*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395255-The-Hidden-Siren-ch1
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1395255
My take on a greek myth. Your opinion is wanted here.
The fire burned brightly in front of me. I watched as the smoke snaked its way to the sky. I wondered if I should really do this for a moment. Screw it. I took my first puff of a cigarette ever. The smoke met my lungs and I coughed. It felt good though as if smoking it removed stress off my shoulders. The river in front of me gently flowed by. I watched the clouds float on the air. What would it be like to see the Earth from a clouds perspective I wondered. Yeah. I'd like to do that someday. My lungs burned as I took a second puff. I lay on the ground feeling the grass press against my back. This place was somewhere I could go to think. This was, however, the first time I came here at night. From now on it would also be a place to smoke to forget high school and home problems. As I finished off the cigarette and flicked it into the water I wondered if I should go home. Eh. Home could wait a moment longer. That's when someone or something crashed ontop of me.

"I'm so sorry!" I heard her say as she got off of me. I rubbed my chest as it ached badly.

"No probs" I managed to say without showing my pain.

"Its just that..." she began "this is the spot i normally go to evernight. People never come so i didn't expect you to be there".

"Its okay really" i said grining at her dark figure outline. "I was just going anyway" I said as I began to get up.

"Wait....don't go" she said with a sad look in her eyes. I lay back down and was surprised when she did the same. Instead of next to me she laid against my side with her head on my chest. I petted her gently and then just held herfor hours. She felt so comfortable I almost dozed off a couple of times. We didn't talk. No questions. I would wait until she was ready to talk. Pretty soon i found her sleeping peacefully. Is this really happening I thought. I fell asleep as the sun came up and when I awaoke she was gone. After smoking another cigarette I ran home.
© Copyright 2008 Eric Bukai (bukai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395255-The-Hidden-Siren-ch1