*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393738-The-Mystical-Ring
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #1393738
A paranormal story based on a real life occurence . . .
Dedicated to my friend, Stacey - sbutke - whose real life experience was its inspiration.


Stacey walked with her friend Jan along the streets of the centuries-old, laid-back southern town.  A balmy breeze, tinged with a salty tang, swirled around them, fluttering their skirts and tousling their hair.  Stacey took a deep breath and slowly exhaled.  "I just love this town, it makes me feel so alive!"

Jan laughed.  "Well, it sure has a personality all its own."

"It sure does," Stacey enthused, gazing up at the ancient apartments above tiny storefronts displaying a variety of antiques, books, jewelry, and just about everything imaginable. 

"Oh," Jan exclaimed, grabbing Stacey's arm and pointing to a portrait in a shop window. 

Stacey stepped closer to admire the head-and-shoulders painting of a young woman dressed in a gown appearing to be from the mid-1800s.  "She's beautiful," she sighed.

"But look closer!  Her eyes, her mouth - especially her eyes - that could be you!"

Stacey laughed.  "Yeah, right!  It's probably me in a past life!  Maybe I lived here and was very happy.  Maybe that's why I love this town so much."  She giggled.  "Come on, let's go find a cup of coffee."

"Okay," Jan said grudgingly, giving her a feigned pout.  "But I still say it looks just like you!"

"Okay, I'll rush right in and buy it.  Then I'll take it home and hang it over my mantle, all right!  Come on, I smell freshly-baked pastries."

The two friends locked arms and swung, laughing, on down the street to a quaint little sidewalk café.

While they sipped coffee and indulged in warm beignets, they discussed their plans for the rest of the day.

"There are just so many places to explore," moaned Stacey.  "I hope my feet don't give out before we get to visit them all."

"Speaking of exploring, see that place across the street?" She pointed to a tiny shop with "Serendipity" scripted in gold across the front.

Stacey turned and gazed at the storefront.  "Yeah, so what about it?"

Jan shrugged.  "I don't know," she said slowly.  "I just don't remember ever seeing it before."

"Okay, well, as soon as we finish our coffee, let's go check it out."

A little while later, they dashed across the street and paused in front of the display window.  Behind the glass was scattered an assortment of books on various areas of spiritualism and the occult surrounded by an array of different colored stones and crystals that gleamed and sparkled in the sunlight.

"Oh, look," Jan cried,  "they have crystals!  Let's see if I can find my magic stone!"

Stacey laughed and followed her to the entry.  As they opened the door, the aroma of incense wafted around them.  Pausing to allow her eyes to adjust to the dimly lit interior, Stacey noted that the muted lighting came from hanging lamps with stained-glass shades that glowed warmly on the dark paneling.

Jan rushed to a counter where a woman with flowing, auburn hair stood behind basket after basket of various-sized crystals; just awaiting Jan's inspection.  Stacey followed along and watched for a while as her friend picked up stone after stone, holding it in her hand and concentrating on whatever vibrations emanated from it.  Soon becoming bored, however, she wandered off to peruse the store's other offerings.

She strolled across the aisle to inspect a rack of brightly-colored scarves under the sign:  "Meditation shawls" then moved on to examine the titles on a shelf of books.  She was flipping through a mediumistic volume, when a glowing light across the room caught her attention.

As she approached the area, she saw that the glow came from a glassed-in jewelry display case.  Ah, jewelry, she thought, knowing how irresistible all those pretty baubles were to her.  The sparkling jewels and gleaming mountings drew her like a magnet as she leaned closer to the case.  A rustling sound grabbed her attention and she turned to see a woman approaching.

The rustle issued from the long swirling black skirt the woman was wearing.  Stacey noted the multiple strands of rope necklaces set with stones of every imaginable color;  her gaze continued upward to the ancient face bearing a benign smile beneath soft limpid eyes and a black turban.  "May I show you something?" she asked in a musical voice.

"Oh," Stacey enthused, "everything is just so beautiful, I don't know where to start."

The woman's smile widened.  "Start anywhere you like."  She moved behind the case and waited.

"I really like that garnet ring.  It's my birthstone, you know."  The woman handed her the indicated ring and Stacey slipped it on her finger and held out her hand, assessing the effect.  She shook her head, slipped off the ring and returned it.  Her gaze wandered over the many pieces displayed, but kept returning again and again to one particular item.  "May I see that one, please," she said, pointing to a gold ring containing a dark green stone.

"Of course."  She reached into the case, withdrew the ring and handed it to Stacey.

"Oh, it's beautiful!" Stacey said somewhat breathlessly as she gazed into the large, emerald-cut stone, mounted on a simple setting that in no way detracted from the beauty of the gem itself.  She slipped it on her finger and held it out to admire.  Her finger seemed to tingle with a strange warmth.  Taking it off, she flipped over the price tag; then shaking her head, she sighed deeply, and reluctantly returned the ring to the clerk.  "Thank you so much.  It's lovely, but . . ."

