*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393108-Selecting-a-Birdbath
Rated: E · Article · Environment · #1393108
Bird watching is one of the fastest growing outdoor activities in the world.
Selecting a Birdbath

There are several things to consider when selecting a birdbath for your backyard bird sanctuary.  Birds, like many swimmers, want to ease into the water.  A shallow birdbath with a sloped bottom is the best, and the water should be no deeper than 3 inches in the center.  If you already own a deep birdbath, raise the bottom with rocks and pebbles.  The rocks will make it harder to clean but it will be more appealing to the birds.

Birds, like people, can lose their footing on a slick surface.  Glazed birdbaths are pretty, but they will not attract as many birds as the classic cement birdbaths. 

The splash and gurgle of moving water will dramatically increase the number of visitors to your birdbath.  Hummingbirds will not wade in standing water but will repeatedly zip through the spray from a fountain or dripping water.

You can purchase a birdbath with built in drippers and fountains, or you can create your own dripper.  Hang a small bucket with a ½ inch hole in the bottom above the birdbath.  Plug the hole with a piece of cloth and fill with water.  The cloth will act as a wick allowing a steady drip of water.

The location of your birdbath will have a drastic impact on its popularity.  If it is too close to shrubbery, even the prettiest sounding birdbath will be ignored.  Cats have been known to use shrubbery to conceal their presence until the bird’s feathers are weighed down with water.  Their flight to safety will be slowed giving the cats an unfair advantage.  So, place your birdbath at least five to ten feet from landscaping bushes.

The ideal location is directly under some branches that hang within two or three feet of the birdbath.  That way the birds have an escape route even if they are weighed down with water.  Placing the birdbath on a pedestal adds another layer of protection from predators.  It also makes it easier to see from the house and you don’t have to stoop to clean it.

The birdbath water will need to be changed at least every few days, so make sure it is within easy reach of the hose.  Use a stiff bristled brush to shrub out the algae and removing droppings before refilling with fresh water.

Keep yourself in the picture.  If you have narrowed down the placement to two equally good sites, choose the one with the best view from the house.  Once your birdbath is in place and filled with cool, clean water, pop some corn and settle back into a comfortable chair.  The show is about to begin. 

Elizabeth Jean Allen
southcarolinabirder.com
© Copyright 2008 Elizabeth Jean Allen (bjbelekis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393108-Selecting-a-Birdbath