*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387227-The-D-and-the-R
by Deb
Rated: E · Other · Political · #1387227
Letting the D or the R do our thinking.
        The election season is upon us, and comparisons of candidates abound in the newspaper. Paid political advertisements will soon be repeated endlessly on television, the mud flying from here to there in an attempt to denigrate the opponent. This year weā€™ve had the addition of ā€œrobocallsā€ from candidates, who somehow believe that if they annoy us enough, weā€™ll vote for them.

        But letā€™s be honest. Most of us have found a fool-proof way of determining who we will cast our vote for, regardless of the character of the man or woman running for office or how outrageous their stand is on an issue. We simply look for the ā€œDā€ and the ā€œRā€ after a candidateā€™s name to tell us what we think.

        We donā€™t need to waste time researching a stand or voting record that way, and we know immediately which bumper sticker to put on our cars and SUVs.  Some voters justify this by saying that they vote for their party rather than the candidate, but men like Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson are currently spinning in their graves over the directions of their beloved parties. If you are one of the ā€œDā€ and the ā€œRā€ voters, you wonā€™t know that, though, since knowledge isnā€™t your strong suit.

        ā€œNot me,ā€ youā€™re saying? Test the premise, then. Try to read political articles without attaching to the party affiliation, and then THINK about the message. Do you agree with ā€œyourā€ candidate, or are you merely blindly following the letter designation? Do you have questions about the candidateā€™s stand? Are you willing to work to find the answers, not just accept the platitudes and empty slogans repeated endlessly?  We donā€™t have to register as Independents, but it would be nice if we at least thought independently.

        Go ahead. Give it a whirl. Our democracy is in trouble, and itā€™s going to take some intellectual effort to get us back on track.

© Copyright 2008 Deb (debrhan48 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387227-The-D-and-the-R