*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1419832-In-Memory-of-Scorpio
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1419832
A story I wrote for English class, a princess' fairytale notion of love is challenged.
        I was not in love. I thought I was, I thought that mine was the most perfect and passionate love anyone had ever felt. But it was not. The feelings of infatuation and bliss were the result of a secret manipulation. Manipulation by a force whose only concern was to keeps things from changing; to keep the weak weak and the strong strong. And I was the perfect pawn.
         No more. My life is my own. Realism has replaced romanticism, strength has replaced dependency. I write this to enlighten, to move my kingdom forward. Some frown upon the new order, but the ones that I am changing it for are finally waking up. They allow it to empower them, as it has empowered me. I write this so that generations to come will never forget my story.
                                                          ~*~
         It was a cool clear October evening, the moon was full and the stars were shining their brightest. I was sitting out on my bedchamber balcony, enjoying the night and working on my embroidery. My young lady's maid, Jeanine, was playing the harp and singing a sweet, melancholy song about a dragon who fell in love with a maiden. I was feeling the kind of peace one feels when they are oblivious of the world and its deceptions. At sixteen years old I had dreams of a chivalrous and pure romancer, and thought that my father, history texts refer to him as King Marquain of Appalachia, was a perfect ruler. I was a docile princess, who was content to marry and work on embroidery while her husband ruled.
         A rap at the door interrupted my stitching. Jeanine got up and opened the door to find a small messenger boy. He was bent slightly and breathing hard, as if he had been running. Straightening his posture, he recited a rehearsed message. "His Majesty King Marquain of Appalachia requests the presence of his daughter Princess Alana of Appalachia in the southeast library immediately. He wishes her to discuss a matter with Prince Gabriel of Mastada." He held a skinny hand towards Jeanine when he finished. She smiled and gave a leftover cookie from my supper tray to the boy, who then ran off grinning.
         I caught my breath, in a state of elation. Prince Gabriel was here? Father had mentioned once or twice that he might like to see us married, but nothing concrete had yet developed. I clasped my hands. What if tonight was the night? I had never met him, but had been told by mother of his bravery in the Rhye Seas War and his kind disposition. He was only three years my senior- my cousin had the unfortunate fate of being married to a sixty year old king- and from what I had been told strikingly handsome. My mind held visions of a romance that I had only read of, visions of being swept of one's feet by a hero and love at first sight.
         I dashed to my vanity to inspect my appearance, wanting to make a perfect first impression. My deep blue eyes looked a little tired and my skin was paler than usual due to the cold breeze I had been stitching in. I applied a bit of rouge to my cheeks and rubbed balm on my eyes while calling for Jeanine to quickly do up my lengthy brown hair. I tied a crimson ribbon around my waist and grabbed a shawl before heading to the library.
          Jeanine smoothed my cream day dress and placed pins in my hair as we walked through the decorated halls; never ceasing her talk of how thrilling the night was turning. "It's all so romantic your majesty! Prince Gabriel's bravery and goodness are known throughout all Appalachia." Her hazel eyes sparkled. "I'm sure you and he will be in love for the rest of your lives!"
         I couldn't help smiling at her young excitement, though I must confess, her thoughts nearly mirrored my own. I was certain my daydreams were about to come to life.
         We reached the library quickly. Jeanine put one last pin in my hair before knocking on the door. It opened to reveal my father's sturdy figure, dressed in a riding outfit. Jeanine and I curtseyed deep, and then obeyed his motioning to enter the modest sized room. His face was beaming. "Alana," He said, smiling as he shut the door. "Your mother and I have something very important to tell you." He placed an arm around my mother's small frame, whose green eyes shone. He gestured towards a corner book case enveloped in shadows. "I would like to introduce you to Prince Gabriel."
         Gabriel came forward into the light. I caught my breath. There he stood, all six feet of him, his striking blue riding outfit complementing his piercing eyes and sandy blonde hair. Mother had not exaggerated on his good looks. A small smile graced the corners of his mouth as he bent to take my hand and kiss it. "A pleasure to meet you, your majesty." He straightened, raising his eyebrows and grinning slightly as he looked at me more closely. "Rumors of your beauty do not do you justice." Jeanine stifled a giggle. I blushed.
         "I am honored to meet a Rhye Seas War hero your majesty." I said, trying to keep my face from reflecting the overwhelming excitement I felt.
         Gabriel's smile widened. Father crossed over to us in two strides and put an arm around Gabriel's strong shoulders. "Gabriel, in these years I have known your family you have been like kin to me." He reached over and gently took my hand, drawing me towards Gabriel.  Father's eyes gleamed with satisfaction. "You are courageous and honorable, and when your father King Marco told me the Mastada throne was being given to your brother, everything came into place." He put my slender hand in Gabriel's strong one. "There is no other man I would trust my kingdom to. So in response to your earlier inquiry, you may have my daughter's hand in marriage."
