*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1419456-Why-did-I-listen
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #1419456
A girl eavesdrops and gets into some trouble for it
Staring through the crack in the door I smiled, the Petersons always were an interesting pair to listen to, they had the most interesting fights and this one was no different. "Well if you had strapped it down like you were supposed to we wouldn't be in this mess right now would we." She yelled at him from the couch and I could see the glare of hatred in her eyes.

He was glaring right back and yelling as well, "you stupid bitch the real problem isn't that I didn't strap it down, it's that YOU didn't lock the trunk." Mrs. Peterson rolled her eyes at him and crossed the room to a table in the corner. Grabbing a glass she poured an amber colored liquid into it.

I saw Mr. Petersons smile as he watched you drink the liquid. His voice was more level this time as he said "honey in my eyes its your fault, we've been killing people together for a long time and this wasn't the first mistake, the cops will be on us by morning and your just baggage. I've decided were splitting up."
I clasped my hands over my mouth wishing I could get away from the conversation now but I was in the closet being the nosy person I was, my body shook as I continued to listen to the killers exchange.

"You Bastard" she said between clenched teeth before taking another big swallow of the drink in her hand, "you can't get rid of me that easily, we have a contract to finish and a marriage contract as well. What are you going to do kill me?"

The look on his face was sinister and his grin was evil as he said, "Why my dear wife that's exactly what I'm going to do." Her eyes widened as she clutched her stomach, his smile just grew as I saw her slump into the chair behind her clutching her stomach in pain, her eyes were watering and then she began to shake and convulse.

At this point I couldn't hold back the scream any more, the shriek rung through the air, and the door to the closet were I was hiding swung open an instant later. His grin grew as he saw me huddled in the corner. "Why if it isn't Mary from 6B, now what would you be doing breaking into my house and eavesdropping on my very private conversation with my now late wife?"

I stuttered out a non verbal answer. At my stuttering he replied "Hmm well we have a problem now because you have overheard a conversation you shouldn't have. I'm afraid you have two options, I can of course kill you, or you can help me to cover my wife's murder. Which would you choose dear Mary?"

I stared up at him from the back of his closet knowing I had no option, "just tell me what I can do Mr. Peterson." His smile got even bigger if that's possible. "All you need to do is forget you ever heard this fight and say Mrs. Peterson was depressed when you talked to her. Do you think you could do that?" My only answer was the nod of my head and surprisingly he let me walk out the door, though I felt like I had just signed my soul away.
© Copyright 2008 Kalina Shattered (emerald27 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1419456-Why-did-I-listen