*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1415806-Morning-coffee-and-Cigarettes
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Philosophy · #1415806
Short, thoughtful muse upon the inner workings of society and our place in it.
Morning Coffee and Cigarettes

We look around us. We see life. We see society. We see the unmistakeable chaos of normality. The unstoppable migration of the masses. Passing us by, day in, day out. We see skyscrapers. Bridges. Newspapers. Propaganda. People. Mobile phones infest us. Machines. Communications. To be without technology is to be incomplete. Fuel. Power. Identity. Content. Money. Look. But don't touch. Around us are nobodies. White collared nobodies. There are no individuals in this society. Just overworked, underpaid members of the same economic fungus, financing those Outside. Parasites. Flies. Of course, people want out. They all do. But they can't. They try.

But morning coffee and cigarettes always draws them back in. Into the depthless whirlpool of Normality. The cycle of life continues. Morning coffee and cigarettes. Building up. They keep us going. Day in. Day out. Health warnings. Restrictions. Rules. Regulations. The three Rs. Licences. Is there no space? Outside holds Inside. Inside holds nothing. Control. Outside. No shifts. No sales. No Morning coffee and cigarettes. No rules. They don't care. They never will. We stand. They sit. We shout. They talk. We work. They live. End. And when it's over, what then? We go. Another comes. The cycle continues. Some go forever. Some find a way out. Some live. Some die. Some stay. Some fight. What would you do? Look now. As I welcome you to my world.
© Copyright 2008 WilsonCarter (wilsoncarter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1415806-Morning-coffee-and-Cigarettes