*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1403978-Ill-See-You-In-My-Dreams
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1403978
Fantasy. Marilee finds herself in a mysterious place with a very handsome stranger.
I’ll See You In My Dreams



         Marilee was almost in a state of panic when she first opened her eyes and all that she could see was total blackness. Then, little by little, the room brightened until it filled with a rich deep blue glowing light and Marilee’s panic changed to apprehension.

         As she surveyed the room, or what she had thought was a room, Marilee realized that there were no walls, only the endless blue light that seemed to go on forever. She felt slightly faint. For when she had glanced down, she realized that there was also no floor beneath her feet. Somehow, someway she was floating in mid air.

         Confused, Marilee tried to remember how she had gotten to where she was, but she had no memory of entering the area, let alone how she had become suspended in the air.

         Cautiously, Marilee tried to move to her right and found to her amazement that she could move with ease, gently gliding, with no physical effort on her part. She had simply thought about moving and then had done it.
         Thrilled at this new means of transportation, Marilee, proceeded to explore her surroundings, but to her dismay, found that there was nothing but the endless blue light. No matter how far or for how long she traveled there was only the blueness and nothing more.

         After traveling for an unaccountable amount of time and distance, there suddenly appeared, in front of her, to be a small area where the light seemed to be much brighter. Heading for it, Marilee hoped that there was a door, a window, anything to escape the infinite blue, which had become increasingly overwhelming, almost suffocating.

         Halfway to the light, Marilee came to an abrupt halt as she realized that there was someone or something standing in the center of the lighted area.

         Warily, she slowly glided closer, and then she realized that it was a man, not some monster as she had originally visualized, standing before her. A very handsome young man, Marilee noted, as she stopped her approach within a few feet of this Adonis.

         He smiled warmly at her.

         “Hello and welcome.” He greeted her.

         "Hello.” Marilee returned almost breathlessly. For the rich baritone of his voice was like nothing she had heard before; it embraced and surrounded her, full of warmth and tenderness; and somehow Marilee found that she wasn’t afraid of this strange, handsome young man who stood before her.

         “I have been waiting for you.” He told her.

         “I know.” Marilee replied. Somehow, she had known that he was there, waiting for her.

         “Where are we?” Marilee ventured to ask.

         “We are here.” He replied.

         “But where is here?”

         “Here is here. It is this place. All that you see is here.” He explained.

         “How did we get here?” Marilee asked, realizing that she wasn’t going to get a more detailed answer.

         “You called me and I came.”

         “I called? How did I call you? Why would I call you? I’ve never seen you before. I’ve never met you before.”

         Now Marilee was getting uncomfortable. She didn’t know where she was or how she had gotten there. She had never met or seen this man before, yet he acted as if they were old acquaintances.

         “Who are you?” Marilee asked, pointedly.

         “I am Robbie, your muse.” He stated simply.

         “You’re my what? My muse?” Marilee asked, puzzled, taken completely aback by this unexpected answer. “But I thought all muses were female. Aren’t muses the nine daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, the goddesses of the arts?”

         Robbie smiled warmly at her.

         “They are, but I am your muse. I am your inspiration and for you I am in this form. You called me and I came. I am here for you, whenever you need me.”

#


          “Whenever you need me.”

          Marilee bolted up into a sitting position and looked around. She was in her room, sitting in her bed. Her digital bedside clock had just changed to 3:01 a.m.

         “Was it all just a dream?” Marilee wondered as she lay back on her pillow and stared at the ceiling. “Did I just imagine him or was I really there? It seemed so real. He said he was my inspiration, I wonder what he meant by that?”

         Realization dawned on Marilee and she hurriedly sat up in bed, turned on her light, and grabbed the notebook that lay on her bed stand.

         “That’s it! Now I know what story I’m going to write for the contest.” She cried excitedly as her pencil almost flew across the page as she wrote.

         Fifteen minutes later, pleased with what she had written, Marilee laid the notebook back on her bed stand and wiggled contently down under her covers.

         “Thank you, Robbie.”


<END>



© Copyright 2008 Karensuebug (karensuebug at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1403978-Ill-See-You-In-My-Dreams