*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1401168-Eliza
by Aly
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Family · #1401168
A girl finds out her sister is pregnant.
It reminded me of Romeo and Juliet, except so twisted and malevolent Shakespeare would envy it. The only reason I know about the whole affair s because the screen that divides our room isn’t exactly sound proof. I couldn’t tell you how my sister’s story began, only the end. It was late on night, I was trying so hard to study for my test tomorrow, and it had to have been three or four in the morning. To save myself the embarrassment I will not relay what they said. I was only trying to silence them; I didn’t expect the divider to collapse. Which left me wide-eyes staring at my sister and her recent boyfriend tangled in the sheets.
“What the?” The only words Eliza spoke as she clutched the sheets about her chest, like a cliché movie. Her boyfriend, Chris I think was his name; he tried to hide completely under the covers. I remained calm, however.
“I would highly suggest you keep the sounds of your fornicating to a minimal.” More silence, “Like that, perfect.” I replaced the divider, and then offered to sleep on the couch. They declined, saying they would be silent. I went to bed, hoping everything would be normal after that. I was wrong.
The next morning was just as interesting. Eliza came in, dark circles under her eyes, probably from staying up all night. She held a thermometer shaped thing in her hands.
“Have a fever?”
I asked as I spooned more cereal into my mouth.
“I’m pregnant.” I dropped the spoon onto the table.
“Are you going tell Mom?” I asked as I stood to look at the thermometer thing, which I realized was a pregnancy test.
“Yes,” Tears slid down her cheeks and stared at the blue lines.
“Whose is it, the guy from last night?”
“I’m not sure, I…I...” She sighed and I looked into her bloodshot eyes.
“I’m not sure if it’s Chris’s or Jeffery’s.” Jeffery, that idiot who drained her of any self-confidence then left her after getting what he truly wanted.
“When was the last time you…”
“Besides last night? Around four to six weeks ago.” She slumped down into a chair and stood behind her.
“Which one?”
“Sadly, both Jeffery six weeks ago, Chris at four.” I nodded, then cringes as I heard footsteps, Mom.
“Here’s your chance Eliza.” Mom came down and started pulling ingredients out of the cabinets, probably making muffins.
“Good morning angels how are you?” I watched as Eliza rose, I crossed my fingers.
“Not so great, I threw up this morning.” Eliza said, leaving the pregnancy test on the table. All I thought was she pissed on that then puts it where I eat.
“Oh Eliza, I’m sorry, do you have a fever?” She gestured towards the pregnancy test, making the same assumption I did.
“I’m not ill Mom, it’s, it’s morning sickness.”
“Don’t be silly Eliza, you’d have to be…” The impact of her words must’ve been a verbal slap to Mom’s face, because she leaned over and slapped Eliza, Eliza grabbed the table for support.
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,”
“You will be, go in the living room.”
I watched as Mom grabbed a syringe from the medicine cabinet. She filled it with a liquid, which I knew was deadly. I didn’t argue, this had happened before, that’s why it was just Mom, Eliza and I. Soon to be Mom and me. I heard the door open and close. A few words were murmured and I peeked into the living room. Chris was there.
“It’s Chris, Mom.”
“Shit,” Mom said and slipped the syringe into her sleeve. We entered the room and with skill I will probably never acquire Mom started talking to Chris and slid the syringe into my sister’s flesh. Eliza rose and looked at me a betrayed look in her eyes. I looked down as she crumpled floor. Mom jumped and felt for her pulse.
“She fainted, I’m sorry Chris can you come back at a different time?” I knew this meant we’d be moving again. I watched Chris leave.
“She dead? Stupid, to kill her with guests here,” Mom shrugged and grabbed Eliza’s ankles.
“Whatever, just help me drag her to the shed.” I shook my head and held out my hand.
“You drag, I’ll put away the needle and poison.” She put the syringe in my hand and I walked into the kitchen. IJ watched from the window as Mom started to dig a hole. As my deceased sister’s grave was dug I refilled the syringe. I pressed the needle against my flesh. It slid into my vein and I pushed the poison in. As I pulled the needle out it started to work. Death wasn’t quick and painless, as I had hoped. A poisonous fire spread, starting from my arm and moving up, I felt the fire spread to my heart, my head, then…
© Copyright 2008 Aly (coeurmou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1401168-Eliza