*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1394558-Thoughts-on-Golfers
by rl
Rated: 18+ · Monologue · Sports · #1394558
most golfers think they are better than they are
1.  A bad read cannot be overcome with a good putt.  Only a bad putt can overcome a bad read.

2.  Most golfers think they are a good putter having a bad day.  How many times do you hear someone say, "I can't make anything today!"?  The fact is they couldn't make anything yesterday or the day before either.  They may have had one good round of golf where they were lucky and made several putts.  That round becomes the standard by which they judge themselves.

3.  When a good shot occurs for us we think it is well deserved good fortune.
When it occurs for our opponent we think it is blind dumb luck.

4.  Giving golf lessons all day must be the equivalent of a psychiatrist's listening to people's problems all day.

5.  I have never understood, on the first tee, the hypocrisy of wishing your opponent good luck.

6.  I don't understand how someone can derive pleasure from winning with strokes from his handicap.  If Carl Lewis gives you enough head start you can beat him in the 100 meter dash. 

7.  I have never understood why people say they would "rather be lucky than good".  It's better to be good with some luck thrown in.

8.  How many times have you heard someone say the putts always break toward the mountains, ocean, highway, lake, etc.  Putts break the way the ground tilts and the grass grain grows with no other influence (with the possible exception of a strong wind).

9.  They say trees are 90% air.  So is a tennis racket.

10.  I wonder, does a person's real personality come out after a birdie or a triple bogey?

11.  Golfers have more than one handicap.  They may be a one handicap with their driver, a ten handicap with their irons and an eighteen with their putter. 

12.  Golfers know they are in trouble when they're facing a two club wind and their longest club is for that distance.

13.    The only time direction (line) is as important as speed of a putt is when the putt has a straight line.  All other putts have a break (curve) which can have more than one line.  In those putts speed is always the more important factor.

        rlkilgore
© Copyright 2008 rl (rkilgore at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1394558-Thoughts-on-Golfers