*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1417860-The-Letters
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1417860
Melissa was worried how Terrence would react when he found the letter's.
The letter's I'd been hiding from my husband Terence were in clear view on the ruffled doona. I hadn't read them in a long time. But there Terrence sat in his rocker with one particular letter clenched in his rough weathered palm.

Twenty years we'd been married and it has come to pain and mistrust. I watched him slumped over the arm of the rocker. He looked peaceful in his stripped pjs and his comfy slip on slippers. His glasses slipped down off his face.

I wonder what he was thinking. That letter must have unnerved him. I tiptoed to the door and grabbed my satin robe. I wouldn't want to wake him. His suspicious mind and jealously were intimidating at times. Now -the letters. I'm not sure how his going to react now.

Terrence scrubbed up well. He was debonair in his double breasted suit, in a photo of us together at our wedding. Mother was always telling me how charming he was. Dad was quite the opposite. He would say ‘Why does Terrence have to work such late hours. You could do better A man must know his place is with his family.' At first I didn't let it get to me. Years later I somehow worried that Dad could be on to something.

I followed him to a run down building on the outskirts of town where I saw for the first glimpse of my life being planned out for me. My husband who promised to cherish me to death do us part was cheating on me with his secretary. From then on I vowed to keep my emotions intact. I also couldn't let him know what I had witnessed for fear of what he might say or do.

The silence was interrupted by the shrilling sound of the telephone. ‘Hello who's this?' I asked. ‘This is Melanie Gardner, Terrence's secretary. You must be Melissa - his always talking about you,' she giggled.
‘Yes how may I help you?' I asked gritting back my wrath.

‘Well he hasn't come in yet. His investors are waiting anxiously on a meeting he had set up with them.'
My head felt like it was going to explode when I heard her girly syrupy voice.
He isn't coming in today. His had a sleeping pill last night. His had trouble sleeping, so his Investors will have to wait. Terrence will call in later to appoint another meeting' I sullenly said.
‘Nothing wrong I hope?' she went on.
‘NO what could be possibly wrong?' I retorted- slamming the phone down.

I went back to looking at Terrence. Strands of his dark hair were hinting at signs of graying. He was always worried about ageing. He couldn't decide on whether to grow old gracefully or to start dying his hair .He decided to take the latter option. Now looking at him, he looks like his due for a touch up .Maybe he was going through a mid life crises. So he took up with that skank. If karma has a lot to do with it she'll get her just deserts.

You had the gore to accuse me of cheating with Robert Holden. Texting me - I thought was the lowest form of contact. It's not the words you phrased to me that wounded me. . Making me feel gutted was not how I wanted to feel. I'm not the cold hearted bitch you portrayed me to your egotistical friends. Everyone has a past, but I'm not like that now.
Suddenly there was an urgent tapping sound at the front door.
I must excuse myself dear. It looks like we've got company. I'll just let you rest for a while longer- shall I? I won't be too long.

I couldn't believe who was at the door. It was her- she just looked like she had just jumped of the cover of a magazine.

‘Hello, you must be Terrence's missus?' Melanie asked smiling.
Without letting on that I knew who she was, I asked ‘and who might you be?'
‘Oh sorry- silly me, I'm Melanie- Terrence's secretary.'

‘I thought I explained to you that Terrence wasn't coming in today.'

‘Yes I know, but the investors wouldn't see reason. So his got until later on this-afternoon to come into the office for that meeting -or else they'll cancel his contract.'

I looked at the big wall clock on the wall. It had just struck 8 AM. I looked back at her.

You might as well come in for a cupper. What's your poison?' I asked.

Melanie looked alarmed. ‘What do you mean by that?' she asked.

‘It's just an expression Melanie. I meant -do you want coffee or tea. That's all'

‘You're awful Melissa, she giggled. Yes I will have tea thank you.'

‘I'll just see if Terrence will go see the investors later on. I know he won't be too happy about the situation. I'll also get that tea for you.'

‘Thanks Mel. You're a pal. That rhymes,' she giggled.

With a shake of my head I walked back to check on Terrence.

Still asleep I see. Our guest is still here. You know who she is don't you?
She says you need to go back into the office. Your investors say they'll cancel your contract if you don't. I'll let you sleep on that. I'm just going to get Melanie a nice cup of tea-just like I got you earlier on. You drank some, but not all of it while you were reading them letters. Wasn't the brew to your liking? Did it leave a foul taste in your mouth? Now I'll have to get back to our guest with her tea.

‘He'll be up soon Melanie. I'll get you your poison now. I meant your tea remember,' I giggled












© Copyright 2008 magpies (jules1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1417860-The-Letters