*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1407234-Guardian-Angel
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1407234
A girl trying to keep her brother safe from danger

  It had been a year since I had died in that car crash, that one shocking morning. Since then I had been following my younger brother, Matthew around trying to protect him. Since I had died that young 13 year old boy had been majorly depressed and not his usual perky self. I was concerned for him and decided to make sure he was going to be safe the rest of his life. As I started following him around I learned so much about him that I never knew before. Such as how much he got picked on by everyone in his school. It was hard to see him so somber all the time.
  Not too long ago had my parents decided that they couldn't live in New Mexico any more, because of how sad they were about my death, so they moved to Colorado, and finally got there and settled in about a week ago. Something tells me that by the way Matthew was acting that he didn't like the idea of moving too much, but that he was glad to get away from all the people that disliked him and start over.
  Matthew started school on Wednesday and I, as usual followed him there. The school that they have in Colorado was much smaller than the one he was attending in New Mexico. I wasn't sure if he was pleased with that or if he just didn't care. The one thing I did notice when I was there, was this dark haired kid that sat and glowered at him through out day.
  Now I got worried and wondered what his problem was with Matthew, he didn't do a darn thing to him and he was already mad at him for no good reason. I could tell, by the frequent glances at him that Matthew noticed it also, and it made him a little uncomfortable. " Okay, I noted to myself, I was going to have to keep an eye on him"
  The next couple months had been the same way, I found out that the dark haired kid was named Jamon, and he never stopped giving Matthew the evil eye. Matthew did find a friend though, her name was Kristin, and they hung out for a better part of the day. Once I heard them talking, and I came up in the conversation. Kristin had asked if he had any brothers or sisters. "Well I used to," Matthew replied with a sorrowful look in his eye. "What happend?" she asked. "She died in a car accadent about a year ago," he whispered. She got a shocked look on her face and didn't quite know how to respond. "What's her name?" she finally said. "Her name's Victoria, and I miss her, but sometimes it feels like she's still with me," he continued, "almost as if she was always standing next to me, watching out for me."
  Kristin just stayed quiet, Matthew looked up into her eyes and said, "You probably think I'm crazy for thinking that hu?" She was quiet for a second longer,as it she was thinking of an answer, then said, "No I don't think your crazy, I just don't know what to think of all this. I feel so bad for you." And that was the end of that conversation. I knew before all of this that he was still takeing my death pretty hard. It's at times like those that I just want to reach out and tell him that I am still here and that I care about him. But I can't.
  As the weeks passed I could see my little brother and Kristin getting closer. They talked about everything from, jokes to really personal stuff. I also noticed that Jamon was following him around more and looking more and more angry within each day. I am going to follow him around one of these days just to see what he's like and see if I can figure out just what he's so against my little brother for.
  I decided to follow him around next Monday. So when Monday came around that's just what I did. He didn't seem to have very many people to talk to so I couldn't very well get any information out of him. That very day I decided to follow him home just so I could get a better idea of what he's like, and maybe get some answers. As he trudged home from school he started muttering something. I tried to understand just exactly what he was saying, but i couldn't make anything out. When he got home I followed him up to his room, he closed his door and went straight to his desk. He immediately started writing on something, so I went over to get a closer look. I curiously looked over his shoulder and saw a diagram. As I examined the paper, I realized that it was a diagram of the school. Then I looked over to some of the notes that he was writing off to the side.
  It said, "Humanities block, get inside before lunch ends" As I stuggled to comprehend what that could possibly mean he flipped to another page in his journal and quickly wrote some things down, then turned the page to a picture of my brother. As soon as I saw that I freaked out. What was written on that last page? I had to find out. "Jamon!" I heard come from down stairs. He looked up and quickly left. I figured that must be his mom or someone. As soon as he left I flipped the page to see what he had written down.
  "Get Matthew in Humanities room before lunch ends, come in through the door with knife ready and kill. Thursday. " I couldn't believe what I had just read, I read it at least 2 more times. I just couldn't take in what I had just read. Neatly printed out, right in front of me was the plan to kill my little brother. What in the world was I going to do? I had to think of something I didn't want him dead too. Soon I heard Jamon climbing up the stairs again. I quickly turned the page back to my brother and decided to leave this mess and come up with a plan.
  I quickly went to my brother's house and came in right as they were eating dinner, soon I saw my mom stand up and say that she had big news to tell everyone. Everyone of course looked up curiously to see what she was about to say. "When she was sure that she had my dad and Matthew's attention she said, "I went to the doctor today, and he said that I was going to have another baby," she smiled happily as my dad stood up and kissed her joyfully as my brother sat there amazed. Soon he got a really sad look on his face and exused himself from the table. My parents were too busy celebrating the news that they didn't even seem to notice how sad my little brother was. I followed him to his room and found him on his bed crying, I couldn't quite figure out why he was so sad about this, but I had a pretty good idea. So I laid down next to him to cry with him.
 

