*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1389712-Welcome-to-the-Nightmare
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1389712
Prologe to one boys insane journey, though it is full of secrets.
   
The tree had branches that resembled the long, bony fingers of the man in the moon; her trunk was thick and aged.  Purple moss ran up the east side of her and at the base laid many red mushrooms, which were humming quietly to them.  An unwelcome whisper ran through the air as a unique foot with deformed toes emerged from nowhere.
In the distance a unicorn screamed, as a beast of myth tore it to shreds; savoring the meat that is rarely ever caught.  His fangs impaled the flesh as if it were as delicate as silk.  The unicorn faded into shadow, quickly, while it’s young watched from the bushes, tears silently falling from its eyes.
A hooded creature with deformed toes walked like a ghost along the unkempt grass towards the beast of myth.  The beast only realized the creature was there when a sharp, yellow fingernail skewered the back of his head; causing him to seize from eating.  It turned its black eyes to face the unknown creature only to be impaled through his right eye.  He tried to claw at the hooded creature, but this is one battle he will not win. 
The beast’s body fell limp to the ground, creating a heavy thud.  The creature shrieked loudly, celebrating its easy defeat.  Patiently it moved over to the body of the dead unicorn; reaching a disfigured hand at it.  Slowly, it wrapped its fingers around the horn and with one fast pull, the creature ripped the horn right out of its head; placing it gently into its robe.
The tree swayed in the breeze as the creature faded back to the nightmare it came from.  The young unicorn slowly inched out of the bush that hid it so perfectly.  Before moving any further, it’s sad and empty eyes glanced around for any signs of that horrific creature.  There was nothing at all.  The wind was the only other moving thing that the young unicorn could see.  As fast as its hove would allow, he ran over to the body of his father.
He lay his head next to the bloody corpse, for he had no where else to go now.
The second sun began to inch its way into the darkness, leaving the abandoned unicorn venerable to the madness that awaits the darkness.  Quick footsteps could be heard running through the tall grass around him.  A quiet laughter was undeniable as the creatures of night emerged from the lairs.  Death was coming.
© Copyright 2008 E A Dillon (eadillon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1389712-Welcome-to-the-Nightmare