*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1404953-Love-Bites-chapter1---Term-Start
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1404953
furs in highschool, dealing with romantic turmoil.
Love Bites



         
This is a story about high school in which all characters and students are furs, and they go from age sixteen to age twenty-two. It's set in Drakhan, a world filled with magic and beastial races, Anairu and Draconians- furs. Drakhan was origianlly a medieval type of world, but this story takes place in one of the future eras, so its similar to our own.

Most of the story deals with relationships of both the hetero, and homo manner.  I don’t right smut, but you can use your imagination, that’s what you have it for.  This is just a warning to you homophobes that some characters are gay, and you will see some things from their point of view.  Enjoy!

(Ooh!  One last thing.  It’s a full school, so email me (leosolaris@yahoo.com) if your interested in having a character attend, and possibly become part of the story, note that I will not take characters for story purposes if you do not so wish it.  Now enjoy!)

Chapter 1 – Term Start; introductions. 

The alarm rang at full volume, sending its deathly call throughout the room.

Leo sighed, groaned, and pounded the snooze button, silencing the infernal
machine and then taking his time to properly deactivate the alarm.  After he was sure the death knell was properly silenced, he sat up, draping his legs over the side of his bed, and tiredly rubbed his eyes.  His wings hung limply behind him, his whole body lax and desiring nothing more than to return to the sweet embrace of sleep, to dive again into the splendorous world housed in his sub-consciousness; he had dreamt of her again.

But alas, the real world was a cruel realm, and dreams were impossible to hold onto, slipping between your fingers and dispersing like the morning mist.

A glance at his clock confirmed his fears, 6:30.  He sighed and jumped out of his bed.  It was a rather unusual bed; Leo had been surprised when he first saw it.  It was a tree-bed.  That’s right; the bed was in a tree, which was in his dorm.  Leo didn’t ask how it got there, no doubt the Mynanian magic was involved, he had just been happy it was.  Before coming to school here, he had lived in a forest, and had enjoyed sleeping in trees.  Sure, he admitted that a bed in a tree was kinda weird, but it had helped with the transition. 

He landed with a soft thud, his tail swishing to maintain balance at his sudden stop.  He stood, his lupine eyes adjusting to the dim lighting, and glanced around, re-familiarizing himself with his surroundings after his expedition into his sub-conscious.  It only took a moment before it all came screaming back. School. 

He laughed silently at himself.  How could he remember the tree-bed, but not remember the school?  Heh, he supposed he just didn’t want to remember it was the first day of classes. 

Half-mindedly, he set about getting ready.  A quick shower, combing and brushing his fur so didn’t frizz out after drying, getting dressed (to properly mourn the first day, he decided to wear black jeans, he didn’t wear shirts on account of his wings), and wrapping up his tail in bandage type cloth, leaving the tip exposed to mimic a lions tail.  He wasn’t sure why he did that last one… it just sort of… felt right.  His name was Leo, it was not a nickname, and his hair already was fashioned after a mane (it was long and thick, bushy too…) so why not?

Finishing up his tail, he grabbed a raw steak from a bowl on their table, glancing at his roommate.  Korin was a dragon, a green-red mix (Earthen Drake, hybrid of a Pyranian and Mynanian), and a very gay dragon.  When he and Leo met, he made it very clear that he was straight, and that hitting on him would result in a quick death.  Korin merely laughed, called Leo ‘cute’, and walked off.  At least he hadn’t tried anything with Leo…

“Lucky bastard.”  Leo said before leaving the dorm.  Korin didn’t have any classes until later, so he got to sleep in longer.  Not that he normally slept in, he just did it today to peeve Leo off.  Leo made a mental note, adding another tally to Korin’s impressive list of reasons to be tortured.


Grabbing his bag at the door, he stepped out into the hallway, locked the door, and headed towards his first class.  Luckily his locker resided by the room, since most of his classes were in that area.  As a fourth year (a senior, in effect, though this school advanced to six years of study), he was able to choose a lot of electives, things he actually wanted to take.  That was an upside at least.

Leo had just finished coming down the stairs when he heard a voice behind him.  Immediately he recognized it.

“Leo!  You excited?” Tsuyoy, a short little freshman cougar shouted.  Tsuyoy was a friend of the families, and evidently thought himself important enough to hang and talk with Leo, which of course, he was not.  Leo hated the annoying little cat, hated him with a passion.  Unfortunately, he couldn’t do anything about it.  By father’s orders, he had to be nice to him, never mind the fact that father was not here, he’d find out someway…

Leo growled.  “Why would I be excited for school?”

“Well, you’re taking that class…Taima… something…”  Regardless of the malice in Leo’s voice, Tsuyoy was completely unfazed, answering in his usually ‘always happy’ mood.  Gods he drove Leo insane…

“Thaumaturgy?  Well, magic is no reason to enjoy school.” Leo turned and started padding off, and still Tsuyoy followed, undaunted in his endeavor to befriend the large wolf. 

“Thaumaturgy!  That was it!  Yeah… but why not?  I think magic would be cool.  You could cast spells!” 

