*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387609-A-boy-called-echo
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Poetry · Women's · #1387609
a boy called echo. 2007
A boy called Echo.

A boy called echo lived in his mothers bosom. He had lived there happily for 8 years. Every day he would look up into his mothers eyes and ask her how much she loved him and every day she would answer ‘ more than anything in the world dear’ and he would ask her a thousand times before he would shut his eyes and dream sweet dreams . One day his mother started to get sick, but never over her beloved echo. Every day they would gaze at each other longingly as echo clung to her and asked the question ‘mummy how much do you love me?’ and each day she would give her reply. Then one morning his mother vanished for 5 whole days, returning clutching something small and new to her chest. Echo, almost starved, climbed up into her lap and looking up into her eyes asked her how much she loved him, but she didn’t hear him and his heart ached with more pain than his 8 years knew were possible.

………………………………..........

Echo grew up and found himself rather prone to wandering the streets late at night in the worst part of town looking for affordable company, it was here he met Viola. Viola was not a sweet girl and not great to look at, but good at her job. She had a vocabulary greater than any of the other girls and would offer her breast to Echo when he felt like crying. Echo fell in love and stayed up all night in pain wishing it would go away. Viola told him that she’d like to live in the country and Echo took her there. They rented an old wooden shack by the river where Echo would watch other people walk by and Viola would plant seeds that never grew. One day Echo decided to throw a party but Viola misunderstood and slept with all the guests. Echo moved to China.

………………………………..........

100 days came and went as Echo lay on an old mattress with a spring protruding the complimentary stained sheet. Echo decided to get a job. It was in doing this he met Betty. Betty worked the noodle stand on the corner of his street. Betty gave him extra noodles as a way of letting Echo know he could sleep with her if he liked, and on their third night together Betty taught Echo things he didn’t really want to know. Despite this Echo fell in love and stayed up all night drinking to try and make it go away. Betty told him that if they got married her uncle would make them rich. Echo married Betty and they travelled to Tennessee. Echo caught Betty showing Elvis a good time in the portaloo of the diner they‘d stopped at. Echo finished his burger and moved to Plymouth, but the weather didn’t suit him so he got on a boat.

……………………………….........


The captain found Echo hiding under a barrel and threw him off at Torquay. Echo climbed to the top of a hill and met a middle aged nun called Perpetua. Perpetua told Echo she had never slept with a man and showed him her glow in the dark rosary, she would hide him in the convent if he’d like. Echo fell in love and spent 8 years living under the stairs opposite the old whale bone. Perpetua visited him every night and  by the light of her rosary they would whisper hymns together and talk of a new life in Rome. On the night before Echo left a new priest had arrived and given Perpetua a gift, a solid gold rosary and a glint in the eye. Perpetua moved to Rome.
………………………………..............................

Echo bought some flowers to cheer himself up, it was in doing this that he met Stella. Stella was a flower girl. She showed him how to press flowers and stick them to old bits of card to sell in the market, but it was mainly cattle so no-one bought them, but they looked pretty and making them passed the time. Stella let Echo watch her and he did for 5 days. On the sixth day he fell in love. That night he showered 20 times to make it go away. Stella put petals in his food and pretended to know how to make old perfumes, but he didn’t mind. One morning Stella’s sister visited from Scotland and Echo decided he liked her instead. Echo moved to Scotland.

……………………………….............................

Echo left Scotland.

……………………………….............................

Echo booked himself a discreet room in Bradford and watched television for 30 days. Echo fell in love. Echo flew to the beach and asked Pamela to marry him but Security took him away.
……………………………….............................

Security was a strong girl, but Echo got used to that. Together they drunk beer and watched other couples on the sand. Echo fell in love. Security didn’t like that and told Echo to go away. Echo didn’t know where to go so walked across the continent telling tales to strangers for the occasional ride. It was in riding Emma that Echo knew where to go which pleased Emma. Emma fell in love and followed Echo. Echo told Emma to go away but she didn’t know where to go. Echo showed her.

………………………………...................................................................

Echo regained consciousness in the Pyramid club in Patpong, Lucky was dancing for him, Echo didn’t feel Lucky but the bartender charged him anyway. He ordered number 42 and was led down a narrow hall to the back room where he joined a cue. Number 42 didn’t speak English but bathed Echo’s feet forcing him to fall in love. Echo spent all night with number 43 to try and forget. Number 42 finished work and left for school. She asked Echo to keep her safe and for 4 years and half of Sunday he did just that. Over Sunday lunch Number 42 told Echo that Fred had been keeping her safe. Echo moved back to Scotland but Emma had got there first. Echo moved to Texas.

……………………………….......................

Lucy was out looking for love of a different kind when Echo strolled into town. Echo was in a bad state but took her anyway and anywhere for 12 days until she smelt bad and lay quite still. Echo loved Lucy. Everyone loved Lucy. Lucy loved love a little too much. Echo did not move. He lay there for 64 hours until the stench got too much and then jumped out of the back room window because he’d seen it on a movie and missed the trash can by the length of Lucy’s forearm, hit the concrete too hard and started to bounce.

………………………………................................

It was in bouncing that he bumped into Emma again, Emma had left Scotland looking for Echo. Emma still loved Echo, Echo still wanted Emma to go away but slept with her anyway. Emma told Echo she could never return to Scotland. Echo told Emma he was glad. Echo moved to Scotland but Emma had spoilt it. Echo got on a plane and flew to Mexico.

………………………………..........................................................

Echo bought himself a large hat from a tourist stand and took up smoking. It was in doing this that he met Carmella and Rita. Carmella wore floral print, and Rita smelt of rose petals and warm milk. Echo fell in love, twice. Rita and Carmella liked to fish whilst smoking cigarettes, which suited Echo. Rita decided she liked Carmella best who liked Echo best who liked Rita best. Echo decided is was best not to like anyone and returned to Texas to check on Lucy.

Lucy was in a bad state
Echo was in the wrong state. Echo fell over lucy. In falling he closed his eyes and felt the air with the underside of his little finger. Echo decided he liked falling and fell all the way back to the beginning.

……………………………….........................
*******************************************************************


*********************************************************************













© Copyright 2008 rachel loch (claudine8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387609-A-boy-called-echo