*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387463-Round-Dance
by Adair
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1387463
I had to write this story for band class believe it or not, in eighth grade.
“Round Dance”

Thinking

         
         Silvery moonlight filtered through the leaves and fell upon Princess Naiya.  She tucked her fur-lined shawl tighter against the chilly night air.  It lacked the biting cold of winter, but was found wanting of the mellow summer air.  Naiya sat in her small grove of trees, confident that she could not be seen.  She’d snuck out of the castle yet again to her secret thinking place.  During the day she had to be accompanied everywhere by a guard, so she used the comfort of night to sneak away.  Still, even under the cover of darkness, getting out of the castle was no easy task.  She and her handmaid exchanged clothes each night so Naiya could escape.
         The name Naiya means “Dreamer,” and that’s exactly what she was.  She would think and dream day and night.  Naiya thought of everything.  She was a very sensible and clever girl of fourteen.  She knew how fortunate she was to have all that she needed and then some, and she felt grateful for it.  Still, she longed to be “normal.”  Princesses could not do this, or that, and, most importantly, they could not marry for love.  Before she died, her mother always told Naiya, “You’ll learn to like, or even love, your husband after you’re married, Dear.  There’ll be plenty of time for that.”
         That did not satisfy Naiya at all.  However, she could dream of herself as “normal.”  She cold always dream.  In any case, Naiya did not think about that tonight.  She thought about her elder sister, Princess Wakanna, and the upcoming ball.  Naiya knew that there would be many suitors for her sister there.  Wakanna was tall and beautiful and sixteen, which was old enough to be married.  She was known for her fair complexion and golden curls.  Naiya was her opposite, with raven hair and a tanned complexion much like her father’s, King Felix II. 
         To finish up her evening of thinking, Naiya turned her thoughts to the mysterious garden door that was never opened after the death of the queen.  Naiya was full of curiosity about that door and was determined to slip away at the ball and find out what was behind the ivy-covered door.
         With her mind occupied with these thoughts whirling around, Naiya crept back past the guards and into the castle.


The Ball
         
         
         “And how will My Lady be wearing her hair tonight?” asked Mary, Naiya’s handmaid.
         “Oh, Mary, just leave it as usual,” sighed Naiya.
         “But, My Lady, the ball . . .” Mary began.
         “If you must, curl it and pin some up according to fashion, but you know how I hate to fuss with it.”
         “Yes, My Lady.”
         It was nearly time for the ball.  Anyone who walked into the castle would know that something was going on.  Servants ran excitedly to and fro and the general bustle of everyday work had a little bounce in its step.  Naiya was indifferent on the outside, but inside she was bursting with anticipation.  Not only did she love to dance, but tonight was the night that she would finally discover what was in that garden. 
         After her purple dress, diamonds, and hair were all arranged perfectly, Naiya went to the banquet hall to greet guests with her father and sister.
         “There’s my little Dreamer.” King Felix boomed in his deep voice.  The King was not large, but his voice made up for what he lacked in size.
         “Papa!” shouted Naiya as she hugged him fiercely. Then she turned and hugged her sister with a smile. 
         Soon enough, guests began pouring in. Royals and nobles from England, Spain, France, Austria, Russia, Germany, and more.  The band struck up a cheerful song and couples began dancing in all their splendor.  After a few dances, dinner was served at the long table that sat hundreds of guests.  Naiya sat near her father and a prince from Italy.  His name was Gustavi and he was a nice boy, about Naiya’s age.  They talked pleasantly during dinner under King Felix’s watchful eye.  The King was very protective of his youngest daughter.
         Minstrels serenaded the nobles throughout dinner, and the orchestra played after that.  People began dancing again.  Naiya danced so much that she was sure her slippers must have a dozen holes in each.  She dropped a hint to her father that she was going to rest for a while and then took her leave.
         Instead of heading toward her chambers, Naiya wandered through the corridors to the gardens.  She crept up to a corner and peered around it.  Mary was taking care of the guard, and right on time.  She is so good, though Naiya.  While Mary flirted, Naiya tiptoed to the ivy-covered door and peeked inside.

