*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1402272-Dax
by Dax
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1402272
Short story about a boy named Dax and his adventures.
    Dax woke with a start.  He eyes scanned the surrounding forest quickly.  He saw nothing out of the ordinary.  He jumped to his feet and resumed his forced march.  He had been gone from home for thirteen days and was still a week from returning.  Dalvin had sent him to Renwal with a simple task of observation.  He had expected soldiers and command tents, what he found was something all together different. 
    Instead of the normal troops and camps he expected he found strange creatures and weapons he had never seen before.  They were huge hulking beasts with bulging muscles and gray ashen skin.  As he observed them he was spotted and had to run.  He was a scout for Dalvin, who was the Knight-General of the Wicket army.  He had been running for six days and still they hounded him.  The invaders were faster than anyone he had seen and he only managed to stay ahead of them through use of the forest and tricks he had learned.  He was the youngest of the Wicket scouts and only in the service for six months.
    He moved south at a brisk jog constantly checking right and left and listening intently to any sound he heard.  He stayed to the shadows and tried to keep low.  Ahead he saw a small clearing and angled for it.  He stopped at the edge and saw the reason for the clearing.  There was a small creek.  He ran ahead and jumped in.  The water barely reached his ankles.  He traveled west and south with the flow of the river for some time.  He left the river a number of times to lay false trails.
© Copyright 2008 Dax (rikus1978 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1402272-Dax