*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1397272-Where-Shades-Rule
by Damone
Rated: E · Essay · Young Adult · #1397272
What people see, and what they want to see.
I put it on and the world went black. A previously sunny day turned dark and gloomy. Blues morphed into shades of purple. Black turned into red. Dull metallic grey and sliver, now unique lavender, plum and mauve. The world as I knew it hid behind a rose tint. Well this world thumped the other any given day!

What am I talking about? Those rosy tinted dark filmed shades that all of us wear all the time, that nobody else can see but everybody else knows about.

With these we look at the world with eyes that see what they want to see, distort images, embellish inadequacies and are blind where weakness, liabilities, dark facts are concerned. We perpetually live in a rainbow coloured shell that is fragile and utterly vulnerable- a soap bubble. Yet we go to great lengths to make sure that the bubble does not burst.

People – we care about or want to, we put on a pedestal, bestow with qualities we want them to posses ( most often it happens in our imaginations!) and we fail to see the substance, the real person underneath, and so when we come face to face with some very ugly characteristics (which by the way are not hidden) we are stunned, shocked, shaken up and we wonder how and why we never saw it coming!

Countries – those great, powerful, fertile lands of Canaan flowing with milk, honey, opportunities and wealth, where everyone is a billionaire, every one realizes their improbable dreams, all a hop, skip and jump across the wide blue sea, these Canaans are waiting for you, for those who dare, this the media feeds us through the movies we watch slack jawed in dark halls and the books we devour on our beds.
We, devout followers of the rose tint cult, just take the surface view of the things promised to us, do not credit the substance beneath, refuse to believe the soul of the culture or simply ignore the baser aspects in the hope that if we don’t see something, it ceases to exist.
Later , much later, disillusioned, disappointed, we realize that Canaan is no more than any other ordinary country, just more glorified.

We know but we do not want to remove, we have opportunities but we will not get rid of our glasses, should they be wrested from us by force, we are likely to find another pair.
These Shades are here to stay. These Shades Rule.

What was I rambling about at the beginning of this article? A Helmet with a dark visor.
“Put it on”, I say to those of you who own one, and you will know what I was talking about.
© Copyright 2008 Damone (damonemanuel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1397272-Where-Shades-Rule