*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1410746-The-Conch-Revision-1
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1410746
A short, mildly cynical piece I'm playing with contrasting faith with fact. (Sort of.)
REVISION 1: (Tried to consider what could be inferred - instead of stated.)

I found a conch shell washed up on the beach. I picked it up and turned it over in my hands. It was pearl-white on the outside and satin-peach on the inside. I tried to imagine how many waves must have moved it across the grit of the sand to have it end up in my hands so smooth and worn and polished.

I remembered the first time I had held a shell like this one. Granddad had placed it in my hands and said,
"This here is a magic shell, Granddaughter. Hold it to your ear. Can you hear the ocean inside?".

Feeling suddenly nostalgic, I lifted the conch to my ear. Sure enough, there it was, the gentle whir and hum of the ocean's waves. Indeed, my grandfather had been right. These shells were magic.

I arrived home thirsty from the salt air. I opened the kitchen cupboard and took out a water glass. Without reason or intent, I lifted it to my ear . There in the $1.69 Costco water glass, I again heard the sound of ocean waves. I filled my glass with water and sat down for a cigarette. I had, at least, found a new ashtray.



ORIGINAL:
I found a shell washed up on the beach. I picked it up and turned in over in my hands admiring it's beauty. It was pearl-white on the outside and a satin-peach on the inside. I tried to imagine how many waves must have moved it across the grit of the sand to have it end up in my hands so smooth and worn and polished.

I remembered the first time I held a shell like this one. My grandfather had placed it in my hands and said,
"Granddaughter, this is a special shell, a magic shell. Hold it to your ear. Can you hear the ocean inside?".

In an effort to relive my childhood moment, I lifted my new shell to my ear. There it was, the gentle whir and hum of the ocean's waves. Indeed, these shells were magic.

I arrived home thirsty from the salt air. I opened the cupboard and took out a water glass. Without reason or intent, I lifted the glass to my ear . There in the $1.69 Costco water glass I again heard the ocean. The magic was gone. I filled my glass with water and sat down for a cigarette. I had, at least, found a new ashtray.
© Copyright 2008 Willa St. John (missgreer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1410746-The-Conch-Revision-1