  Thursday came around and I think I had somewhat of a plan of what I was to do about this situation. I still couldn't believe what was going to happen, what did Matthew even do to this kid to make him want to kill him? How in the world was he going to get Matthew in the classroom anyways? I soon got my answer, Matthew went into his third block class and on one of his papers said, "Please come to your Humanities class 30 minutes before lunch ends." I looked up at the clock and realized that lunch was next block. So 20 minutes before that class ended I left to go to his classroom, I looked over at Jamon, he still had that venomous look on his face. I decided to leave now so I could be ready for whatever was going to happen. I took on last glance at my poor brother and left.
  I waited about another 45 minutes in the Humanities class room before Matthew came in. He looked kind of confused as to why he was there but he went over and sat down to await his fate. It had been about 10 minutes that he was waiting, so he got up and waited by the door, his back towards it of course. I started getting really scared as to what was going to happen next, I wish I could just yell out to him to get out of the room as fast as he could but I couldn't. I just couldn't.
  ►Soon I heard someone walking around outside, I got my knife ready and prepared myself to jump as soon as I heard that door open. As I listened for the door, I soon heard it creek open, of course my brother didn't hear it, but as soon as I did I jumped with the knife pointing downward. I barely missed him. ►  I soon fell to the ground, disoriented I heard a loud thump on the floor. I forced myself to look up, knowing that I had missed my target. I opened my eyes to the worst sight I had ever seen, my little brother's face right in front of mine, blood seeping out of his chest where he had been stabbed. I looked behind me to see Jamon slip out of the classroom. I weakly sat up not knowing what to do, I stared at my little brother lying helplessly on the floor. I can't believe I missed I thought to myself. I had one chance. Just one chance at saving his life, and i failed.
  "Victoria," I jumped as I heard my name, and quickly turned around to see my little brother standing behind me. As I saw him I stood up and ran to him to embrace him. We were both crying as the bell rang. I looked up into his eyes not quite sure of what to say, I was just so glad that I was able to talk to him again. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you," I cried. "He just shook his head and said, "In a way I'm kind of glad you couldn't. We stayed there a minute longer looking at each other, until all of his classmates came in. Of course they were shocked and they started freaking out not knowing what to do with the dead body on the floor. Finally someone got help and a security guard came in and had someone call 911.
  It was mayhem in the classrooom as everyone was crowding around to see what happend. When Jamon came in he quietly slipped into the back of the room.  When the police finally came in they ordered everyone to get out of the building, so they could investegate.
  Not long after there was an announcement telling everyone to go home, they, of course explained what happend and soon the busses and cars came to pick up the students. As me and Matthew were standing there we saw Kristin pass us by sobbing uncontrollably. Matthew looked very concerned about her and went after her, as soon as I realized what he was going to do, I stopped him. "Don't talk to her, Matthew, " I warned, " You will scare the living daylights out of her if you do." Soon a look of understanding came over his face. "Is that why you never talked to me?" he asked. I nodded my head and said, "Yeah but I was with you the whole time, I wanted to look out for you even when I wasn't alive." His face softened and he stayed quiet for a moment.
  Later that day we went home to see if mom and dad had heard the news yet, we got there right as the police came to tell them. We stood by the doorway to see how mom and dad were going to take it. When mother came to the door, the police said, "Mrs. Carr, we are sorry to tell you this but your son has been murdered at the school, if you would like to come identify his body that would be great." What a nice way to tell her, I thought sarcasticly. Soon they left and my mom went inside, got her car keys and drove off to the school. Once she got there and saw all the police there and saw her son's body lying there lifelessly. She broke down crying.
  It was so hard to see mom like this again. My brother and I started crying with her. After everything had settled down a little bit a police officer came over to our mother and explained that they had found who had murdered Matthew and showed her the tape of what was captured. "The only thing that we can't figure out, was that small flicker of light just before he was stabbed." he said. They backed up to the flicker of light and showed it to our mother again. "It didn't come from his knife, because it was at the wrong angle," he explained. I thought about it and knew right away what it was, it was my knife, as I flew through the air. My mother broke down crying again as she saw the video for the third time. They stopped the clip and went over to comfort her.
  Once she settled down again they started explaining more of what they knew about the murderer. "We have researched Jamon's record and says that he used to live in California and has killed two other people before, although we are not sure why he killed your son or any of the other kids we do know that this time he is going to jail" said the cop. I sighed with a relief.
 

  After everything had settled down again, our mother had her baby. Matthew and I were in the hospital with her and our dad watching our new baby sister, Alicia. Our parents were so happy again, they are both still seeing a councelor, and you can definatly tell that Matthew's death had made a huge impact in their lives, because not only one of their children were gone but now two were. We couldn't imagine how hard that would be on them. But now that Alicia was born I think they were much happier. Me and Matthew went over to go have a look at our new little sister, when we saw her we smiled and Matthew looked up at me and said, "Victoria?" "Yes?" i asked. "I want to take care of Alicia, just like you took care of me," he smiled. I nodded. "Me too little brother, me too."
© Copyright 2008 Rebecca (singingmunkee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1407234-Guardian-Angel