         Jeanine let out an excited yelp, which she quickly ceased with a slightly embarrassed look on her face. I felt like doing the same. I gazed into my future husband's eyes, seeing all the happiness life had to offer. Love was no longer something I only found in books.
         Mother came over and embraced me and started gleefully going on about how perfect the match was. Father began informing Gabriel of all the preparations that needed to be made. The prominent thing in my mind however is the tender kiss Gabriel bestowed upon my cheek before I excused myself to retire. "I look forward to our future encounter Alana." He said, softly squeezing my hand and smiling. That kiss stirred emotions deep within my being. I managed to collect myself as I gave a ‘good night Gabriel' with a small nod before taking my leave. 
         For the rest of the evening, it was as if I was walking in a dream. I recall Jeanine struggling to ready me for bed as I floated in my idyllic utopia. I kept replaying Gabriel's kiss, demure as it may have been, over in my mind. I was certain that kiss held the promise of true love. Had I known then the true reason for that kiss, I would have strangled him. 
         I drifted off to sleep that night with a harmonious blending of peacefulness and anticipation in my spirit- unaware of the malevolent scheme that was about to immediately unfurl.
                                                    ~*~
         I was awoken by a sharp, freezing gust of wind. I tiredly called for Jeanine to close the balcony doors. No answer. I cracked open my eyes, immediately bolting upright after glancing at my surroundings. I was in a tiny stone walled room, the floor strewn with dirt and straw. There was a small wooden table and chair to the right of the rigid cot I had been laying in, which was covered with a stiff burlap blanket. The only light was let in by a crudely cut window in the opposite corner of the room. There was no door.
I started to breathe rapidly, overwhelmed with panic and confusion. "Jeanine!" I screamed. "Gabriel! Anyone!" I was answered by a chilling silence. On the verge of tears, I sprang up and raced over to the window, sticking my head out. My heart nearly ceased beating with what I found.
        My vision was filled with the immense, menacing form of an Ashen Mountain dragon hovering a few yards away, its glinting blood red scales and leathery black wings looking out of place in the early morning sunlight. Lengthy talons identified it as male, which was, from what Father had told me, the more cunning and cruel gender. His sharp black irises seemed to stare into my core.
        My heart now pounding, I glanced down to find that I was at the apex of a high tower, surrounded by a deep, broad moat with one modest draw bridge linking the tower to land. I noticed the base of the legendary Ashen Mountains just a few thousand feet to the left, meaning I was a five days journey from home. Bewilderment and despair entered my heart. I looked up at the dragon, who had not ceased staring into me. He suddenly flew at the window, snaking his long neck a few feet into the room and knocking me off my feet. I scooted back a few feet, not daring to stand. He bared his teeth. "I see the dress fits you." He said in a guttural voice. I confusedly looked down, only then noticing I was dressed in a brown peasant's dress, most likely made out of the same material as the cot blanket. I turned my attention back to the dragon. "What do you want with me?" I timidly asked, nearly crying. He let out a scornful laugh that caused me to quake, showing sharp rows of teeth. "I don't want anything to do with you." He moved his head so close I could feel his hot breath against my face. "I've been told that you're here until some hero rescues you or whatever." My intense perplexity was evident. He sighed and drew out of the window, moments later tossing a lumpy satchel into the room. "Forget it," Came the voice from outside. "I'll bring you more later. Can't have our prize Princess Alana dying from hunger before she gets rescued!" I heard wings flapping as he presumably flew towards the mountains.
        I sat frozen on a rough mound of straw. Silent tears began trickling down my face as I forced my breathing to slow, eyes wide and lip quivering. One moment Jeanine had sung me to sleep in my protected, plush castle, the next I was cowering under a dragon. I wiped hot tears of my cheeks. I just wanted to go home.
As my initial distress eventually quieted into a less severe fear, I suddenly felt the bitter air numbing my tender skin and overwhelming hunger swept over me. I drew my self up and wrapped the rough cot blanket around my body, shaking the contents of the satchel the dragon had left out on the table. Out fell a good-sized loaf of bread, a hunk of cheese, and a shoddily made but clean knife. True, peasant's back home ate better than what was before me, but I was too hungry to care. I collapsed into the chair and attacked the food. Mother would have frowned had she witnessed my lack of daintiness. Once the initial edge was taken off my hunger, I started to eat more slowly, questions beginning to rise in my mind. How had I gotten here? Was the dragon my captor or was he working for a higher power? His sarcastic words had given the impression that he was holding me begrudgingly. I chewed a piece of bread thoughtfully. Who would've kidnapped me, and why? The only plausible culprits I could think of were the rebellion group in Appalachia or soldiers from Capoc, Appalachia's adversary in the Rhye Seas War. The White Forest Rebels gang defiantly had a motive, but they did not have enough gold to bribe a dragon. As for Capoc, the treaty that came of the war had required them to severely cut their military forces, so it didn't seem likely they would waste the little soldiers they had on a revenge mission. I sighed. The predicament was impossible to construe. I tidied up the remnants of my meal, trying to gather strength to ask my questions when my jailer returned.
