*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1404302-The-Rapture-of-the-Depths
by Bo-bo
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1404302
A human-like being named Bo ventures into the Rapture of the Depths to start a new life.
                                       
                                  The Rapture of the Depths

         Palm Island, accessible to humans only through the Bermuda Triangle black hole, was on a planet in the Whirlpool Galaxy. Life on the planet is not sustained by the heat of a neighboring star, but by the heat of the planet itself. The inhabitants of Palm Island are special beings that can fly without wings and live without breathing. Among those inhabitants was Bo, who was savoring the last day before his venture.
         Bo didn't want to go on a venture, which was the custom when a boy turned fourteen years of age on Palm Island. Bo's venture was a three-day journey from the sacred shore, into the rapture of the depths and back. It was the venture that would grant him the ability to fly, and give him the freedom to move away from the island's monotonous pier.
         Bo viewed the sacred beach from the pier. The colors there don't exist on earth's palette, but the ability to see these colors exist in the deepest recesses of earthling's minds. Bo wasn't near as colorful. He looked human, only smaller, and had average features, gray hair, and silver eyes.
         His skin was so pale his veins could be seen traveling through his body like the lines on a map. His veins were silver from the plasma that gave him life, and his eyes had no pupils because sights were perceived without light. Bo would be freakishly strange-looking on earth, but on Palm Island, quite plain.
         Beings like Bo didn't stay with their parents as they grew without the need to eat or sleep. They did make families of two later in life, though, and Bo planned to find a mate to live with him in the mountains. The only thing stopping him was the completion of his venture.
         For a short burst at the age of around fourteen, Bo would be able to fly. Without venturing into the rapture of the depths, however, he would be flightless in a few short days, mobile only as far as he could walk. Flightless meant a life trapped on the unremarkable pier. People come and go quickly on the island's pier. Vendors and travelers mostly, but few people actually have homes there.
         The pier was a long, wide trail of palm wood that stretched on for miles. Natives sold magical goods and shells from the shore and the peddlers added the smell of salt and dirt to the otherwise sweet-smelling scope of palm wood. Bo would die before he lived that life.
         Bo felt lighter than usual and began to float towards the sacred beach. Hurbnectar grass grew there as sea oats do on earth. Bo tasted their sweetness. He could taste sweet, sour, bitter, and spice, as he has all the same senses as a human. Islanders like Bo though, have the sixth sense of intuition much stronger.
         Bo floated higher and lower towards the sacred beach, with plenty of false starts at flying. He was bouncing like a leaking helium balloon. The sky was gray except for the colors in the distant beach, and the beach was empty besides the packing vendors. The strong smell of fish wafted, pushing him further away from where he would never return.
         Everyone was emotionless on the island, their faces as empty as the space beyond the sky. Bo hoped to find others that felt as he did in the mountains. He turned around for the last time.
         Bo floated along the shore when he finally arrived at the sacred beach. He marveled at the tall stone formations and the unearthly beauty of the colorful sky, and then flew above the ocean before crashing into it.
         Bo was heavy in the shallow water of the consuming ocean. The shore stretched on forever, but the ocean was wider. He swam towards the beach, fighting the crashing waves and strong undertow. The undertow pulled him deeper and grew stronger with each wave.
         Bo knew if he didn't make it to the shore, he wouldn't be able to take flight and would never make it to the mountains. He swam with everything he was worth, swiftly and frantically, with the same adrenalin found in every successful life form.
         A wave crashed above his head, and he felt bits of sand hit his face as the sand floor ground at his skin. He was tossed around as if he was weightless, and at one point was suspended in the water like a jellyfish.
         The ocean was a furious hurricane, and Bo was a speck of dust scattered amongst the wind. -But Bo fought back against the wave and swam towards the shore as if he was drowning. Against all odds he made it.
         Bo walked along the shore for some time, waiting for the feeling of helplessness to waft off him. He ran and took off, flying over the ocean the moment his confidence had returned. The beige sea of sand was magnificent, but nothing compared to the blue glitter of the ocean.
         By the time Bo covered about four miles, a flock of tropical gulls soared past him. Their gold and hot pink plumage zoomed by, leaving Bo only their resounding breeze. As their calls echoed off into the horizon, he spotted a white capped mountain.
He flew towards it until he could no longer see the shore behind him. The larger the mountain became, the weaker Bo grew. By the time he reached the rocky, steep terrain, he could barely crawl, much less fly.
         He had to find a magical source of energy similar to the sacred beach soon or he would die. Bo looked around for stone formations before he gave up, his vision blurring with blackness.
         He became aware of his surroundings again when a surge of power flowed through his veins. Cool, soft hands were stroking his arms as cold water rippled past his body.
