*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1396745-The-Order-of-Righteousness-1st-Chapter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by IDWBC
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1396745
A gang's mission to eradicate government.


Epilogue: This story is set in the fictional state of Westview within the not too distant future. Unlike other states and countries, Westview's government runs under the five leaders of the parties, who govern the state in its entirety. Decisions are made through majority vote from the leaders, however this is seen to cause rifts through the parties, resulting in war and conflict. Some of the leaders are also corrupted, involved in gangs and therefore giving them influence to major decisions. Throughout its cities and suburbs, Westview also seems to be taken over as such by a criminal movement known as the Order Of Righteousness, who have been killing not only normal Westview citizens, but also government leaders of the state. However, the order's plan seemed to be halted when their leader, Christian Wyclef is caught and arrested, sentenced to prison for 10 years before being given a death sentence. Curious, and looking for a good story, Westview Chronicle journalist Aster Tadleigh is hoping to find out what the Order Of Righteousness is, and what it plans to achieve with this beloved state...


Aster Tadleigh was excited. Well, not so much excited as such, but there was no other way to describe the emotions washing through him. In about 10 minutes, he was going to be face to face with the great crime leader himself. The man who the authorities of all levels had been trying to find. The notorious and devious leader of the Order of Righteousness, Mr Christian Wyclef.

As the bars slid open, Tadleigh was lead by two officers to a booth. It was typical of a jail meeting cubicle; fitted with a phone in which to talk through and glass panel through the middle stood between both visitor and criminal in order to prevent physical interaction. Aster sat down and picked up the phone. Laying the writing pad down on the desk, he waited for Christian to come through. Within minutes of preparing himself for the interview, another barred door slid open, with two officers leading a man in an orange jumpsuit down to his chair in front of Tadleigh.

Christian Wyclef was far from what Tadleigh was expecting. He had a vision of a man big and bulky, with tattoos covering almost every inch of his body. However, what stood before him was a complete contradiction to his vision. Wyclef was tall and athletic, with a clean shaven face and his jet black hair all messed up. In fact messed up wasn't the way to describe his hair as such. It was like every strand of hair was in place, yet the result looked messy. Stylish-messy. Aster was completely taken aback by this man. It seemed like style and sophistication emanated from his body and presence. He could hardly believe this was a man leading a criminal movement. Smiling at Aster with a suave grin, Christian Wyclef picked up the phone.

"Ahhhh so you must be the reporter coming to interview me huh? It took a while, but it feels great to finally have my voice heard." His tone was sarcastic, yet every word felt like it was meant with feeling. Aster glanced down at his pad, trying not to be intimidated by this man before he spoke. "Yes well uh...Mr Wyclef, my name is Aster Tadleigh, a news reporter for the New York News. I'm here to interview you on not only your arrest, but also about the order."

Wyclef chuckled. A soft one, but a chuckle nonetheless. "Well Mr Tadleigh, that is after all why i am in prison. I am like an open book for you my friend. What is it you want to know?" As he said this, a smile crept over his face and he leaned back into chair. The phone still stayed pressed against his ear.

Aster felt a bit more confident after his last comments. "So I can ask him anything??" He thought to himself. "I can do that." His grip on the phone relaxed a little when he spoke next. "You're going to regret saying that Wyclef," Aster said, as he picked up his pen and got ready to write the answers he received from the jailed crime lord "What is the Order Of Righteousness? What is its purpose? What effects will you being in jail have on it?" He blurted his questions out one after the other, staring at Christian and not giving him anytime between questions to answer one at a time. "Im living true to what he said" Tadleigh said to himself. "I bet I've put him on the spot now!! Let see him act so calmly now"

But thats exactly what Wyclef did. As soon as Tadleigh had finished with his outburst, Wyclef just yawned and stretched, before scratching his face. Staying as cool, calm and collective as he had always been. "Yes, i thought those questions would pop up fairly quickly within the interview" He said, a small, nonchalant smile creeped onto his face. "Very well, i did promise to be like an open book. That will teach me i suppose." He said with a laugh. Leaning forward onto the desk, Christian Wyclef started to explain his Order to a curious Aster Tadleigh.

"The Order of Righteousness is simply a group of people who all share the same desire- to destroy our government. To kill of any forms of authority in order to make change for a new one."

Tadleigh looked at him quizzically, like he was trying to make Wyclef feel ostracized. It didn't seem to be working however, as Wyclef smile never faded from his face. "Well then Mr Wyclef, what sort of government should run our state then?" He asked.

"Well we shouldn't even have one." Wyclef told him simply. "I personally believe that this state should run under only one person. A king as such. A man who should be non corruptible, and a firm ruler to those under his power. Think about it. There would be no wars between cities, no greedy parties wanting more power, no corruption or anything, because only one man will have the power and one man alone."

Aster thought about what information was just given to him. He could see many flaws within Wyclef's twisted system, and the conclusion Aster came to was that this man was a nutjob; a man who was not fit to live in normal society. However trying to see his side of things, Aster decided against telling him what he thought and just asked more questions. His pad was already a page full of information, yet there was still a whole lot more to delve deeper into. Tadleigh was curious to see what else this man could tell him.

