*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1409814-Trapped-in-a-wall
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1409814
1st short story! About a woman sent to rescue her friends...
Rough landscapes and a sulphur smell was all that she could see and smell for miles around.
The hill was steep and jagged.
Her feet hurt on every uneven rock she stumbled on.
But she needed to go on to help them,
They were counting on her.
Suddenly she noticed a glittering object on the path in front of her.
It was a key.
A long, thin silver key.
She reached out and placed the key in her pocket.
It might come into use later.


She carried on walking, a lake was in her way.
But there was a bridge.
But as she crossed the bridge, the journey to the other side got longer and longer.
Sometimes the water looked as if you could walk upon its surface.
But she never stopped till she got to the end of the bridge.
On the other side was a small silver tree, it was unlike any other tree in the area.
Its glistening silver branches had no leaves or blossoms on, but she was entranced by it.
But it was getting late, if she didn’t reach the end soon she never would.


She reached a curved bend, but just as she was going round a ghastly white figure appeared before her eyes.
It was a ghost.
The ghost spoke in a raspy high pitched voice, “Do not go this way, you don’t want to, or else!”
Chanted the figure.
She anxiously looked at the figure.
The ghost looked like…….
It couldn’t be!
But she knew she had no time to question further, as she sped round the corner.
She spotted a small desolate, crumbled cottage in the corner of her eye.


Curious, she crept over the crumbled remains of a gate and supiously peered through the clouded window.
A strange looking lady was dancing round a fire in the wreck of the sitting room.
Suddenly she jumped into the fire and a thin lizard like creature crawled out of the ruby red flames.
She quickly ran from the window of the cottage and further up the path.


She cautiously walked on until she came to a strange group of statues in a crowd.
When she looked closer their faces were in a fixed scream.
Desperate to escape she ran straight through the statues and sent them crashing and crumbling to the floor.
As she ran further still, she suddenly came to a stop.
There, right in front of her was the most beautiful garden with lots of delicious fruit growing wild and fresh.
She grabbed a blood red apple and just as she was about to take a bite the beautiful garden disappeared and she was left holding a putrid, mouldy apple.
She threw the apple up into the sky.


Finally, she glanced what she needed and rushed towards the end of the path.
It was a wall.
An old, grey moss covered wall.
As she stepped closer to see what was behind it, a piercing, ringing sound filled her ears.
Her heart was filled with shock and disappointment as she realised that this was the end.
Her journey had been pointless!
She couldn’t go back, because she was dead, as she looked through the wall she could see all the bad and good things happening to people, but she couldn’t prevent them or encourage them.
Her name was Hera, named after the Greek goddess.
She was journeying to this wall, to retrieve a brick from the wall, so that she could help her village, as they had come down with a plague.
But none of that mattered now and the ghosts’ warning was a message from the future, herself warning herself.
Hera was dead, and her village had been attacked and taken over as they were too weak to fight.

She had failed.
All she had left were her thoughts and visions, living in darkness, trapped in a wall.







© Copyright 2008 redfairie3 (writingforluck at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1409814-Trapped-in-a-wall