*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1399050-Channel-Surfing
by Karen
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1399050
Flash Fiction Contest Winner. A man settles in for a long night of channel surfing.
Prompt: Write a story about someone with insomnia

Channel Surfing

David sat down on the bed and gave a sideways look at the camera mounted in the corner. He sighed, knowing he’d never fall asleep, not with the wires attached to his head and God knows how many people watching. At least at home he could always count on the Shopping Network to bore him to sleep somewhere around 3 a.m.

He looked around the dim room. A TV was mounted up high on the wall (thank God for that) and there was a small dresser where he’d stowed his clothes. A door in the corner led into a bathroom. David picked up the remote from the night stand and hit the power button. The room lit up with a green glow for a few seconds until finally an image appeared on the TV.

David sank down into the pillows, making himself as comfortable as possible for a long night of channel surfing. The tangle of wires he could live with but his scalp was starting to itch where the electrodes were attached. And he wasn’t used to wearing pajamas. Maybe I can be buried in them. Spend enternity in polka dot pajamas. He chuckled, then remembered the camera and wiped the grin off his face. Sinking deeper into the pillows, he skipped through half a dozen channels before settling on the local news, where the lead story was a hit and run. Police were asking for help in identifying the victim, a man who was killed instantly after stepping off the curb into the path of a speeding car. Apparently the only clue to his identity was a plastic bag containing a pair of men’s pajamas (polka dot, tags still attached, size medium) and a crumpled brochure advertising a sleep study center.

Word count: 292
© Copyright 2008 Karen (sadiebug at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1399050-Channel-Surfing