*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1414086-Chapter-1-My-Innocent-Year
Rated: E · Chapter · Animal · #1414086
The intro of the main character's (Tali) life.
Chapter 1

"Tali Clariska Demones! Go to your room, we will have this talk later!" screamed my mom. You could easily tell that she wasn't in a good mood. "And don't leave there unless I tell you to. Oh, and by the way, you are going to be so punished if I see that you aren't up there." I usually sneak out from my room when I get a time out.
I am so dead. But that word didn't scare me anymore. Most of my life I have heard that word all the time around my family. Well, technically, when my parents got mad at someone, usually me or my sibling Debra (Deba); the victim is usually dead meat for the next couple of days or so. In my family, I was the only one who was adopted from China. My other nine siblings whose names are: Joella Nurit, Afra Ahava, Elora Devorit, Dina Penina, Debralee Delilah, Elazar Abram, Ranon Ranit, Geremia Ammitai, Joziah Shet weren't. But I wasn't a good fit. My family was Jewish. And most of the time it followed Jewish traditions and laws, but they aren't orthodox. That means that I can't do things I want to do. Like horseback riding. My favorite sibling that I'm really close to is named Debralee Delilah Demone. She is also thirteen years old and just as adventurous as I and also is graduating from middle school.
My mom never was fond of animals. According to a legend called The Legend about the Demones, a long time ago a family member was killed by an angry monster in front of my mom's eyes. But I still wonder what that monster is. Now my mom is seriously afraid of animals so she doesn't have them in the house. Also, our family is cursed if there is a pet in the house. Well, that's because of The Legend. That's what our parents said to us, and they raised us to believed that animals are filthy, horrible creatures, which totally isn't true and annoys me. The Legend also states that it might happen again in two-thousand, one-hundred, twenty-eight years. I don't know why it's that number, but that's what my mom said to me. But whatever happened in The Legend isn't true, everybody; knows that. The Legend said that this tragedy was believed to be said in nineteen-eighty. It happened like this:
Long time ago, in nineteen-eighty when my mom was a young girl, there lived a
family consisting of six kids and a mom and dad.
The family was Jewish, so every Friday at sunset and Saturday they had a tradition to not
use electricity over the Sabbath. And it was on one Saturday when a big monster came to their house.
No one knew about it, so they expected everything
to be normal. But from that day until the next week when the monster killed a family
member there was awkward silence by the animals, and people that lived
around the doomed family. The family knew nothing of what would
happen to them, all they were asking themselves about was why everything
was quiet. The week passed, and in the middle of the week it
was mother's 10th birthday. Next year she would be in 5th grade where she would
graduate to go to middle school. Her school was called Old City's
Elementary School in Old City. It was one of those fancy schools, what are they called?
Ahh, they are called private school. On Wednesday (on her birthday) it started to get
chilly unexpectedly. That was the wind that the monster was making
by blowing really hard, and it freaked people out. But people had still come to
mother's birthday party. Nothing was special about Thursday and Friday. On Saturday however,
in the morning someone knocked at the door. It was the monster. The monster
was a brown looking creature. When it stood up on two legs, it was about ten feet
tall and it could of weighed half a ton. Of course, mother's older brother, Tony came to the door
and opened it. He got eaten straight away, and then the monster ran away to the forest and
never came back. When he did, objects shattered to pieces, cows ran to their shelter scared
and terrified. Mother saw all this and cried about her brother's death.
From then on, our family believed that this story, which they called
The Legend, might happen again, so they counted how many years this generation was
and it said that this generation was two-thousand, one-hundred, twenty-eight years.
So we said, that it might happen again in that amount of years.

My mom is a tall woman. Her name is Candace Naomi Demone. Mom is thirty-nine years old, which is kind of young once you think about it. She had an arranged marriage at age twenty. She is really skinny and has smooth, soft skin. She has loads of energy, which is really good for a housewife. She stays at home and does all the chores and also is helped by girls of the family after we get home from school and do our homework. Mom's personality varies each day. She can be nice all day and ask questions about our day so far. Or, she can be grumpy all day. On those days, you'd better watch out. Her smooth face shows us what's her personality is going to be that day. Mom always is cautious of what she is carrying. She can be carrying a crappy dish that no one likes to use. Maybe because she is still in shock of what she saw during The Legend that she doesn't want to see something breaking.
As I go to my room, which is shared with my younger sister, Dina, I climb up the tall stairs. From the tall stairs, I can see a part of the big living room and part of the kitchen (which is also the dining room). In between the living room and kitchen, there is a long hallway. As I get up to the stairs, I turn right toward my room door and stop. I took a deep breath and a look around. The hallway was dark, but I knew what it looked like in my head. I still turned on the lights because when I would get to my room I would see things in a blur. When the lights turned on, I looked around again. On my right there are doors of my other siblings' rooms lined up like hotel rooms. On my left there are framed pictures of my ancestors, shaped like a family tree. Even my picture is on the wall which amazes me because I didn't consider myself part of the family.
As I passed, I passed through three rooms. I passed through Joella and Afra's room, Elora and Debra's room, and lastly, Elazar Abram and Ranon rooms. Geremia and Joziah's are next to Dina's and mine on the side. Mom and Dad's are upstairs where it can be divided by two, so it's like a master bedroom. Finally, I got to my room and slammed the door. As I did, I turned the light off at the hallways. Then turned on the light in my room and looked out the window to see my favorite animals.
© Copyright 2008 Rosa Shay (rosashayhorses at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1414086-Chapter-1-My-Innocent-Year