Leo groaned.  Was the cat figuring this out all by himself?  He sure seemed shocked enough… why couldn’t he just leave him alone?  It was like he had this obsessive need to please Leo and be liked by him.  Leo was willing to bet he was gay, but Tsuyoy was very against that.  He chuckled to himself remember the first time Tsuyoy and Korin had met.

“What’s so funny?”  Tsuyoy asked hearing Leos laugh.

“Nothing.” Leo said, but Tsuyoy continued to insist that he be brought into the loop.  Leo knew that Tsuyoy would not leave him be until he found out why he laughed, so decided to show some mercy on the cougar, to receive mercy for himself.

“Well…” Leo grinned sadistically.  “I was just thinking how cute you’d look with Korin.  Y’know he’s still single…”  Leo tried not to laugh, it would ruin the effect.  He had to be serious. 

It worked, Tsuyoy’s smile faded, fast.  “Dude… that’s not cool…”

Leo laughed, enjoying Tsuyoy’s apparent torment.  “Come on, at least consider him?  He likes you…”  The last part was, most likely, a lie.  Leo had no idea who Korin liked… he acted the same way to everyone, it was impossible to tell who he was hitting on for real, and who he was hitting on as a joke. 

Any trace of joy left in Tsuyoy (he had been hoping Leo was joking) vanished, his eyes darting about nervously, remembering the dragon of which Leo spoke, their first meeting sticking out sorely in his head. 

“I… I gotta go…”  Tsuyoy said quietly, looking around nervously as if Korin was going to appear any moment.

“Yah, fine, go!  You don’t need my permission.”  Freak Leo added silently.  Leo turned from Tsuyoy and resumed walking towards his first class: Thaumaturgy, the study of magic.  If you wanted to take magic classes (which Leo had), you needed to take Thaumaturgy with it.  It was a sort of pre-requisite, though the class did not need to be completed before the magic casting classes where taken.  He had Abjuration later with Korin and so forth.  Korin had taken it last year, and so could torment Leo with the thought of sleeping in because he didn’t plan ahead. 

He turned the dial to his locker, having reached the magic wing, where most of his classes this year resided (which, grudgingly he had to admit, made school a little more exciting, as Tsuyoy had said).  Opening his locker, he eyed the books within.  The weird thing about this school (as if the tree-bed wasn’t weird enough…) was that the faculty had a little squad that took care of the students book buying needs, and deposited them in their respective lockers.  Leo had no idea why they did this, perhaps it they needed something to do during the summer. 

Point being, he had never seen these books in his life, and was quite horrified to find out how many there were.  And how large they were…

And, as luck would have it, the one class he didn’t really want to take had to have the largest book. 

Groaning audibly, he took the Thaumaturgy textbook, as well as the Abjurers guide.  He’d most likely flip through it once his first class proved to be boring.  He thought about taking the Evoker’s Compendium as well, but figured he wouldn’t have time to peruse that one; he had to pay at least some attention.  And he believed that Abjuration would give him enough to think about… and he didn’t want to have to carry three huge books.

So, content with his current load of two large books (one that should have counted for three… groan.), Leo headed into class.  It was still a few minutes before class started, but he had nothing to do, and so no harm in being one of the early ones for a change. 

Opening the door, he noticed a few people were already in the class, chatting away in their little groups.  Leo found himself a seat, in the back right corner of the room; his usual spot.  Absentmindedly, he began flipping through the Thaumaturgy textbook, reading chapter titles… glancing at diagrams… it was by far the most boring book he’d ever seen.  From what he could gather, it talked of the history of magic, how each race developed their own unique style, the integration of magic into the life streams of the draconians, and other randomly pointless things.

“Syria!  Hey, how’d you get into this class?”  A voice interrupted Leo’s thoughts… if you could call them that.  But that name sounded so familiar… he could swear he had heard it somewhere before…

Leo looked up, glancing around for the source of the voice, a young female cheetah.  Following her gaze, Leo tracked down Syria.

Leo’s mouth dropped.  “Oh… Great Lord…”

It was the one from his dreams.

----------------------

[Hey, guess what!  That’s the end of this chapter!  Short?  Don’t worry, I’m going to try and update weekly!  It’ll be hard at times, with school and all, but I will try! 

Anyway, remember at the end of your Saturday Cartoons or whatever, Anime most the time, they had that “Next week, on _________!”  Well, I’m gonna do it too!  If that annoyed you, you’re free to skip this here.]


Next Time, on Love Bites!

Voice of Leo:          I can’t believe it!  It’s her!  The woman I’ve been dreaming about!

Voice of Korin:          Whoa… spooky.

Voice of Tsuyoy:          That’s kind of fun.  You gonna ask her out?

Voice of Leo:                    It’s none of your business!

Voice of Tsuyoy:          I was just asking a question…

Voice of Leo:                    Well… I would… but its complicated…

Voice of Tsuyoy:          What do you mean?

Voice of Korin:          *Laugh*  oh, your gonna love this
© Copyright 2008 Canis_Lupis (leosolaris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1404953-Love-Bites-chapter1---Term-Start