*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1407487-EuroSofiaXX
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1407487
This is just something I'm working on, so I haven't finished it yet...
Did you know that business class seats have 3 windows to themselves? Yeah. 3. What would one do with 3 windows on an airplane? Well, I don’t know, maybe it’s a rich people thing, because I’m not rich. I had only been on an airplane twice before this; once when I was 7 going to Disneyworld, and once when I was 12 going to visit my grandparents in Colorado. Both were in Economy.
That’s the stuff you think of when you’re on your way to Europe for studying abroad. Except, I wasn’t studying, exactly. I was starting college at Ashbourne in 3 months. So now, I’m headed to Europe early so I can see it. All of it, hopefully. My Grandma Mary had just died in New York, so I had to stay there for a couple of weeks, and I was glad to get away. They’re still trying to track down her will, though I don’t know what the old bat would have in the rinky-dink house she owned. Anyway. I got a scholarship to Ashbourne for Business and Management, so my parents insisted on spending a little money for me to sit in business class. They almost had me sit in First class, but who needs a chair the size of Rhode Island and a vase of fresh flowers next to you for and 8-hour flight for $5,000.00? I was so, completely bored sitting in a chair (though a comfy one) contemplating what I would do when I got there. I hadn’t planned anything, not hotels, not tours, not anything, wanting everything to be “spur of the moment”. I still had an hour and a half left of the flight, so I decided to look out the window and try and fall asleep. A metallic voice announced that we would be arriving in our destination, Frankfurt, soon. Considering I was completely jet lagged, and my eyelids felt like weights, I didn’t really care. I glanced out of the airplane. You know what I saw? Water. Water and water and water. We were over the Atlantic Ocean; go figure. A Swedish woman came by with a basket of rolls, but I really wasn’t in the mood. Finally, I got to a fitful sleep, earning me about half an hour of sleep. Yea…
The airport was a mess. It was packed with tourist families for summer break vacations, and they lost my luggage. All of it (I brought 2 bags). So, I waited there for 4 hours because I had no where else to go, and I needed my luggage. During that time, I tracked down a hotel for tonight, chewed off all of my fingernails, read the ‘Tourist Information’ pamphlet 3 times, severely annoyed the lady at the Lost Luggage counter by asking her if this was her second job, and had just enough time to find the cure for AIDS (just kidding on the last one). Finally, when they got my luggage, it was 11:00 at night, even though I was still wide awake, because it was 4:00 in the afternoon in New York. I took a cab to the hotel, spending about 30 bucks (one euro can buy 1.5 dollars) and getting to my room, which was about as big as a closet. I looked at a little card on my bed. It read…
Hello sofia
my name is amelia. i am your relative. i know who you are, but don’t be frightened. your grandma mary was my grandma mary too. in the lobby, go left from the stairs and there will be two computers. log on to the one on the right as a guest and open up aim. log in as eurosofiaxx. I will be there. you will recognize my username. believe me, i will tell you everything else on aim. go right after you finish reading this letter, and take it with you. i know that you want to go to europe for your summer trip before high school. i will just make it a little more interesting.
-amelia
P.S. if you see me, you will recognize me. You’d be surprised at how much twins look alike.
Wow. No “Welcome to France” or “Happy to have you here”. Just a cryptic letter from a very creepy person. Suddenly, I felt as if I was being watched, by this “Amelia” person, so I thought it best to do as she said. On my way down the narrow whitewashed staircase, I thought about the P.S. Well, duh twins look alike. But she made it seem as if…well… I didn’t have time to finish my thought. I had already reached the computer. I sat down in a stiff wooden chair and logged on as a guest. I pulled up AIM and logged in as the username Amelia gave me. Ha; I am already using this person’s name, Amelia, as if I know her. Then, I realized that she didn’t give me a password. Perfect. There may be a serial killer out there waiting to murder me if I didn’t log in like she said, and I don’t have a password. I looked over the letter, then turned it over. On the back, it said,
A G V M S E L J U I Y T A G B 1
That’s helpful. Yeah, real helpful. IT’S A BUNCH OF FREAKIN’ GIBBERISH!! I looked at it for about 10 minutes, and almost started typing my will on the computer, when I noticed that in the bottom corner it said “letter1_ _ letter2”. When I looked back up, I saw that when you started with the first letter and skipped 2 letters than went on to the next, it spelled “AMELIA1”. Ha! In your FACE, Amelia. You can’t kill me now. Oh. Wait. Yeah she can. She just talks to me on AIM before she does. I sighed, then logged on. I had no buddies except for one very original (yeah, right) name: ameliagirl. I clicked on the ominous name, and started typing.
Eurosofiaxx: hello?
Ameliagirl: hello, sofia.
Eurosofiaxx: y r u threatening mi?
Ameliagirl: im not.
Eurosofiaxx: wut du u want frum mi?
Ameliagirl: I want 2 come w/ u.
Eurosofiaxx: were?
Ameliagirl: around Europe w/ u.
Eurosofiaxx: I don’t no u.
Ameliagirl: u did. Once.
