*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1398021-I-is-for-Ida
by Ephy
Rated: 13+ · Other · Tragedy · #1398021
A retelling of one of Edward Gorey's "Gashlycrumb Tinies".
-This is a work of fiction based on The Gashlycrumb Tinies, a poem and alphabet primer by Edward Gorey. It is rated 13+ for violence resulting in accidental and intentional deaths. This work is written purely for entertainment value. Please don't sue me.-

- - - - -

It was late afternoon, and The Children's Repertory Company was taking a break from its rehearsal of 'The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark'. Philip and Stephen, handsomely dressed as Hamlet and Laertes, stood at the edge of Loweswater, watching Ida drown.

'D'you suppose that's what they call method acting?' Philip asked, wiping his eleven-year old nose on his sleeve.

Stephen nodded solemnly as the girl flailed about in the middle of the lake. 'Stanislavski said that one should always approach a role as directly as possible,' he said, feeling very wise for his thirteen years.

Philip looked contemplatively over the water as Ida went down for the second time.

'She's being very thorough, don't you think?' he said, somewhat hesitantly.

Stephen shrugged indifferently. 'I imagine she's doing her best,' he replied, 'but of course, there are no willow trees here.' He studied the edges of the lake as the girl splashed helplessly in the centre. 'I should think the Meisner technique would be more appropriate in this case.'

Philip nodded slowly. Together, the two boys watched Ida sink beneath the clear waters of the lake for the last time. Her hair wreath floated leisurely towards them. Stephen reached out and plucked it from the water. The silk flowers were appallingly damp.

'I suppose,' Philip said thoughtfully, 'this is going to make future rehearsals rather difficult.'

- - - - -

I is for Ida who drowned in a lake...

- - - - -


For more Gashlycrumb Tinies, feel free to visit Velkyn at http://www.fanfiction.net/~velkyn
© Copyright 2008 Ephy (velkyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1398021-I-is-for-Ida