Warlock and Daelon realized that the red was a wild shadow wing.  Daelon immediately took an aggressive step towards the red.  He had to show it that he was not afraid.  The red's eyes turned blood red and he growled menacingly at Daelon.  He stood his ground and waited for the red to approach him.  He wished to show that he was unafraid, but would not dominate the beast.  His father had taught him that the wild ones would never be truly tamed, but once befriended, were the most loyal.

The red approached, still growling, and sniffed Daelon.  Finding no fear in this man, as he had found plenty of fear in his encounter with this man's brother, his eyes turned green.  Once his eyed turned green, Daelon reached out and scratched behind his ear.

Warlock watched and gave no advice.  He felt the young man would have to prove himself to the red.  Once the red accepted Daelon, he was prepared to have the young man follow him.  You did exceedingly well, Daelon.  You may follow me.

Daelon smiled,  Thank you, my Lord.  It will be my pleasure to serve the son of my goddess.

Three days later, they were all prepared.  They called their shadow wings to them and were off to see Valretia.  They landed just outside the village of Varisyn just off the coast.  There they purchased horses and were on their way to Valretia’s.

© Copyright 2008 Evangeline Wolf (blkdrgnwlf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1386650-The-Zelkaven-Sword-Chapter-2