*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1394840-The-Vessel-Chapter-The-Masquerade
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1394840
An incomplete entry from my fantasy novel 'The Vessel'
How simple it is to hide the truth without telling a single lie. 
Lorna took a few steps to retreat into a hallway off the grand room.  Her thoughts only momentarily drew her away from the onslaught of people talking and laughing.  She wasn’t sure if her headache was from the noise or the wine.  She decided it must be the noise and took a large sip.  The rich flavor of the red liquid was intoxicating and she closed her eyes for a moment to take in the full aroma.  It warmed her chest and belly as it went down. 
The hall was mainly filled with the servants rushing by.  The grand displays of food had to be kept full and fresh.  Lorna had to admit that the queen had really outdone herself this year.  There were scented candles at every turn, imported and domestic wines of every taste, several different ales, roasted boar, venison, and turkey.  Exotic fruit from the East Isles had spectacular colors and even better tastes.  Desserts spread across over a dozen tables from fine lemon tarts to rich dark chocolate mousse.  There was an impressive chocolate sculpture at each one, from castles to horses to the largest, a dragon that sprawled the length of one great table.  There was more than one could taste in a whole month, yet some of the guests seemed to be trying their best as they methodically rotated to each table, sampling a little of everything. 
         The Grand Masquerade was the largest celebration in all of Acoriah and it was the only event that brought together all citizens of the domain.  The tradition began over three hundred years ago after the Blood War.  None were turned down at the doors, as long as they wore a mask of some fashion.  The masquerade was a symbol of community among Acorians. Where all those, no matter station made or born, were viewed equally.  There were always those royals who turned there noses to the obvious poor farmer and his wife who tried to converse with them.  However, most of them behaved fairly well now after the incident when King Eston had dressed as a poor farmer might.  It was the only time that it was acceptable that the king revealed himself and the royal who so rudely insulted his ‘station.’  Apparently the flustered Count of Bramwell apologized frantically and retired rather early that night.  It was a good lesson for those who needed it instilled. 
Lorna noticed the man staring at her from across the hall.  His green eyes revealed more of his thoughts then she cared to know.  His dark hair was slicked back, reflecting the bright candle light.  Although he wasn’t exactly expected, she wasn’t surprised to see him.  He had a knack for targeting certain individuals and after all, she looked the part tonight.  She gave him a warm smile.  He returned the smile and waited for a flustered woman from the kitchen staff to rush past before starting her direction.  She kept her eyes locked on his emerald gaze as he strutted towards her. 
“My dear lady, I hope to find you well tonight” 
Liar.  You hope to find me drunk.
“That you do sir.”  She let her smile widen invitingly then sipped some more wine.  She loved dealing justice.
“I must say that mask does nothing to hide your true identity” He winked his right eye.
“Really? “  She gave him a suspicious look. 
“I was sure I could have fooled the Grand Vizier himself.”  And I did.
“Ah, my lady, nothing could mask such beauty.”
Lorna took a long sip of wine.  She noticed his gaze darting below her face.
“Such flattery is not warranted on me dear sir.”  She took another sip of wine, licking her lips slowly after.
“But you are wrong my lady.  You’re beauty must surpass that of legends.  I am flattered that you choose to converse with me, being a simple man.” 
Simple man?  Strange claim for the Count of Bramburg.  Reemus of Bramburg, his arrogance poured out of his pores, melding with the stench of northern ale.  He was the epitome of snobbish royalty.  He dressed a bit more simply to fool others, but there were too many tells for that to make the slightest difference for Lorna.  His swagger was too measured and posture too proper.  His eyes were filled with lust, and he periodically licked his lips, something he always did in the presence of a woman.  It gave her chills whenever he did it.  The obvious sign though was simply the chain around his neck.  The pendent was hidden beneath his slightly wrinkled shirt.  She didn’t need to see it.  The chain was gold, but most remarkable was the delicate gage of the links, it almost looked like filigree.  She had seen the chain, and the emerald pendant that hung to the middle of his chest, every encounter with the Count.
“Thank you, but be sure I am just a simple woman.”  She flashed a shy smile.
“Nonsense, I can tell you do not give yourself due credit Lady….?”
Lorna shook a finger at him and feigned a hint of anger. 
“Now, now, this is a masquerade and I have no intention of revealing my identity to anyone.  I am here to enjoy a night away from the labels others put upon me.”  It was the perfect line, delivered with a perfect hint of a Red Haven accent.  She saw the flicker in his eyes.  It was the confirmation he was looking for. 
“Of course my dear, I have no intention of asking you to reveal your….face.  I would however, be so delighted if you would keep company with me for a while.  I have found no other lady so intriguing.” 
He bowed deeply at the waist. 
To think such dramatics have truly enticed women to his chambers.  Hundreds of times so I hear.
Lorna cocked her head and looked up as if trying to ponder his request.  “I think I would like that.”  She gave him a warm smile.  She took another long sip of wine, finishing it.  She could feel his hungry eyes on her.  She reached over and set the glass on the highly polished, cherry wood table next to him.  “I have wanted to visit the Queen’s garden.  Would you escort me?  It is such a lovely evening outside.”
The Count’s posture stiffened.  His face went ashen momentarily.  “Are you sure you will not be too chilly to be out walking in the night breezes without…..”
“Don’t be silly, the weather is perfect!”  Lorna interrupted.  “I must go attend to something quickly, but I can be by the garden entrance in 10 minutes.”  She gave him a knowing smile, lightly dragging her fingers across her chest.
Just enough to get him to take the risk.
He licked his lips twice.
“I shall eagerly await you then.”  He took a deep breath and forced a smile but his eyes revealed mounting anxiety.

