*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1415841-Lessons-of-Unconditional-Love
Rated: E · Draft · Emotional · #1415841
This is an excerpt from a work in progress. I welcome all comments. Thanks!
Dust filled the air and swirled about like hungry mosquitoes on a sweltering night as Mark climbed into his old truck straight from the tractor he had just parked.  Sweat poured from his lean body where the hanging sun had driven the temperature to almost unbearable levels while he prepared the soil for the summer planting.  The broken air conditioning was just one more thing to do and the list seemed to double in size daily.  He'd have to worry about that list another time because he was running late for a date he couldn't miss with Sissy, his 5 year old blonde haired, blue eyed little girl.  Her spring dance recital was being held at the church they attended, and she made him promise that he'd be there to watch her.  He never missed any of the activities his children were involved in, but she made him promise her anyway as he dropped her off that morning.  "Remember daddy, tonight's the night!" she reminded him as she jumped out of the truck.  "I'll be there honey, I promise!"  He had laughed as he watched her run through the open doors of the school dragging a book bag as big as she was.

Lately it was getting more and more difficult to make all the children's activities.  Farming was a sun up to sun down job as it was and now he had to care for four kids all by himself.  Coming home and finding a note from his wife telling him she didn't love him anymore had turned his world upside down.  Mark told himself he would have to feel sorry for himself another time, it was getting late and his daughter was waiting for him.

Mothers were lining up their girls, taking pictures, and chatting about their plans for summer vacation when he pulled to a stop in front of the church.  The men stood off to the side comparing golf scores and pretending not to notice him as he stepped onto the curb from his truck.  He knew the whole town looked down on his family, but he had learned to ignore their stares and whispers, preferring instead to concentrate on his children and make sure they were growing up healthy and happy. 

"Daddy!" Sissy yelled as he walked into her classroom.  "You made it on time!" she said through her toothless smile.  Running to hug him she stopped short declaring "Daddy, you're wet and dirty!"  Mark smiled at his pride and joy.  Her ringlets and curly hair flowed over her face in such a way she looked just like Shirley Temple.  "Yes Sissy, I'm wet and dirty again.  I just got out of the field and didn't have time to go home and shower."  "That's okay daddy.  Just don't get me dirty okay?" she admonished him in a grown up voice.  Mark grinned at her and teased "I can give you a kiss if you want one..."  Sissy beamed and offered up her smooth cheek for him to plant one on her. 

Of all of his children, Sissy seemed to have taken her mother's leaving their family the hardest.  She was a little girl that needed a lot of affection and now she needed more reassurance than ever that her daddy wouldn't leave, too.  Mark tried to let all of his kids know he would be there for them no matter what and that things would be okay, praying daily that it was a promise he would be able to keep.  Right now, though, the kiss was what she needed and she giggled and wiped her cheek with the back of her small hand.  "Daddy's going to go get a seat, okay?  Do you have all you need for your performance?" he asked.  With an impatient roll of her eyes, she said, "YES DADDY!  I am a big girl you know!!"  He smiled and assured her he knew and slid out the door to go grab a seat.  He braced himself for the grandparent or two always saving a row of seats for some long lost aunt or uncle and vowed not tonight.  Tonight he would stand up for himself instead of getting shuffled to the back where he could barely see.  No one would tell him where he couldn't sit tonight, no matter who it was.

© Copyright 2008 MrBlueEyes (mrblueeyes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1415841-Lessons-of-Unconditional-Love