*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1408502-Night-of-Incomprehensible-Proceedings-1
by *hal
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1408502
My first short story ever. It was for school.#1shortstory
         I was getting ready for the night when I heard him call to me,
         "Sara." he said. 
His voice sent a shiver down my spine.  I was startled, but not enough to think more of it.  So I went back to trying to brush the knots out of my hair and finish getting ready for prom.  Then the phone rang and interrupted my thoughts of the night ahead.  I was tempted to ignore the annoying sound of ringing resounding throughout the house, but I changed my mind and answered it anyway.
         "Hi." I said.
         "Hey, Sara," Jenna replied.  "Are you almost ready?"
         "Yeah...right...almost..."
         "So you will be picked up in 45 minutes, around 10:30, be ready to go, okay?"
         "That's fine, I'll be ready." I answered.
         "Good...Sara, you will have a good time, I promise."  She reassured me.  *Click* the phone went dead.
I continued to get ready, which took less time than I thought it would.  When I was done I had 10 minutes to spare, so I curled up in my favorite chair and reached for the remote, as I did I heard a knock on the door.  I opened the door to find a wonderfully handsome, tall, young man, with blue eyes and dark hair, standing on my doorstep with a red rose in his hand.
         "Hi, Sara." he said as he handed me the rose.
         "Hi Zack, thanks!" I replied.  It seemed like a dream.  I couldn't believe he was actually here.
         "Are you ready to go?" he asked.
         "Go...where?"
         "Prom of course!" he replied.  He must have noticed how puzzled I looked because he started to explain.
         "Sara, I know you like me...so I decided to surprise you and take you to prom with me.  I asked Jenna about it and she agreed to help me."
         It had to be too good to be true.  This was what I had always dreamed of.  Hey why not? I thought. Jenna said I would have a good time so she must have meant this.  Wow, I can't...
         "Sara, are you coming or what?"
         "Oh, right, yeah definitely!"  I answered. 
I climbed into the passenger seat of his fiery orange ‘eclipse' and we drove off into the night.  As we pulled onto the street where our school was, he slowed down to a stop, although the school was much farther down the road.  It was silent.  He stared down the street for awhile and then looked at me.
         "Come on, let's go." he said.  He could tell I was hesitant. "I want to show you something."  After a little more encouraging he finally got me to come.  It was a dark clear night, but the stars were impossible to see.  In this part of Washington, there are too many trees that make it impossible to see the night sky.  I can honestly say that I had never seen the stars where I lived.
         "Where are we going?"  I asked.
         "Some where special, we'll be there soon."
         "Okay."  I replied.  We pressed on through the pitch black forest.  Moments later we stumbled out of the forest.
         But that's not even possible; the forest goes on for nearly forever.  I thought.  We were in a clearing where the sky could be seen, it was pure coal black with diamond stars placed in the perfect spots, glistening.  We looked at the marvelous sky for awhile.
"What do you think?" he asked.
I was completely speechless.  It was absolutely amazing.
         This can't be Washington. I thought.
         I looked around, I was right; this was most definitely not Washington.  I turned to where he had been, to answer him.
         "Zack..." I said, but he wasn't there.
          I sat up then stood up.
This wasn't good. I am most definitely not having a good time right now.
         "Sara! There you are!" a hushed voice called, "Are you okay?"
         "Zack?" I called into the darkness.
         "Yeah, it's me." he replied as he approached me.
         "Where are we?"
         "I have no idea, I'm glad you're okay though." he said and then kissed me on the check. 
         Even though it took up a second, it was wonderful; it imprinted a vivid memory on my face.  I pulled him towards me and found his lips, imprinting a memory for him, allowing us to forget our problems momentarily.  After pulling away, we both realized that we were somewhere in a meadow, somewhere, but where?
         "Sara, I know where we are." he said suddenly.
         "Where?"
         "England."
         "What?! How do you know?" I asked.
         "The sign over there," he pointed, "says ‘Welcome to England'...I didn't know they had ‘Welcome to signs' in England." he said.
         "Why are we here? ...How?"
         "How am I supposed to know." he said.
         I ignored his comment and kept walking on the path toward what looked like a village.  While I was looking around, I ran into someone, actually he ran into me.
         "Hello! Pardon me. Sorry I've got to..."
         "Sam!?!" a voice called.
         "Oh no!  Here she comes!" he said.
         "Who's she?"  As soon as I asked the question, I was in his arms being kissed as a mad, young woman, about my age, came running toward us.
         "Sam!" she screamed, as I attempted to free myself from his strong grasp, "you awful hideous boy! You have absolutely humiliated me in front of all my friends at the dance and now," she was crying at this point, "now this! Goodbye! I want nothing to do with you!" she          said between sobs and then ran off.
         That was when his grasp finally loosened and his kiss was less forceful and then completely non-existent.
         "I'm terribly...sorry," he stammered, "she was really mad and you were there so..."
         "Why was she mad anyways?"
         "It's a long story that involves a dance, me breaking up with her, a vase being thrown at me, running into you, and kissing a stranger."
         I burst out into laughter.
         "That's a very eventful night." I said.
         "I guess it was and the only part I really enjoyed was the last part."
         "I think I could say the same." I replied.
         "Really?" he asked, "I thought you would laugh at me again."
