*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1406199-The-Mother-Has-Her-Reasons
Rated: ASR · Short Story · History · #1406199
Why am I still here?
The Mother Has Her Reasons


I open my eyes slowly, almost surprised to waken again. I miss my wife. I miss her children. I know not why the Great Mother has kept me here, older by 2 generations than the next oldest member of the clan. Creaking and aching, I clamber to my feet. Hunched over my staff, I make my way to the communal fire, accepting a horn of tea from one of the young women. Sipping, I nod my pleasure to her, and set my old bones down to enjoy the warmth both in my hands, and on my body from the fire. The same young woman brings a bowl to me, warmed cooked grains flavored with meat left from the last hunt. I sigh, remembering the feel of meat in my jaws, fresh from the kill, and the rich, rubbery taste of liver, still warm from the beast. With no teeth left to me, I must be satisfied with the memories and the grains.

After I eat, I pull myself to my feet and move to another place, one that the sun has been warming. Before I sit, I face the Sun, brother to the Mother, and move my hands in the traditional signs of thanks for his daily return. As I settle myself, the child Hiro comes to me and asks for permission to speak. I motion him to a seat near me and wait for his words.

“Elder, I am almost a man. My mother’s mate died two winters ago, and I have had no one to teach me the ways of the beast and forest. I wish to learn. My mother says you were the greatest hunter the clan has known...surely you have much to share. The hunters honor you, and always bring you a portion of their kills.”

“I know much of the ways of the hunt, and can teach you if you wish to learn. First, bring your spear and a sharpened bone.” The boy does as I ask, and I take both from his hands. “Sit, watch and learn.” The boy does, as I hold up his spear and appraise it. Small, but he has not come to his full growth, yet it is straight and sturdy. But plain. Using the sharpened bone, I work to mark the spear with several powerful symbols. Keeping my voice steady, I lower it and intone, “Spirit of the deer, I draw you into this spear. Like will call to like, and your spirit will cause this young man’s aim to be true. You will fly straight and true to the deer’s heart, and this hunter will honor you. He will spill the blood, to let the spirit escape back to the Mother. He will always thank you for your aid. He will honor you in his heart and spirit.”

I return the spear to the boy.

Several days later, as I rest near the fire, I hear a cry. I look up to see the boy whose spear I had changed walking towards me. He is carrying the liver of a deer, which he presents to me. He gestures to one of the young women who comes forward with a sharpened stone blade and begins cutting the liver into tiny pieces, which the young man places in my mouth. As I enjoy the taste, the new hunter begins telling me of his hunt. Others gather around, as Hiro acts out the hunt, dancing so the Mother and her mate and son, the Green Hunter could also enjoy the story. At the end, he shows his powerful spear to the others.

* * *


Again I open my eyes and am surprised to see a new day. After my tea, I move to my accustomed place in the grass. After seating myself, I look around to see the children of the clan standing around. None moves until Hiro’s brother steps forward.

“Elder, we also are not yet men, but we soon will be. We ask for you to teach us the ways of the hunt and the forest. No one else knows all that you know. The Green Hunter himself honors your words, the Great Mother listens also. We would listen, watch and learn as did my brother.”

I look at all of the children, meeting one set of eyes after the other. And at last I know why the Mother has kept me here for so long.......
© Copyright 2008 ShadowMouse (knitmouse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1406199-The-Mother-Has-Her-Reasons