*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1397701-Expansion
Rated: NPL · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1397701
Science fiction short story



Expansion

Far in the future in another sector of the Milky Way Galaxy, Captain Miles Denho is getting ready for a long journey. Denho is the captain of his ship, The Victor. His family has a great legacy of discovering new planets and creating hyperspace routes. He has to live up to his name. His family’s honor was already tarnished by enemies.
Denho was a prince from birth and had become an important politician. He worked for the good of his people, the Visors, but many wanted to soil him and his family’s good name. “I won’t let us be insulted!” Denho exclaimed to his father, the Chancellor of all Visors. “Although it is important to defend your honor, you must be selfless and respectful,” his father responded.
“You will soon lead your people and I want them to look up to an honorable Visor,” said Chancellor Vorn. Denho was tired of being the one member of the Visor royalty not supported by the public. His father had led great expeditions to colonize foreign worlds while promoting peace and democracy. It was why the Visor Republic flourished. The Visors were a good working people that had the unique ability to see small distances into the future. They worked with raw resources and traded with the locals of inhabited planets.
Denho assembled a crew of the most experienced travelers of this sector. Pilot Jorsk was a pilot so experienced that he could fly a ship through an asteroid field without getting a single scratch on his ship. Mechanic Alfarin once fixed a hyperdrive engine that had been beaten with a huge wrench and got it operational in just a few hours. Medical Doctor Scott has found cures for more diseases than any doctor in the Galaxy. Weapons Specialist Narat Benjima maintains the ships’ weapons systems and has heavily modified them to be so accurate they can shoot a target 500 kilometers away.
As Denho got ready to address the people, his butler Rayburt came in. “Are you ready to announce your mission to the people, Master Denho?” “Of course I am,” Rayburt. “The people will soon know just how much I want to support the expansion of our Republic.”
As Denho walked up to the podium, everyone became silent. He spoke so convincingly that everyone was mesmerized. When he was finished, his speech was rewarded with a round of applause.
The red carpet was rolled out and Denho was led to his ship by his royal guards. He looked determined as he smiled and turned to looked face his people. His ship, the Victor, was neatly polished for the occasion. The crowd cheered the captain as he continued walking rather slowly to keep hearing them shout his name. He stopped halfway up the ramp to say a few last words. “My fellow Visors, the planet I am leaving for has proven a treacherous one. Many who have gone there haven’t returned, but for you I will go anywhere!” Now Denho definitely had the people’s support to embark on his journey.
As the ship’s hangar door closed, everyone got ready for the take-off. “Good day sir,” said Pilot Jorsk. “Please take a seat Sir, and after we leave the atmosphere and slow down to cruising speed I will introduce you to everyone.” “Excellent job, Pilot,” said Denho. It was not long before Denho was introduced to his mechanic, Alfarin. “I trust my ship is in good shape?” “Yes Captain!” announced Alfarin. Alfarin is a small, young, human boy with an enthusiastic attitude. Next, Denho met Doctor Scott. He is a fairly old Visor but he still has fire in the blood flowing in his veins. After him, Denho met Narat Benjima. Narat was an Algorian. They are a tough species of well-rounded warrior people. Narat is a huge Algorian with a chip on his shoulder. No one who had challenged him had ever beaten him. “This is a fine crew we have got here,” announced Denho.
After navigating for a few hours the Victor had almost arrived at the (entrance?) to the hyperspace route that led to their final destination, when they were attacked by pirates. The pirates were low-tech and desperate thieves in small fighter crafts that attempted to raid the Victor.
“Quick, Narat, get on our laser turret guns!” “Jorsk make sure the pirate’s lasers don’t hit us!’’ commanded Denho. “You got it captain!” they both yelled. The Algorian manned the gun station and fired at the pirate ships. Jorsk was able to swiftly move the Victor to avoid the pirate blaster shots. Narat made quick work of all of the pirates as they each exploded into oblivion. The Victor was victorious and able to jump to hyperspace. Soon, the Victor was in range of the planet. They had made it.
As the Victor slowed down from Hyperspace speed, Captain Denho looked at the unknown planet’s surface. It was a jungle planet, and a dangerous one. Studies from space indicated that the planet was full of minerals and alloys of precious metals. The planet would definitely prove to be useful. “Jackpot,” Denho uttered under his breath.
As Jorsk programmed the Victor’s auto pilot to land the ship in a clearing, Jorsk went to consult the captain about who would be in the landing crew. “Only I will be in the landing crew, I can very well do this myself, all of you have been a great help so far,” said captain Denho. “But Sir,” began Jorsk. “No! I will go alone.” “No more questions!” howled Denho. “Very well Sir,” said Jorsk quietly.
Denho was so sure that he would be just fine with only a carbon rifle and his speeder vehicle, but the mysterious terrain of the plane had a surprise waiting for him. Denho sped along and quickly scouted an area that would soon be a Visor settlement. Denho got off his speeder for a moment to look over the edge of a hill that overlooked a huge area. Suddenly, Denho’s ability kicked in and he saw a minute into the future and saw a rock hurtling at him. He prepared for the oncoming rock which he quickly dodged and turned around to see who had thrown it. A huge mutant lizard was racing straight for Denho. He took out his rifle and fired a few shots right at the creature’s head. The shots just deflected off the creature’s skin. Then the creature knocked Denho’s gun out of his hand. The lizard became furious and chased Denho against a wall. He was trapped. Denho was sure he was doomed. The creature began choking Denho, but before he could finish the job, a grenade blast knocked the creature away from Denho, but Denho was unharmed. It was Narat and the rest of the crew that had come to help him. Denho’s neck was irritated from the alien’s grasp, but Doctor Scott came to cure him. “I am coming, hold on,” said Doctor Scott. He quickly mixed something up from fruit juices and other strange ingredients and rubbed it on Denho’s neck. He was cured!
“I am sorry I didn’t accept your help when I should have, I owe you all an apology,” said Denho. “I think I speak for everyone when I say “apology accepted” said Jorsk. “Let’s go, prompted Jorsk, and everyone went back to the ship.
When Denho got home he had a lot to tell everyone. The chancellor said how impressed he was with Denho. “I am very proud of you Son, you have done well,” remarked chancellor Vorn. “Thank you Dad, but I really could not have done it without my crew,” said Denho.
© Copyright 2008 master jake (jacobkrijt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1397701-Expansion