         "Are you okay now?"
         "Yes!" Bo hopped up in shock. A girl aged twelve or thirteen rose as well. Like him, she was completely drenched in water.
         "You almost died." She said
         Her hair was as long as Bo's was short, and just as silver. Her eyes were round like her face, and she was Bo's size, only much shorter.
         Bo had never seen anyone shorter than himself, and certainly no one as spindly. She was obviously kinder than most islanders who would have left him for dead. She was also lovely.
         "You healed me?" he asked her.
         "I just took you to the magical waters, they healed you."
         "Come away with me." Bo proposed.
         "What?!"
         "Males can fly when they reach my age. I can take you away from here." He explained.
         "I know, but so can females."
         "What?"
         "Of course. We just go on our own ventures later. Besides- you almost died, what if I die with you?"
         "I promise I won't let you die." Bo assured her.
         "A venture," she said "is something you do for self discovery."
         "Says who?" He responded. She simply stared at him.
         The rocks were glistening and there was white light all around them. It was clear that all the magical energy was concentrated in the water here. Bo felt then that there wasn't an ugly place on this planet. Except for the pier of course.
         "When are you ever going to get another chance like this?" He asked her "You don't want to start your venture early?"
         Her pouty lips pursed as she thought. Bo knew he had convinced her when she spoke again.
         "You don't even know my name."
         "Well what is it?"
         "Lyn, but..."
         "I'm Bo. Hop on my back."
         "Um- Not just yet." Lyn looked around. When she realized she had nothing to wait for, she straightened her simple short dress for something to do. "Okay I guess I'm ready now."
         She hopped on Bo's back and he was surprised at how light she was. He ran down the mountain for momentum, and then flew far enough away to turn around. He took to the air with a newfound strength.
         Flying up a mountain was different from flying over the sea. He was amazed at how quickly he was going, and was surprised at how easy it was to carry Lyn on his back.
         "Is there civilization close by?" He asked her.
         "Yes. I think, from the sight of the smoke, that there's a village three miles from here."
         "So you want to set up house with me there?"
         "What?! No! I mean... I don't know you, Bo."
         "Not just yet?"
         "No." She said.
         "Well I have to go to the Rapture of the Depths."
         "I can't go with you there."
         "Oh." He said. Lyn could tell he was disappointed.
         "I'll wait for you though." She said sweetly.
         Lyn's turquoise dress contrasted brightly against Bo's black shirt and pants. Both of their clothes were wet and sticky, and it didn't help that Bo's garments were two sizes too big.
         The drenched clothes intensified the cold as they flew higher up the mountain. Within the hour they were dry, however.
         "How did you end up so far away from the village?" Bo asked.
         "The house of corridors." She said "I simply wished myself here in a place strong enough to deliver me."
         Bo was entirely confused. He'd never heard of a house that transported people without walking or flying. Bo felt Lyn's fingers slipping so he nudged them with his cheek.
         "So it was a high concentration of magical energy?"
         "Exactly." She said softly, tightening her grip.
         "Why did you wish yourself away?"
         "Why did you wish yourself away from wherever you came from?"
         "I'm an islander from the pier. It's only redeeming quality is the sacred beach. But I couldn't stay just for that."
         Bo flew in silence for another mile, Lyn being the only thing keeping him warm. He soared until the ground became a gray blur, and then slowed down when he heard noises in the distance.
         "Is the village far?" He asked, knowing the answer. "Before I drop you off, you wouldn't have any idea how to get to the Rapture of the Depths would you?"
         "Drop me off? You can't drop me off here."
         "Okay." Bo said so pleased that he didn't bother to ask why not. "I thought you said you couldn't come with me."
         "I can't"
         There were stone houses in the distance, with smoky chimneys and glowing windows. Closer though, were wooden huts which reminded Bo of the poverty-stricken pier.
         "I've changed my mind," Bo began. "We'll live in the house of corridors."
         "No!" she said "You'll have to take me further."
         "Okay." He said eager to please her, though curious as to why she was so fearful.
         As they got to the first wooden hut, Bo saw a colossal castle in the distance.
         "Is that the house of corridors?" He pointed to the stone castle.
         "Oh no. It's a little bit closer than that."
         Surely she couldn't mean that one of these pathetic huts contained such a powerful source of energy. Bo landed on his feet and they began to walk.
         "Why are you so afraid of the house of corridors?"
         "There's a man there that wants to kill me."
         "Why?" Bo was shocked.
         "I have no idea." They walked for a while without saying anything, then she spoke again.
         "Bo, will you promise me something?"
         "Sure, you saved my life after all."
         "I really didn't but- could you stay with me in the house?"