"Interesting points Mr Wyclef. So I would assume that according to your plan, once you have taken over, then you will become the new leader of our state?" Aster asked, while still writing more notes from Wyclef's previous statements. He had a brilliant knack for multi tasking, and it helped him immensely to be able to take down notes and ask questions, while still remembering what the interviewee said previously.

Upon hearing Aster's question, Christian Wyclef laughed. "ahhh well you see Mr Tadleigh, it is rather hard for me to do that whilst in jail and serving a prison sentence for 10 years before being killed. Therefore it is time to tell you about the other important bit Mr Tadleigh." As he said this, Wyclef came right up close to the glass but did not touch it. His words were now becoming more deliberate and softer as he told Aster Tadleigh, "Within a few hours from now, there is going to be an induction for a leader. One that can accomplish what I couldn't. One that can truly rule over both the Order and the state" He smiled as he said this, and once again leaned back into his chair. Tadleigh paused for a second. His mind had suddenly become inquisitive, and he wanted to know more. "What? A new leader?" Tadleigh whispered to him now, hoping that no-one over heard him. "Have you already selected him?"

Once again, Wyclef was quick to answer. "Yes of course I have. The followers who serve me have already informed me of everything I need to know about him. He is due to be inducted within the next 24 hours at a secret location."

"So then where is this induction?" Aster asked curiously. He was starting to really become interested in what type of story he could make out of this.

Wyclef looked at him in a thoughtful way, smiling like he had been for almost the entire interview. "Tell me Aster...uh can I call you Aster?" he asked politely, before continuing after an approving nod by Tadleigh. "Well then Aster, tell me. What are you thinking about all of this? I'm sure it must be a breath of fresh air to hear about the beliefs of a crime lord."

Aster frowned. "I'm sorry Mr Wyclef, I don't quite get what you mean."

Wyclef blinked before justifying his last comment, "My friend, you have come here to this interview with the intent of having an open mind about things, but I see you staring at me with that look on your face. I know for a fact that you still have a narrow mind about my teachings, and what me and the order are trying to for this city, this state, and this country. I know for a fact that you don't approve of us killing people in order to make this place better for the rest of society. So why continue this meeting when you already think you know what is happening? Why continue to ask questions and waste your own time when you probably know exactly what you are going to write about? Let's not beat around the bush here anymore Aster. You have become more narrow minded with every word i say."

Aster knew he was right. There was nothing really that Wyclef could say that could make him think anything different about the Order.

Aster sighed in realization. "You know what, you're right. I'm sorry Mr Wyclef. I will waste no more of your time."

But Wyclef just laughed. "Oh no don't apologize. I could see it as soon as I saw you. I know you really want to accept us. Well, not so much accept us, but to think of our theories as different, yet not wrong. If you want the key to making this story your masterpiece, I suggest you follow the clues." He said.

Aster look perplexed. "What clues?" Aster asked.

"Mr Tadleigh, I know exactly what will open your eyes to our ways. Question is, do you have the passion for the truth?" Wyclef asked. He looked Completely unphased by what was going on. This seemed to make Aster Tadleigh curious. "Go on..." Tadleigh asked while shifting his chair closer.

Christian Wyclef smiled again. "All you need to know about my order and the truth is in the government base. The computers within the main office hold the answers you want about me and all of my work. I know it is illegal to hack into the base computers," Wyclef said quickly, reading the horrified face of Tadleigh "But it has everything you need to know. About me, about the Order of Righteousness, about the government, about everything. The only thing stopping you is law, justice, and your conscience. But are those elements truly powerful enough to stop you from knowing the truth?"

There was something in Christian Wyclef's eyes now. Tadleigh couldn't describe what it was, but the feeling looked powerful. Wyclef blinked slowly, and scratched his face. "Well now Mr. Tadleigh, it has be good, but i'm afraid our time here is over." he said before crackling his knuckles. Aster shook his head, blinked and checked his watch. "Ah yeah, ok then. Thank you very much for your time Mr Wyclef, it's been a pleasure. I will be sure to post you the draft before I finalize the article and submit it. Give me or the newspaper a call if you see any flaws with it." He said politely.

Wyclef nodded, "I'm sure i will hear from you sooner than you think. And remember, the truth is there if you want it." He said, before bowing his head and hung up the phone. Once again, two guards came to take him away, and Aster watched him walk off within the prison facility.

Aster Tadleigh jumped into his car and sighed. Thinking about what Wyclef had said to him about the truth, the thoughts and Wyclef's words continued to echo through his mind. "I know it's illegal," He said to himself, "But this story needs to be perfect. I want this story to be headline news. And besides, the quality of something is always reflected by the effort put into it." Aster read his notes a little more. He may have thought before that he had more than enough notes for a story, but now looking at it, it just didn't seem enough. And maybe there was so much more information at the government base. Reason and doubt evaporated from his mind. Aster Tadleigh knew what he had to do.

"I need to go to that government base."

To Be Continued...

© Copyright 2008 IDWBC (just_a_writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1396745-The-Order-of-Righteousness-1st-Chapter