*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387894-Write-it-all-Away
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1387894
A whimsical piece I wrote in 4th grade off a prompt.
Write it all Away

Diana loved books, she loved libraries. And although she loved all libraries, there was one she favored above them all. Mr. Linden's library was the most mysterious library she had ever known. Mr. Linden always knew what Diana would like, day after day, book after book.

Diana's favorite genre of literature was the "old ones," as she always said. Somehow these books never failed to hold her attention because they were always more interesting and definitely more her style. Being alone with a book was, for Diana, like visiting a completely new universe.
One lazy Saturday afternoon Diana walked into the library; "Ah, Diana, I have just the book for you today,"said Mr. Linden in an uncharacteristically hidden meaning-ish tone. He  walked to the very back of the library and pulled out a very ancient looking book. "Mmmhmm, this is the one," he said more to himself than anyone else.
Then, he returned to the front desk and caressingly dusted off the cover. "Mr. Linden," Diana asked," what is the title?" "Oh, its just a simple piece entitled The Book of Mysterious Happenings, begun in 1452 by John Knorl." "What a peculiar title, very intriguing," mused Diana.
Then she checked out the book and headed to the door.
When she was almost out, Mr. Linden stopped her... "There's something I have to tell you," he called after her. "That book is said to have mystical powers and that everything written on its pages happened to someone reading it! Be careful," he warned her.
Diana walked out the door and began giggling uncontrollably. After she stopped chuckling, she walked thoughtfully homeward. When Diana arrived at her house, she walked upstairs and began to read.
As she was reading, she learned of all sorts of new and mysterious things such as living  dragons, centaurs, and tiny, very real people and animals. Before she had been reading for an hour, vines began growing out of the page! Diana fainted.
Though she was unconscious, the greenery continued to sprawl out and cover her room in a lush layer of green. Half an hour later, Diana woke up to a disaster! Her room was overtaken by vines and .... Little people. There were animals everywhere! "Mom!" she called nervously.
Her mother ran up the stairs and asked, "Diana, honey, whatever is the matter?" "Oh, nothing, except, well, I'm covered in vines!" "What do you mean? You don't even have a single houseplant in you room." replied her mother. "Contrary to what you might think, there are now dozens of green things in my room," stated Diana. "Darling, stop this nonsense, I am going to come in and show you that there is nothing living in you room!" said her mother, with just a touch of worry in her voice.
She tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge. She tried several more times, but to no avail. "Honey, unlock your door," commanded her mother. "I can't, I'm plastered to my bed by vines," said Diana, a little saucily.
At that moment, Diana had an idea, that might, just might, make all of this stuff disappear. She freed her hand and shut the book. Nothing happened. "Oh no, they're impossible to get rid of!" thought Diana frantically.
Suddenly, she had another idea... She wriggled around and grabbed a pencil off her nightstand, out from under a leaf. Then, she reopened the book and cleared away the existing vines. After that, she began recording everything that had happened from the time she got up that morning until now. And slowly, very slowly, everything cleared away.
Of course, she had been dreaming while everything grew, and met all the little people and the animals, yet it wasn't a dream.... It was another story.


© Copyright 2008 Tiny Tornado (lafalot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387894-Write-it-all-Away