*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1401973-Part-1---Book-of-Memories
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1401973
Hope is all put into a paperback book.
It was one of the coldest, most miserable days I had ever remembered in April. While the buds were supposed to be sprouting and the birds were supposed to be chirping, the city of Edmonton was quiet and lifeless, bringing back recent memories of winter.
Outside, the frigid rain pelted down, making sharp, slapping noises on the roads and sidewalks. Gloomy, grey clouds blanketed the warm sun, and rumbles of thunder made the houses shake. Even from inside my small condo, I could hear the crackling of lightning in the sky.
Sighing, I wrapped my fuzzy, cotton blanket tighter around my shoulders as I gazed, depressed out the living room window. It was such a dreary day, but I KNEW that if I didn't go out somewhere for the day, I'd go insane. The first place I thought of going was the library, downtown. Ever since Grade 10, I had been in love with reading. I had no clue why, but I was. The library kind of soothed me, anyways; calmed me down a bit. Whenever I felt stressed, I would escape into a magical fiction book and let my imagination run away with me. That's the way I liked it, really - a carefree world; how I wish it were like that. So anyways, when I wanted to calm down or even get hyped up, the library was the place to go.
As I stepped out onto my front porch, I felt a freezing wind pick up and blow through my hair. Pulling on my jacket, I began to make my way over to my car. I did NOT want to be outside for long, that was for sure. I just wanted to get to the library and curl up with a good book and some hot chocolate.
In twenty minutes time, I had arrived at the library. As I hurried in, I heard my name being called.
"Siobhan?" I turned in the direction of the voice and saw Anna Spence, the 67 year old librarian whom I knew quite well from all the visits I had made to the library over the months. Smiling, I approached Anna.
"Well, hello there, Siobhan!" Anna greeted me.
"Good afternoon, Anna!" I nodded, flashing her a bright grin.
"GOOD afternoon? What, are you kidding me? It looks awful outside! You're the only person who's come in all day!" Anna exclaimed, frowning. I chuckled.
"So much, 'april showers bring may flowers,' right?" I joked.
"These showers had better bring may flowers!" Anna shook her fist at the window and laughed wholeheartedly. "So what are you looking for today, love?" I shrugged, glancing around the deserted library.
"Just browsing, that's all."
"Hmm," Anna grunted, "you should take a look at Top 10 Ways to get a Boyfriend, by Eric Conway!" I laughed, secretly desperate to slip away. Anna was always bugging me about how I had been single for such a long time and was already 24. Anna continued, "Seriously, you're a gorgeous lass! You could get men at your feet, if only you tried."
"Ok, Anna, why don't YOU take a look at that book?" I barked back. Anna snorted, waving her hand dismissively.
"Ok, come now, dear! I'm almost seventy! I'm much too old to get a boyfriend." Laughing, I started to walk away. "Have fun, dear."
All in the spirit of fun, all in the spirit of fun, I thought to myself over and over. I did adore Anna, but she always reminded me of the love I never had, which tends to get me down every-time.
Attempting to wash that incident right out of my hair, I began to trudge through the rows of books. I found it astounding that there were so many books written in the world. I could NEVER write a book, to be honest. I mean, I've started many stories, but I've never had the will power to finish any of them.
Slowly, I advanced into the library, picking up any interesting book I found. Suddenly, I froze dead in my tracks. There he was, from across the row of books - the one man I had loved for so long. I gazed at him, awestruck, and he gazed back at me, a smile at his lips. A bit confused, I approached the row of books and nervously picked up his. He sat contentedly in his paperback cover, grinning back at me happily. He looked exactly like I remembered him...
© Copyright 2008 Lexxa JGarza (alexxa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1401973-Part-1---Book-of-Memories