*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1392538-Nirvana
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ryeder
Rated: E · Other · Travel · #1392538
Pipedreams
One of my pipe-dreams is of a pickup, a dog, a rifle, a fishing pole, and a small log cabin sitting high on a mountain ridge where I could sit on my front stoop and watch the sun set. I’m starting to scare myself, but the unrealistic idea of such a peaceful existence is hard for me to resist. When I find myself drifting off to Nirvana, I follow the fantasy into these quiet, undisturbed regions for a short period of time, then think to myself that those moments of sitting stress free, watching a fiery end of day, would be almost every evening. Doesn’t sound too hard to take. I then begin to recognize that to actually live this way takes a great deal of work. I would have to begin each day by building a small fire in the wood stove so I could have my coffee and my breakfast. I would then have to take care of the daily chores of tending to the few vegetables I use, and splitting up another pile of wood for the stove. Depending on the season……..or not, I would take either my rifle or my fishing pole and attempt to provide some protein to go along with my vegetables. If I am lucky, I will have a meat and potato meal, and if not, I can open a can of Spam, or a can of tuna fish and pretend. No pressure.

I am reminded of an old man I met many years ago. He was a man who gave up the fast paced world of small town life, and moved into the back woods of Maine. I wish I could remember all the stories he told. This old man is gone now, but if you’re interested, find the movie called, “Dead River Rough Cut.” The documentary of Bob Wagg, and his friend, Walter, and their way of life in the Maine wilderness. I am sure there are websites in Maine who sell you this movie.

But for now, the mental picture of Nirvana is sufficient for me as I do enjoy the conveniences of civilized life.

Rv-visions.com
© Copyright 2008 ryeder (ryeder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1392538-Nirvana