*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393217-Home
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1393217
The story of a boy
The flames floated gently up, licking the sky. The timbers suddenly crashed to the ground, causing the walls to cave in. I stumbled, tripping over a tree root. I clambered up, still staring at the fire. Captivated, i was helpless to look away. The wind picked up suddenly, and i was whipped by a hanging tree branch. Cursing, i moved away, holding the side of my face. Yet, i still stared at the fire, until stiff hands grabbed my shoulders and spun me round. I stood facing an Imperial guard. "Boy, what do you think your doing!? get out of here!" he said, vehenemce in his voice. I cringed inide. "Um, ye-yes sir" i stuttered, now suddenly eager to leave. He looked at me with a straight face. "Well, you better get moving then!" he nearly shouted, then shoved me. I stumbled, now wanting to run. In the end, i did. I ran as fast as i could for what seemed like hours. Eventually i was forced to stop to catch my breath. Leaning on a tree, i looked back across the horizon. I could still see the flames, but now the sun was rising, casting a golden glow across at me, nearly blinding me with its glow. I turned away, and started walking along a crude road. It was right by the sea, with the waves crashing against the rock, making noises like a dragon roaring. The wind was still strong, numbing my feet. I started running again, to get the feeling back to my feet. I climbed over a hill and saw a cabin, smoke coming out of the chimney, and the wind forcing the smell of roast chicken towards me. I smiled, and started walking towards the smell. My smile grew wider. I was home.
© Copyright 2008 TheSwordOfFire (theswordoffire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393217-Home