Eurosifaxx: ???
Ameliagirl: ur adopted. When u were little, I was alive. Now im not. We were twins. I died in a car accident w/ u in the car 2. U lived. I didnt. I find it unfair u lived & I didnt. So now, u repay mi bi letting mi come w/ u around Europe. I never got 2 c anything like it, cuz I died wen we were 2. I m ur angel sister, and I want 2 c the world.
Eurosofiaxx: ur dead. Cant u just go on ur own?
Ameliagirl: no. I want 2 go w/ u.
Eurosofiaxx: fine. Follow me. But u sed in the letter that if I saw u, I wud recognize u. ur ded. I cudn’t c u anyway.
Ameliagirl: ud b surprised. Go 2 paris france in 2 days. Call the # 1.800.634.7514 for reservations. I already buked them & ur hole trip. There’s a computer there 2. Log on ASAP as a guest and username 4 AIM.
AMELIAGIRL HAS SIGNED OFF AT 24:13:06. AMELIAGIRL WILL RECEIVE YOUR INSTANT MESSAGES WHILE AWAY.
God, this girl seriously freaks me out. She tells me, over IM, that she is my dead twin, that she wants to come with me on a European trip, and that I have to go to Paris, France and call 1-800-634-7514 for reservations to a hotel that I don’t even know about! Though I was scared on so many different levels, I decided it was the best decision to get my butt to Paris. I checked out of the Hotel the next morning, and took a train to Paris. On the way, I was brave enough to call the number on my cell phone. It rang three times, then finally someone answered.
“Hello?” said the mystery person on the phone.
“…hello?” I said. “This is Sofia.
“Ah, Sofia. Hello. Sofia Finnerty? I am the receptionist at the French Floridian.”
“Yes…Yes, hello.” I replied reluctantly.
“We have you reserved for the Continental Suite in 2 days. Are you calling to confirm?”
“Uh, yes. Yeah, yes I am! How much will it cost?” I winced for the cost.
“Ms. Finnerty, you have already prepaid it.”
“Oh…oh yes, I have. So sorry. Goodbye.”
“Goodbye.” Apparently Amelia has already reserved me, like she said. I looked around my hotel. Realizing that I had nothing to do in Frankfurt, I called the woman up again.
“Hello, this is Julia at the French Floridian. How may I help you?”
“HI, this is Sofia Finnerty.”
“Oh, Sofia, hello! How may I help you?”
“Hi, is it possible for me to come to the, I mean my, suite today instead of Wednesday?”
“Well, hold on a second, Sofia, let me check,” said Julia. I heard some keyboard clicking and Julia speaking French to someone, and then she got back on the line.
“Well, no one has it booked out, so yes, you can come today. Your limo will be at your hotel in 10 minutes.”
“Limo?”
“Why, yes, you ordered a limo to pick you up at your hotel in Frankfurt. Didn’t you?”
“Um… Yes, yes I did. Sorry. ‘Bye.”
“Yes, goodbye.” At that, I heard the click of the receiver. I hung up my cell phone, and slipped it in my fake light blue Prada. God, I loved that purse. I got it when I was little and my parents brought me back a bunch of stuff, that included. That was when they were having some money problems with their company, so they bought me a fake one and told me it was real. I didn’t use it for years, so I never took the price tag off until I first used it. When I saw the amount on the little piece of cardstock, $19.95, I knew it couldn’t have been real. I was still sitting at the computer desk when I saw a shiny black stretch limo pull up to the front of the hotel. I walked outside, clutching the handle of my purse.
“Hello,” said the chauffer, with is pretty black cap and long polyester coat. “I’m here to pick up, um,” he looked at a little index card. “Sofia Finnerty.”
“Yep, that’s me.” I said.
“Hello, my name is Harold. I will be your chauffer for today.” I shook his hand, when I just remembered that I forgot all my stuff in my hotel room.
“Oh, geez, I just realized I forgot my luggage,” I said with a nervous chuckle. “I’ll just go grab them…” As I turned to turn up the steps, I was blocked by the chauffer’s arm.
“No worries, ma’am, I’ll get them.” With that, he climbed the stairs and entered the hotel. He went to the main desk and talked with the receptionist. Immediately, the bellboy went up the elevator, then came back a few minutes later, returned carrying my 2 bags, his face red with the job of it. He brought them out, then quickly set them down. He exhaled, then went back into the hotel and turned out of sight. The entire time, I was just standing there, dumbly looking into the lobby. The chauffer stepped out, and opened the door for me.
“Ready, ma’am?”
“Uh, yeah, sure,” I said, awkwardly getting into the car. He shut the door behind me, and made his way to the driver’s seat. I looked around; there was a minibar, with Coke and 7-Up. On the roof, it had panels of mirrors. The leather seats had no seatbelts, so I chose to sit in the corner; I don’t exactly know why, but that just made me feel safer. In the opposite corner of the car, there was a mini black TV, but when I tried to turn it on, I only got static. I stared out the window on the very, very long drive to Paris. It had started to rain, and I was bored exponentially by the time we finally got to Paris. Harold came around and opened the door. I slid down and got out, thanking him. He just smiled and nodded. I looked at the French Floridian. I gasped. This was an amazing hotel.