He gestured toward a bench along the path near a street light.  We sat down and stared silently at each other.  He wasn't as nice looking as Zack, but he still looked pretty good.  He had sandy hair that was partially curly and hazel eyes, the outsides were brown with green bursts near the pupils.  He was tall and skinny.  I allowed my thoughts to wander as I stared and he stared back.  It wasn't an uncomfortable stare, but a welcoming one.  His voice finally snapped my thoughts back to reality.
"What is your name?" he asked.
"My name is Sara."
"That's a nice name," he said. He was staring at me again, at my eyes.  "I like you." he continued suddenly.
"Thanks," I said, "I like you too?"
"It's kind of weird," he said, "because I really don't know you, but I know that I like you."
"Yeah, I know." I said as he enveloped me in an embrace and we kissed passionately.
"Sara..." he said, after we stopped for a moment.  In that instant my blood went cold, it was the voice, that voice; his voice was the one I had heard earlier that night.  I was unsure whether I should be afraid or excited.  His voice soft and comforting, harsh and firm, friendly and cruel, all at the same time, called to me.
He must have noticed that I had gone pale, I realized, when he asked,
"Are you alright?"
"I don't know." I said.
I could tell he didn't understand, even though some how I felt that he should since he was the one I was unsure about.
         "Who are you?" I asked abruptly.
Still confused he answered, "I told you, I'm Sam."
"Yes, I got your name, but who are you really and how do you know me?"
"You won't believe me, but since you are so persistent I'll tell you anyway.  I am Sam as you know; I am to be married to you tonight."
"What!?" I screamed.
"I told you that you wouldn't believe me.  Oh and to make it more interesting we apparently have some bond that was formed before you left.  That's how you heard my voice earlier, I wanted to see if it worked, even though I was told not to, and that is what caused you to come here."
"I don't understand!  Left? I left!  So I was here before?  Marry you, tonight?"
"Yes and yes, your family moved, and the rest doesn't matter yet!  You'll find out soon enough."
"Find out what?"  My head was spinning as all this information was being dumped on me. 
All of a sudden a rush of voices was thrown in my face, "Will you marry me?" they both said at the same time.
I realized the questions as well as the people that were asking it in the same instant.  The two people I had just met had just asked me to marry them.  I had to think, but I didn't have time to think.  I wish just for a moment I could've stopped time so I could've decided what I wanted.
"Yes." I said.
"Yes to whom?" they replied.
"I don't know yet." I stood up and sat back down thinking.
What do I want?
I had to pick, I could feel it inside, and I knew I had to do it, but which one?  Zack was wonderful, anything a girl would want, the man of any girls dream.  Sam was simple, but he seemed to have an unspoken promise, and he seemed perfect too, in a different way.  It was so hard; somehow I knew I loved them both in their own way.
"Sam, I choose Sam." I said, actually my heart said it, but my head was still undecided.  I hadn't realized what I had said until his lips met mine again and pressed into mine passionately.
"Thank you so much Sara, you won't be sorry, I'll explain everything, I promised." he said.
I was whisked away before I could even explain myself, but even if I had had the chance I don't know what I would've said because I didn't even really know myself.  Where we went, how we got there, and the time that passed was a blur, not only because it involved a lot of kissing, but a lot of explanations.
"When you were a baby your family decided to move and live a normal life, but our bond that we were given when we were young, remained and so did the promise, that was unspoken to you, between us also remained." he said, "We are here and that is all you need to know now." 
As we walked in I realized what was truly taking place.
"Stop!" I said, as I grabbed his arm, "I'm getting married! What about the dress, the cake, the plans, the invitations...everything!"
"Follow me." he replied, as if it was an answer, and he led me by the hand into what looked like and enormous ball room.
I looked around and saw my friends, family, and people I didn't even know.  I glanced down enough to notice my dress was different.  It had become a cream colored dress that sparkled, even in the dim light.  Everything was perfect, just as I had dreamed it could be.  He was perfect, even though I hadn't really noticed it before.  Time was taken away from us quickly and the ceremony had to begin.  I walked on the floor, carpeted with petals, toward him and the amazing way he gave me completeness. 
Our eyes met and stayed there through the whole ceremony until I unconsciously said "I do." and our lips met again for what seemed like forever. 
Then we were pronounced, "Husband and wife, prince and princess."
The last part caught me off guard, "Prince and princess!?!" I thought and said in the same moment.
"That's the part I have to explain..." he said, "later."
"No!" I stated quite loudly, in front of everyone, "I want to know NOW!"
Just then the doors in the back burst open and Zack ran down the asle.  It happened so fast I wasn't quite sure what was going on.  He came up the steps where we were standing; he was on some sort of mission.
I heard metal scraping against metal as Sam pulled out his sword and then pushed me aside.  They fought as I screamed for them to stop, but Sam couldn't defend himself against the strong blows for long. 
All of a sudden there was dead silence.  Sam fell on his knees as blood poured out of his chest, from where Zack had stabbed him.
"I'm sorry, Sara!" he cried, "I love you and I will always be your prince."
Those were the last words he cried before he fell, dead, at my feet, looking up at me with an already pale face and unblinking, glazed-over eyes.
© Copyright 2008 *hal (heathbar72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1408502-Night-of-Incomprehensible-Proceedings-1