*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1408499-Dawn-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Sci-fi · #1408499
The town of Dawn's Hope, is now in far greater trouble, than they can possibly imagine.
                                          Dawn
                                   
                                      Chapter 5

        Kayla sat over him, as they were in the back of the bus riding away from Warsaw. His eyes were open slightly, but only her face could he see, since it was so dark outside. The continuous bumping of the bus on the road made his head feel worse. Isaac sat up and looked around him, seeing all the guns and ammunition they had retrieved and a few dozen people smashed up on another in the crammed vehicle. The bus was swerving this way and that, and all of a sudden, he heard gunfire from behind them. The windows at the back shattered, and everyone screamed and yelled and Daniel and Bobby, a chubby kid, opened fire at whoever they were. Then, Isaac went back down to laying partially on his seat.
         "Hold on!" Jeff yelled over the non-stop whizzing bullets and the roaring engines of the bus.
         They sped up, going faster and faster. The problem was that they couldn't go fast enough to outrun them, they were in a school bus that was quite overweight, afterall. Kayla ducked down and covered herself over the still half-unconcsious Isaac, as more bullets flew into the bus. Jake, another boy, came from the front and went to the back where he shot a few shotgun rounds into the enemy vehicle.
         "These guys just won't freakin' die!" Bobby screamed and reloaded his new M16 assault rifle. He opened fire again, at the supposed truck after them, not listening to Daniel about short controlled bursts.
         From behind the bus, an explosion occured and everyone back there yelled with joy over there kill. Kayla left Isaac for a moment and went to Fig. He was under his seat, crying.
         "It's all right, we're safe now," Kayla said.
         "I don't think we are just yet," Jake said overhearing her.
         Isaac, now fully alert, sat up again and looked out the back window. Two more trucks, with a few more kids with guns were chasing them. He quickly grabbed a gun, placed a magazine in the rifle and made himself ready, by splashing water into his face.
         "You should rest, you probably have a concussion," Kayla told him.
         "How do you think I'm supposed to rest now?" Isaac said and prepared himself.
         "We're coming up on Jefferson!" Jeff yelled and served onto the otherside of the highway.
         "How long have I been out?" Isaac asked.
         "A couple hours, maybe," Kayla replied, and looked out the window.
         A girl on the top of one of the trucks, aimed a rifle at them and fired. Jake was shot in the eye. He was killed instantly.
         "Oh, God! Jake!---" Bobby yelled and began firing with a fury.
         Isaac shot at the first truck and took out the passenger. It was the first official person he'd killed. It didn't feel great or anything, though. He felt horrible and his head didn't help much either. This didn't stop him from continuing to shoot, he had to survive one way or another. It was an instinct that drove him on, be it primal or not.
         The bus hit a sizable bump in the higway and Daniel flew up and hit his head. He fell to the bus floor, unconscious. Bobby kept firing, and Isaac the same. Bowser, the tall, bulky boy Isaac had seen back at the mansion, opened a latch to the top of the bus and grabbed a grenade. He pulled the pin, holding it for a few seconds and threw it. The grenade exploded just as it hit the windshield of the truck. This resulted in the truck's destruction.
         Only one truck left. The problem was, its passengers in the back were armed with deadly explosives. One of them carried an RPG of sorts and the other five had molotovs, grenades, pipe bombs and bombs strapped to their very chests. They seemed determined to kill the outsiders and the "non-believers".
         "Crap! We've got a big problem!" Bobby yelled and took out another magazine. He shot down one of O'Riley's followers, but a molotov was thrown and hit the bus, bursting into flames. It burned his leg and he screamed in sheer pain. Isaac pulled him back and fired his assault rifle, reloading afterwards.
         The bus drove straight through the devastated town of Jefferson. No one was left alive after the massive destruction that swept it the day before. Nearly all the buildings were burnt to the ground and the roads were cluttered with ash, debris and cars. It took all of Jeff's driving skills to not crash into everything.
         All of the children shrieked in fear, they were all frightened at everything that was going on around them. They all were. Isaac didn't feel like he wanted to go on. It was all too much for him to handle, but something inside him told him to keep going. Small, it may have been, but he listened. He grabbed a grenade, opened the the shot out back door of the bus and stood in the doorway.
         "Isaac!" Kayla screamed in concern, but nothing could dissuade him.
         He jumped onto out of the bus, and his chest met with the trucks' windshield. With the truck swerving, he about fell off, but he clung to the truck's windshield wipers and pulled himself up with what strength he had left. He smashed into the windshield and punched the driver. The passenger tried to shoot him, but it was no use trying to kill a lunatic boy with an instinct to save his friends, when you were even worse. Isaac punched him and grabbed the steering wheel, making the truck swirl in circles.
         In the bus, tears formed in Kayla's eyes and she yelled for Jeff to stop the bus. He didn't though, knowing there was nothing he could do. In his mind, he really didn't care, but he kept it to himself, and sped up passed Jefferson's borders. As they drove away, they saw the truck burst  into flames, as a deafening blast echoed in the air.
         When they reached Dawn's Hope, the found Adam fixing up a barricade on the highway. The bus was allowed to move passed and they parked up near the high school. Kayla helped her brother and the rest of the children out, and then she looked around. It was a larger town than hers, but she knew she would get used to it. All that day was spent getting the new survivors comfortable and getting the new weapons distributed or put up.
         Kayla took Fig and they went to


         
         
         
         
© Copyright 2008 Aerandir (aerandir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1408499-Dawn-Part-2