It was huge, and shaped like a square. There was an immense tower at every vertex of the square, with bells in it, presumably for ringing at every hour. There was intricate architecture and stained glass windows for every room. There was a large courtyard in the middle of the hotel, in the square. In the courtyard, there was a building towering above the rest of the hotel.
“Do you see that tower in the hotel, ma’am?” said Harold, as if reading my mind. “That’s your suite.” I just stared at it for a second. I get that entire tower?! Finally, I walked into the hotel, and signed in at reception.
“Oh, Sofia! Hi! I’m Julia, the one you talked with on the phone!” Julia was tall, with fluffy light brown hair, with equally brown eyes. She was wearing a poppy red coat and skirt uniform, with black kitten heels.
"Um, hi, Julia, I'm here to sign in?" I said.
"Oh, yes, of course!" exclaimed Julia. "Here, just sign here, here...oh yes, and here..." she handed me a clipboard with a bunch of blanks that I was apparently supposed to sign. Unfortunately, I couldn't really read any of it, considering it was in French, so I just signed where Julia wanted me to sign. Finally, when we were done, she lead me down winding corridors, explaining that I would absolutely love the suite, and how if I needed anything that I should call her, that she was SO excited to have someone in the suite again, since business has been SO slow, and I just nodded and tuned it out. I was attempting to get my bearings of the massive hotel, though failed miserably. Every corridor looked identical to the one before it and after it. Finally, we arrived at the courtyard in the middle of the hotel. I craned my neck to see the top of the tower. My tower, for now. Julia handed me a key, and said, "This is your room key. I suggest you keep it with you at all times. You wouldn't want anyone getting into your suite, would you?" Before I could answer, she turned around and unlocked a large wooden door. It opened with a screeching creak, and I looked down a large hallway. It was dark, but at the end of the corridor I could make out a large staircase.
"This way, now, honey," said Julia, heading toward the staircase. I followed, closing the door behind us. As we neared the stairs, I looked up into the musty tower, and was mildy disappointed to discover that most of the tower was made up of stairs. I laboriously climbed the multiple flights of stairs, following Julia, who seemed to scale the tower effortlessly. Finally, we reached the top of the building, facing an intricate wooden door with etchings of dragons and lions. It even had the lion head door knocker! Above the wrought iron door handle was a small key hole. Julia gave me the key, and I did the honors of unlocking the door. The minute I heard the click of the lock, I excitedly opened the door. As it swung open, I inhaled sharply, Julia smirking beside me.
My suite had 5 rooms: a bathroom, a bedroom, a living room, a kitchen, and a massive closet. I slowly walked into the living room, dropped my bags, and ran around, investigating my temporary home. My bed was massive, adorn with goosefeather comforters and plenty of pillows. My bathroom had a Jacuzzi, an immense shower, and a toilet. Every room accept the bathroom had a plasma screen TV. Julia walked into the living room, watching me sprint around from room to room like a kid in a candy shop.
"Is everything to your liking, Sofia?"
"Of course it is! This is amazing!" I screamed! Julia then exited, reassuring me that if I had any problems, I could call her, and left her card on my bureau. I ran into my bedroom and flopped down on my bed. I stared at the whitewashed ceiling above me, and my heart immediately sank the moment I remembered the reason I was here. I sat up, looked around again, then reluctantly got up, got my purse and my keys, and left my suite for the lobby. After looking at a map included in the suite's welcome folder I found on my bed, I finally found the lobby again. When Julia looked at me curiously, I replied "I just needed to use the computer," to relieve her of her duties. I sat down at the Sony Vaio laptops, and logged in as a guest. Then, though scared of what Amelia would say on AIM, I logged on as eurosofiaxx.
eurosofiaxx: hello?
ameliagirl: hello, sofia. r u in paris?
eurosofiaxx: ya
ameliagirl: good
ameliagirl: how du u like ur suite?
eurosofiaxx:gr8. y du u want me here?
ameliagirl: o, ive always wanted 2 c paris.
eurosofiaxx: y didn't u go b4?
ameliagirl: cuz i cudn't w/out some1 hoo i new
eurosofiaxx: wut, is that sum kind of a rule?
ameliagirl: actually, ya, it is. i cant go anywhere without getting consent from a living person i no. which wud b u.
eurosofiaxx: ok...
ameliagirl: u can go bak 2 ur rum now. but 2morrow, go c the sights of paris. then, 2 days frum now, come bak on IM and i will talk 2 u frum then.
AMELIAGIRL HAS SIGNED OFF. AMELIAGIRL WILL RECEIVE YOUR IMS WHILE SHE IS AWAY.
Of course. I am being followed by a ghost. I went up back to my room. When I entered the dark lobby to my stairs, I really would have appreciated a light. The darkness creeped me out after talking with my possibly dead ghost of a twin sister.
© Copyright 2008 betsymorgan96 (betsymorgan96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1407487-EuroSofiaXX