In the Garden

         
         What Naiya saw made her catch her breath.  The sun was low on the horizon, sending streaks of gold, pink, and red throughout the wonderfully green trees.  In the middle of the garden was a meadow.  It was lined with roses and all sorts of flowers that have different seasons at full bloom.  It was very still, and as Naiya stepped through the door, she thought the place could even be magical. 
         After she closed the door, a faint breeze blew by and some wind chimes and bells in the trees began tinkling.  For every ring of chime or bell a flower or leaf unfurled and a fairy crept out.  Naiya gasped at the sight.  They were beautiful little creatures, and seemed completely ignorant of the awestruck human watching them.  The fairies all joined hands in a circle in midair as a minstrel fairy started playing a clarinet.  He was joined by three others and the fairies in the circle began a slow and graceful dance.  Naiya just watched in amazement.  The fairies’ movements were so very precise and when she tried to copy them, Naiya found that it did not look nearly as good. 
         Then, another fairy stepped out and commenced with playing a trumpet.  Two others joined him and the dancing fairies picked up the pace.  They managed to keep the same grace and poise, however. 
         Next, two fairies came out equipped with panpipes and a flute and began playing.  One exceptionally beautiful fairy leaped into the middle of the circle.  She danced away as the fairies around her swayed to the music.  Naiya memorized the fairy’s steps and locked them into her mind. 
         At the sound of the trumpets, all the fairies danced together again.  Then, the beautiful fairy gave another solo performance.  Naiya stood mesmerized, swaying with the other fairies.
         Next, all the instruments played together, accelerating as they went.  The fairies danced differently then, with quicker leaps and bounds, but still with the same poise and grace.  They all ended face down in the air.
         Naiya held her breath as she watched the fairies get up, one by one.  They seemed to awaken from a deep sleep and it was then that they noticed her.  They crowded around and the soloist fairy stepped forward.
         “I am Nataani. Forgive the curiosity of my companions and I, but it has been a long while since any human came here.  Except for the King, of course.  And you,” here Nataani got a strange, faraway look in her eyes, “you look so like another who used to come.  It’s your eyes.”
         “Your dancing was beautiful,” Naiya breathed.  “I am Princess Naiya, youngest daughter of King Felix II and Queen Makani.  It is my pleasure to meet you, Nataani.  And all of you fairies.”
         “The pleasure is all ours.  Now, please, if you truly liked our dance, go and share it with your people.  It is the magical dance of the fairies, which, once seen, will never be forgotten.  Now, go,” said Nataani gently.
         “Yes, of course,” said Naiya, who was not used to taking orders, but this fairy was so authoritative, you could hardly help it.  She thanked them all, and left the garden, grateful that Mary was still distracting the guard.

Round Dance

         
         Naiya returned to the ball and was immediately swept into a dance with her father.  As soon as they finished, she went to the orchestra conductor and hummed a tune for him.  He adjusted his band, and she announced that she had a new dance that she would like them all to try.
         As the band played the magical fairy music, Naiya tried to copy the graceful moves of the fairies.  Spectators gasped and soon everyone joined in, holding hands in a circle around Princess Naiya.  They leaped and laughed and danced again and again. 
         
Epilogue
         
         
         Naiya never revealed where she had learned the dance, but her father knew.  It became the dance of choice in all Bohemian and European courts.  They called it “Round Dance,” but Naiya always knew of it as “The Dance of the Fairies.”
         Naiya ended up marrying Prince Gustavi of Italy, and they did end up loving each other.  Wakanna only married because she was forced to.  However, she did love her husband, Maximilian, after a few years of marriage.
© Copyright 2008 Adair (falen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387463-Round-Dance