*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1413481-Simplicity
by Nacho
Rated: · Other · Other · #1413481
another rant of mine
A big pile of dirt. With stones thrown in, along side some bushes and critters. We call this a mountain. Simple dirt, stones, bushes; this makes a mountain. It's hard to get over but its still a simple pile of dirt. "It's hard to get over so I wont go over". Another simple idea.
Why is it so hard to grasp?
Once I conceived the idea that Chile was a conservative society, because the Andes prevented people to bring their foreign ideas into the country. As a result it was unnecessary to change, they could remain as they were. Of course this is a principal characteristic of conservatism, leaving things as they are.

'I am amazed at the fact Chile has so much history of female abuse, while in Argentina to hit a woman is considered a sacrilege!' said my spanish teacher, an Argentinean herself. I found this a golden opportunity to expose my hypothesis, i mentioned that because of the Andes, Chile remained as it was, a misogynist Spanish society, like in the days of the Conquistadores. Complete silence ensued.
'So ha you think that a simple pile of dirt, ha, influenced a whole country. Ha. Ha'

Infuriating, infuriating the feeling of being mocked by someone you hold absolutely no respect for. Infuriating also the arrogance of the teacher. But after many hours of silently wishing death upon my teacher, my mind was at ease. I accepted my idea was rubbish, after the Andes are a pile of dirt, and a Chile is a country. And just as a stormy sea reveals new caves along the beach, I encountered an inflaming thought. Have we humans created the myth that only grand historical events affect us? Do we only believe humans are the only actors in the play of humanity? I believe this, that the Crusades affect more ourselves than the weather of our country. It is as if we have completely mastered our environment, so much so it cant affect us anymore. We as humans are untouchable! We control the direction of rivers, we can destroy entire mountains and we can annihilate any creature that dare rise against us!

I commented this to my friend Ignacio. I told him how grand men are, our infinite capacity of resistance, our amazing dexterity with materials and also our insurmountable creativity to master our environment. I told him the only thing that makes our planet shine, is men. I told him we are the torch of the Universe. He looked away into the distance. He just said:

"There would be no light without the sun."



© Copyright 2008 Nacho (ignacio at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1413481-Simplicity