         "Yeah... of course"
         "I mean don't let me out of your sight, it's mad in there." She grabbed his hand and he felt odd in his stomach.
         "I haven't been here in a long time, but I remember where it is."
         Off the rocky trail was a small, filthy hut fenced by barbed wire. They entered through the open gate in the back.
         "There's nothing here." Bo said when he saw the empty space inside the hut.
She closed the door and started peeling at the wall. As the wall chips fell to the dirty floor, Bo saw another room with a trap door. The room was dark and cold, made from stone. The flooring was made from a redwood and the door was in the floor corner.
         They opened it and climbed down a ladder which led down to a hall. It was a lighted red hall, lit not by the ceiling, but by frames on the walls.
         Bo looked at the first frame. The picture was of a male being of immeasurable size and strength, disassembled with each limb suspended by a large hook. The torso, which was hooked from the back, was alive with a weeping face. A feeling of hopelessness became him.
         "Don't look." Lyn said with her eyes diverted to the ground.
         Bo couldn't help but stare at such a picture of horror. The frames only got worse, too. One was of a woman staring into a mirror as her face fell off in bits.
         The next one he looked at was alive; the picture was moving although it was carved in stone. It was of a sacred aged female kneeling down, speaking to two graves.
         "You've done well my children; you've lived in good will..." He heard the picture say.
         Bo was mesmerized by the stone carved rain pouring down in the scene. The aged woman's lips moved as she spoke more to her buried children. Bo's veins felt as if they were iced over.
         The last one Bo saw was of a dark mansion foyer with three large, cat-like monsters. Their red eyes glowed with hungry malevolence.
         "Don't look at the pictures." Lyn warned.
         It was too late. They were in the picture still holding hands. Stone still stood the cats before they pounced. Lyn and Bo ran for their lives.
         The mansion they found themselves in was winding and intricate. Although they couldn't outrun the cats, they could turn corners faster and divert them.
         Bo was too scared to fly, but he climbed up the stairs, stood on the rail with Lyn, and then leaped for the chandelier. They clung as tightly as they could.
         "Bo, you have to find a window."
         As the cats waited hungrily Bo put Lyn on his back. He floated quickly to the floor and ran to a curtained window pane. While the cats charged down the stairs, he let go of Lyn and picked up a chair.
         Lyn stood back as he busted the pane and then they jumped. They tumbled into a similar hall, which was purple instead of red.
         "Don't...look...at...the...pictures." She enunciated slowly and angrily.
         Small glass abrasions covered their bodies, a reminder for Bo to keep his eyes on the ground. They walked for what seemed like forever, and then went inside a wooden door.
         "Look." Lyn said.
         Bo raised his eyes fearfully. The room was small and dark, lit only by what was outside its window.
         "This is the wishing room I told you about." said Lyn.
It was a beautiful light- white and shining. The glimmer was from the sloshing ocean top behind the glass window.
         "Break the glass."
         Bo jumped, kicking the glass. He rebounded.
         "How?" He asked. Lyn simply looked at him.
         He stared at the window like he did the monstrous cat frame. He stared until he was certain he could taste the salty air. Bo broke the glass, he found himself on the surface of the ocean, alone.
         Dread and panic overwhelmed him. He broke his promise to Lyn and left her in the house of corridors. He looked around. He couldn't fly out of the water and there wasn't any land for miles around.
         Bo's only option was to swim to the Rapture of the Depths to be granted flight, and then fly until he found her or died. He dove under. The ocean's surface broke over him with a loud clapping sound.
         The water got warmer the deeper he swam. He would have to swim fast or die, as there was no energy source near him other than the pit of the ocean. The Rapture of the Depths, or the bottom of the sea, was a sacred place. He hoped this meant he would know how to find Lyn once he got there.
         The weight of the water was pressing, but not like that of Earth's. Luminescent fish and jellies lit the ocean's darkness just enough to see what was right before him. Bo stopped swimming and began to sink.
         He marveled at the oceanic giants and eerie silence of the beast that was the sea. Before long he was on the ocean floor, surrounded by warmth that was radiated from the core of the planet.
         Two human-like creatures, the color and texture of wrinkled leather, stood rooted like plants. It was the Rapture of the Depths. The power of the planet to sustain itself was demonstrated by these aliens.
         Bo's understanding peaked at this place of power. He found the answer right above him. He swam higher, soon breaking the surface of the ocean. As it broke the second time, there was a sound of shattering glass.
         Lyn was there waiting for him in the room with the freshly broken window. She hopped on his back and they flew- this time for the mountains.



© Copyright 2008 Bo-bo (bo-bo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1404302-The-Rapture-of-the-Depths