The elderly woman gave her an understanding smile and Stacey turned slowly away and re-crossed the shop to where Jan was still checking out crystals. 

Stacey picked one of the stones, held it in her hand and waited for some indication of a response.  Feeling nothing, she replaced that piece and selected another.  When several tries produced no results, she again began wandering around the store.  She struggled to ignore the glow of the jewelry case and the pull of the strange green stone that nestled therein.  At last, Jan came up behind her.

"You ready?"

Stacey nodded.  "Did you find anything?"

"I got a couple, I'm going to try meditating with them and see what happens."

"Good.  So where to now?"

"There's an old house just down the street that they've turned into a museum.  You want to check it out?"

"We might as well."

For several hours they toured shops and galleries as Stacey tried to force the image of the ring out of her mind. 

As they neared the riverfront, Jan suggested, "Why don't we grab some lunch and eat at River Park?  Maybe there'll be some street musicians there."

Somewhat glumly, Stacey followed her lead. 

A few minutes later, they carried their Po' Boys and drinks to a bench fronting the river.  Jan hungrily attacked her sandwich.  Stacey picked at her food while staring moodily over the water and listening to the melancholy tones of a wailing alto saxophone that floated on the warm air. 

Eventually she noticed Jan watching her with a quizzical expression in her eyes.  She blushed and took a small bite.

"Why so glum?" Jan demanded.  "What happened to your usual happy mood?"

Stacey shrugged.  "I was just thinking . . ."

"About what?"

"Well," Stacey began slowly.  "You know that shop where you got the crystals?"  Jan nodded.  "There was this ring there.  It was really beautiful with this dark green stone."  She paused, trying to sort through the flood of feelings that were rushing through her mind.

"And?  So what about it?"

"I don't know.  I just can't seem to get it out of my mind.  I know it sounds crazy, but it's almost like it's calling me, somehow!"

"So what's the big deal?  When we finish lunch, we go back there and get it.  Then you can go back to being your normal upbeat self."

"Oh, but I can't.  It's way too expensive."

"Nonsense!  Aren't we, after all, celebrating your promotion?  I think that calls for a reward.  Reward yourself with that ring."

Stacey sighed.  "I really would love to have it.  It just felt so right when I had it on my finger."

"So your finger can give it a permanent home!  Now eat, and we'll go right back there."

"Yes, Mother."


A short time later the girls reentered Serendipity and were greeted by a perceptive look and a smile from the wizened-faced lady.

Stacey gave the woman a broad grin.  "I've come back for that dark green ring," she announced.

The woman smiled knowingly, took the ring from the case and passed it to Stacey, who immediately slipped it on her finger.  Instantly she felt a tingling sensation that spread its happy warmth throughout her entire body.

"What is this stone?" she asked the attendant.

"Oh, it's not a gem stone at all, not by the usual definition anyway.  It's called Moldavite.  Several million years ago, a meteorite from outer space crashed into a Czechoslovakian mountainside.  Some people believe it is the meteorite itself and others believe that the molten meteorite fused with the stone of the mountain combining the elements of both. It's said to enhance the owner's connection to the universe."

Stacey gazed deeply into the stone.  "Is that what seems to make it so . . . special?"

The older woman's smile widened.  "Moldavite chooses its owner.  Its purpose is to guide the owner's life in the right direction.  If it is not meant for you, you will lose it or it will simply disappear.  Because its energies are so powerful it's a good idea to keep it near you all the time when you first acquire it."

"I don't think I'll ever take it off.  It makes me feel so warm and content."

Jan gazed at Stacey intently.  "Why are you blushing?"

Stacey's hands flew to her cheeks.  "I didn't know I was.  I do feel a little warm."

The woman smiled.  "Not to worry.  That's just the moldavite flush, it happens when you first come into contact with the element."

"Okay," Stacey answered, feeling somewhat dazed.

Jan nudged her.  "You now have the ring and we've got a lot of places to go yet.  We'd better get moving."

Stacey nodded and followed her to the door.  As they walked down the sidewalk, she felt as if she were floating above its surface.

"Let's go check out that portrait," she said, gazing at her new ring.  "I think she was wearing a ring just like this."


Inside, the wizened woman smiled at the one with auburn hair who had been watching the scene unfold from a short distance away.  "See, I told you she would be back!"

The younger woman nodded, "And you were right as usual."

"Come," she nodded to her companion.  "Our work here is done!"

In an instant the women, the shop and the entire inventory disappeared.  Passers-by on the street outside saw only an abandoned weathered storefront whose windows were covered with many layers of dust and grime.


© Copyright 2008 Jaye P. Marshall (jayepmarshall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393738-The-Mystical-Ring