*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395884-The-First-Waltz
by Emmie
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1395884
Elizabeth finds natural grace with a familiar partner
The First Waltz

Elizabeth smoothed the skirt of her emerald satin gown as she watched the dancers on the floor. She knew the string quartet would play a waltz next, the most prominent dance of the ball, and her dance card was empty for that slot. What was she going to do? This was her debutante ball and she wouldn’t have a partner for the most important dance of the night.

She looked across the room at her guardian, Lady Stapleton, and tried to force a self-assured smile as she wished the wall behind her would open up and swallow her. She wanted to be a success but her empty dance card spoke volumes about how well society accepted her. She had no clue how to change this around.

“Miss Chatham, would you honor me with this next dance,” a familiar voice asked at her left shoulder and she turned to find William Stapleton standing next to her. She grinned, relieved to see a familiar face.

“William, I didn’t know you would be here,” she stated.

“I wouldn’t miss it; this is your debut.”

She blushed and fidgeted with her skirt. “I’m afraid I’m a failure. Your mother will be so disappointed in me – she didn’t send you over, did she? I would be supremely embarrassed if this was a pity dance.”

He chuckled as he lifted her hand and kissed her knuckles. “I assure you, pity is the last of my reasons for asking you to dance.”

“But I don’t know how! I’ve barely learned the others; I’ll be lost in a waltz,” she declared. “Besides, I’ve already been deemed too clumsy to dance with any dignity. It’s likely I’ll trod all over your toes.”

He lifted her chin and forced her to meet his gaze. “Let me worry about my toes,” he told her and took her hand as the first strains of a waltz were heard. Her heart pounded as he led her onto the dance floor and turned her until she faced him. He placed her hand on his shoulder and placed his hand on her waist as he held up her other hand. He gently squeezed the hand he held and she looked up into his eyes.

“Do not look anywhere but here,” he told her. “And trust me.”

She gave the briefest nod as the dance began. She did as she was told, her eyes never leaving his as she allowed her body to follow his all over the floor. She was surprised when the dance ended and she found she hadn’t stepped on his toes. She enthusiastically clapped for the quartet and triumphantly grinned as William led her off the floor.

“You are a lovely dancer, Miss Chatham; you have a natural grace that surpasses most of the women here,” he declared, leaning close so only she could hear, and she blushed. She demurely looked away before looking up to meet his gaze again.

“I had a good teacher,” she replied and he inclined his head. “Thank you.”

“The pleasure was all mine,” he told her and kissed the back of her hand before he straightened. “I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening.”

She opened her mouth to ask about a second dance when another gentleman approached her.

“Miss Chatham, would you honor me with a dance this evening?” the young Viscount asked and she graciously smiled as William excused himself and disappeared into the crowd around them.

“Thank you, Mr. Chapman, that would be lovely,” she agreed as she spotted another eligible bachelor making his way towards her. She began to think she may not be a failure after all as she added Mr. Chapman’s name to her dance card.


Word Count:620
© Copyright 2008 Emmie (emmied78 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395884-The-First-Waltz