*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1404583-As-long-as-we-have-each-other
by Locket
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1404583
A musician falls for a poet in a forbidden love story, Please review, criticism welcome.
As long as we have each other

Chapter One: A search for Love

A tale of Romance, Action, Adventure, set in modern day Doncaster, where a young penniless musician is about to be faced with reality and a beautiful poet is about to learn the true meaning of love. Can the penniless musician prove himself to his family and can he help free the beautiful poet from her past? Will their love survive the dangers of Doncaster? Can they prove that love can conquer all as long as you believe?

The yellow street lights lit up the dark grey streets of Doncaster. Owls hooted and the moon lit up a ghostly path leading to a run down terraced house. At the top of the house a light flickered on and Harry Halliwell sighed as he sat down on his bed. He looked around at his bleak room, which consisted of a wardrobe, sink, bed and desk with yellowing wallpaper and a dingy light. Harry had come to Doncaster to escape his snobbish family and to pursue his dreams of becoming a musician and most of all to fall in love. His father thought him foolish to believe that all people need is love to survive and Harry was going to prove to him that ‘all you need is love’. So he’d taken on a job as a bartender and carrying only his suitcase and beloved guitar found this small bed sit in a rundown house with a dragon as a housekeeper.

Harry jumped as there was a knock on his door; cautiously he opened it, to see a young man in a smart suit, wearing glasses standing on the other side.

“Hey there, my names James Pearce and I’ve just came to welcome you to the house of horror!” said the man grinning.
“Ah thanks, I’m Harry, Harry Halliwell” replied Harry laughing, “I hope it’s not that bad staying here! Which is your room?”
“I live across the hall from you! I saw you carrying your guitar up here, are you a musician?” asked James smiling, this man seemed nice but a bit naïve.
“Umm well I’m trying to be” Harry said leaning against his door frame.
“Ah well good luck, I’m an artist who truly believes that all one needs is love to survive this harsh world!”
Harry couldn’t believe his love, another person who shared his obsession with love. “Really, me too, my father doesn’t agree though” Harry stared at his feet sadly.
“Ah well here most people believe in love, beauty, freedom and truth, what I was going to ask you is would you like to come with me to the La Anglais Theatre?”
Harry thought about it for a second “Yeah sure! I’ll just grab my coat”

*

An hour later Harry and James were sitting at a table in the La Anglais Theatre, it truly was a spectacular place. The big room had a stage with a dance floor in the middle, a grand bar was spread across one wall and elegant tables and chairs lay scattered where there was space. It was packed with all sorts of people, old men, young students, giggly girls and couples.

“The main attraction tonight is a performance from La Anglais Belle” yelled James over the noise of the room.
“The English Beauty, Who’s that?” asked Harry interested.
“The most beautiful girl you’ll ever see, she sings here on a Friday night, her names Phoenix, a friend of mine” explained James, glancing over to the stage.
“Really she sounds amazing, what is she like then” Harry said thinking that Phoenix was a beautiful name.
“A feisty, strong-willed girl on the outside, on the inside the nicest girl you could meet, Phoenix’s ambition is to be a writer, some jokingly call her the singing poet! She’s had a tough life but honestly you couldn’t meet a more loyal person any where” explained James thinking of his fiery, stubborn, kind friend.
Before Harry had time to digest this information, the lights dimmed and a spot light lit up the stage, a girl of about 19 stepped out gracefully. Harry sighed; she was the most beautiful girl she’d ever seen, with long wavy red hair, olive skin and big beautiful brown eyes that scanned the room almost proudly. An hourglass figure and her perfect height perfected the perfection. Breathing in deeply and spreading her arms like a bird about to take flight she started to sing in her pure musical voice.

“It’s the last night on Earth before the great divide,
My hands are shaking; Time was never on our side”

She glided down the steps to the dance floor and sang in a more powerful voice, eyes scanning the room
“It’s never enough, no matter how many times I try to tell you this is love,
If tomorrow never comes, I want you to know right now” Her brown eyes locked with Harry’s blue ones.
“I’m going to love you until the day I die”, Phoenix stared her proud gaze at him, her heart filled with warmth, confused she carried on her song until she heard a round of applause.

Back in her dressing room Phoenix De Vere sighed, that had never happened before, she’d never felt that way just by looking into someone’s eyes. She shivered as she remembered; it was like drowning in his deep blue eyes. Looking around her small dressing room Phoenix turned towards her mirror, a beautiful face gazed back at her, big dark eyes with long lashes, a delicate nose, a full wide mouth the colour of a rose. Her long red wavy hair hung around her face contrasting with her olive skin. Silently she brushed her hair while thinking about the mess her life was in.

At the age of 16 Phoenix ran away from home to escape her miserable Aunt Eleanor, she’d been orphaned at 6 years old. She didn’t remember much of her parents only the feeling of being loved. On one cold December day her father and mother, Richard and Cassie De Vere were killed in a car accident leaving their free spirited daughter to be raised by Cassie’s sister Eleanor, a mean faced woman with a cold personality. When Phoenix turned 16 she’d had enough and ran away to start a new life in Doncaster, a place of excitement, adventure and most of all freedom. Over the years Phoenix had moved from job to job, room to room until she was found by Keith Zidler, the owner of La Anglais Theatre. On Friday and Saturday nights she performed, during the week she worked as a waitress in a dingy bar and practised her routine most days. Her life was empty, it revolved around her work. Years of proving herself and experiencing a hard life had made Phoenix strong-willed, cold and hard, yet it hadn’t got rid of her kind nature. Stop thinking of the past She told herself, checking her make-up in the mirror she made herself smile yet though it lit up her face it couldn’t hide the desolate feeling in her eyes or the hope that one day her bleak life would light up.

Harry and James were talking quietly on their way to getting drunk. Harry couldn’t get rid of La Anglais Belle or more known as Phoenix out of his head. She’s so beautiful, yet proud and boy can she sing! Thought Harry while listening to James describing Doncaster.

“Anyway chap! A friend of mine will be joining us in a minute, I really want you to meet her” said James looking at his phone and grabbing his can of beer in the other hand.
“Oh right” replied Harry checking his watch, “Umm who is it, only I would like to go...” He trailed off as he saw her coming towards the table. Phoenix stood there smiling that pretty smile.

“Hi James!” she slid into the seat next to Harry gracefully, “How are you?”
“Heya Goldie, I’m on my way to getting drunk!” replied James slurring his words a little “Phoenix I would like you to meet my new neighbour Harry Halliwell, Harry I would like you to meet my good friend Miss Phoenix De Vere, star of the La Anglais Theatre and whom I nickname Goldie!”

Harry turned and shook Phoenix’s hand, electricity shot through them.
“Hey nice to meet you at last, you were wonderful tonight” said Harry staring at her, oh she was beautiful
“Thanks, it’s great to meet you to, I hope we become friends” replied Phoenix staring into Harry’s eyes.

“Phoenix De Vere, there you are!” a voice shouted threw the crowds; Phoenix turned her eyes widening in shock.

What do you think? Please review

Songs used- “Last night on Earth” by Delta Goodrem
© Copyright 2008 Locket (poeticflower at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1404583-As-long-as-we-have-each-other