*****

Lorna rushed past the servants and swept her way back into the great room.  The Queen’s garden was on the west side of the ball room chambers but she needed to make a detour and “attend” to something first.  She headed toward the south ballroom, wound through lords and ladies dressed in fantastic, albeit outrageous, outfits and some more subdued and even plain.  Many wore masks that portrayed brilliant butterflies, birds, and even horses.  Others only decorated their faces with a simple black or colored mask, just across the eyes.
It became popular as of late to incorporate fantastic face painting to the already elaborate masks.  Those artists that held such painting talents could make a year’s worth of normal wages in one day if they serviced the right clientele. 
Lorna noticed one mask with an asymmetrical design, she thought it was unique.  Then again, the woman wearing it was none other than Lady Grennira.  Lorna recognized her glossy raven lockes and the distinct hue of her blush and lip color.  She recalled her face paint from a previous meeting with the Lady over trade negotiations.  Rosha Grennira was a smart and tactful woman.  She handled much of the Rohtung District’s commerce since her husband fell ill 6 months ago.  She seemed a fast learner and Lorna was impressed at how she stood up to the larger districts when they tried to take advantage of her homeland.  Unfortunately, such intelligence and strength were not found to be good qualities by most men in power these days.  Poor Rosha will always be fighting for their respect and probably never get it.
Lorna continued pressing through the party goers until she found her prize.  A fairly short, stout woman was surrounded by several others near the desert tables.  The woman was wearing a powder blue gown, over-decorated with sparkling beads.  It must have taken her seamstress weeks just to sew the beads.  It may have been worth it if the dress was tasteful, but it wasn’t.  The plunging neckline was unnecessary to show off her large cleavage. The woman’s chest was spackled with glitter, giving it an un-earthly sheen.  Priscilla Wellvorne always tried to dress to impress.  She could overhear Priscilla’s haughty voice, telling a story of how a dirty serving girl bumped into her with a tray of blackberry relish.  Lorna then noticed the dark stain on the upper bust seam, right at the center line. She closed the short distance and stood behind a richly dressed woman with long, blonde ringlets.
“Excuse me ladies.”  They all turned to peer at her.  She noticed a few subtle smirks.  Lorna ignored them and directed her eyes to Priscilla in the middle. 
“I was asked by a gentleman to ensure that my lady will be visiting the Queen’s Garden at half past eight this evening.” 
The woman gave a knowing, arrogant smile.  “Yes, yes I will be there of course.”  Priscilla waved her right hand for effect, as if Lorna was a servant to dismiss.  Lorna noticed her first two fingers and thumb were stained dark purple.
Priscilla started to turn her attention to the other women.
Lorna interrupted again “My lady, he also would ask that you meet him at the white lilies instead of the tea roses and that you should bring some friends along, he has something important to tell you.” 
“Oh, really?”  Her pudgy face gave a wide grin.  “Well, then if that is what he wishes, I am more than happy to oblige, of course.”
Priscilla curtly turned her back to Lorna and began chattering excitedly to her circle. 
Satisfied, Lorna quickly zigzagged her way back through the crowd and headed towards the west side of the grand room.

********

A soon as she entered the west end she could smell the fragrant garden as the perfumes carried in on the evening breeze.  She could pick out the distinct aroma of the white lily.  It reminded her of her mother.  Somehow she always smelled like the rare flower, even when there weren’t any about.  Lorna thought she must have had a perfume made of the flower essence, but could never find evidence of it.  So many things about her were magical.  Lorna only wished she was still around to hold her and share her secrets. 
Lorna spotted Reemus waiting at the garden entrance.  He stood nervously, shifting his weight back and forth.  He craned his neck this way and that, desperately trying see into the mass of patrons.  He spotted Lorna and gave a quick hurried wave to her, telling her to come along quickly.  She returned a warm smile and did her best to squeeze through the crowd.  Once she reached him, he firmly pushed her with his hand on her lower back as they entered the garden. 
“Well my dear, where should we start?” he asked hurriedly.
“Well, I was thinking I would love to see the tea roses…”  Lorna saw his face lose color.
“But, I guess it would be just so crowded, seeing as they are the most loved flower.  Perhaps we should visit some other part that is, well, more secluded and quiet.”  Lorna feigned her best shy smile before continuing.
“I was told the lilies are quite a site to see and they are at the farther end.”
The color was returning to the Duke’s face.  He licked his lips and smiled.
It took a good ten minutes to reach the lily garden.  Very few lamps were lit this far out into the garden, but the moon was full and bright, casting deep shadows from the hedges.  Most of the walkways through the garden were lined with the eight foot tall hedges.  It made the garden feel like a maze.  Lorna remembered running through the garden as a child, pretending danger lurked around each corner.  She fiercely defeated her imaginary foes with her trusty wooden sword.  She performed great feats of heroism with the aide of her loyal companion, Patch.  He would bark and snap at the apparent beasts hiding in the hedge, tail wagging the whole time.  Being here always brought back a flood of memories.
© Copyright 2008 C M Allen (midorii88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1394840-The-Vessel-Chapter-The-Masquerade