                                                        ~*~
        The dragon returned an hour before sunset. He pushed his head through the window powerfully, jolting me from my light nap on the cot. "Here's some more food, like I promised." He reached in and set a sack on the floor with one of his extensive arms. "There's a book in there as well, so you don't go crazy from boredom." He said, eyeing me with his soul-searching eyes. I squeaked out a ‘thank you' while keeping my eyes on the floor. His stabbing gaze was impossible to meet. He waited for a few more moments, studying me, then pulled his head out to leave.
        "Wait." I said, drawing on all the courage I held within. He jerked his head back in, just a few feet from my face. I jumped slightly, and then forced myself to look him in the eye. His stare was almost overpowering. "I have a few questions for you." I said shakily. The dragon only nodded. I averted my eyes for a moment. "What is going on? Why am I here? Who are you working for?"
He laughed slightly. "I thought you'd never ask." He drew his head closer, a quizzical look on his face. "Do you want the truth?" I could swear his expression softened a bit. "It might not be pleasant. You might be happier if you didn't know the real reason you are in my tower."
      Now I was more curious then ever. I looked up at him and nodded, eyes pleading. He raised his scaly eyebrows. "Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you." He paused a moment before going on. "Get up." I did so, moving a few steps away from the cot as he reached in and drew a hefty metal chest out from under it. He flipped open the lid with one talon, revealing a huge sum of gold coins. I gave him a puzzled look. "I had guessed earlier that you were being paid to keep me. What I want to know is who-"
        "Look at it more closely." He pressed. "Notice the letter on top of the coins?" I neared the chest and peered into it, seeing the small envelope he was referring to. I narrowed my eyes. What was that in the corner of the paper? It looked familiar. I picked up the envelope and examined it. I gasped. "I-is that," I asked of the dragon. "Is that my father's seal?" He nodded slowly.
"Read it." He instructed. I tore open the envelope and read the letter inside. What I found left me speechless.

To the dragon of the Ashen Base Tower,
         I am King Marquain of Appalachia. The man who gave you this letter is under my orders. He has with him a chest with five hundred gold pieces for you, as well as an unconscious girl. The gold is yours, if you keep the girl in your tower for two days. After two days, a man you may know as Prince Gabriel of Mastada will come to rescue her. You will act as if he has killed you, and then he will take the girl back to my castle.
         You will not refuse, or I will send a band of my finest soldiers to kill you. You need not ponder over the reason I am having you do this, just do it and the gold is yours. You are not to breathe a word of this to her. She will not trouble you in the slightest; she is meek and will not ask questions as long as she is confident that Gabriel will rescue her.  Do this as I have asked, and I will ask no more of you.
                                                                               Your King,
                                                                                         His Majesty Marquain of Appalachia

        I stood gaping. "Why?" I finally managed. The dragon shook his head.
        "I don't think you want to know." He said, a strange gentleness in his voice. I jerked my head up at him, tears clouding my vision.
      "Of course I want to know."
        He sighed, looking at me with intent. His expression was, dare I say, compassionate. He nodded towards the cot. "Sit down and I will try to explain."
I did so, still clutching the letter. He moved his head close and took a few more seconds before opening his mouth to elucidate.
        "You know of the Rhye Seas war?"
        "Of course."
        "Do you know why it was fought?"
        I cocked my head. "Well, it's all a bit confusing, but I believe Father told me it had something to do with Capoc becoming too much of a dangerous military power, and Appalachia and Mastada making sure that they didn't try to conquer the nations on the east side of the Rhye Seas as it had done with the west." The dragon grimaced and shook his head.
      "That may be what he told you, but that is not the truth." He stopped for a minute, as if struggling with what he had to say. "Capoc has always been more...progressive than the east Rhye Seas nations. They allow women to become high monks in the temples, they allow them too serve as province lords; there is even a woman on the King's council. King Marquain has frowned on these practices for years, believing a world run by women was destined to fail, but kept quiet because of the beneficial trade we received from them. But three years ago, just prior to the start of the war, Capoc was about to coronate their recently deceased king's daughter as ruler. That was the final straw. King Marquain, in his outrageous indignance, threatened to attack unless Capoc found a suitable male to coronate. Capoc obviously refused, King Marco of Mastada joined King Marquain's cause, and the rest is history." He stopped and looked at me to gauge my reaction.
I sat in silence, trying to process everything he had said. "How do you know all this?" I prodded.
      He gave the slightest grin. "Haven't you read anything about Ashen Mountain dragons?"
        Of course. The Ashen Mountains were the site of the now disbanded Ashen Monks, or "students of the souls". These monks dedicated their lives to connecting with the ‘earth soul', the collective consciousness of every living thing. They were aware of every thought and emotion that any organism experienced at any given time. These monks were drawn to the dragons native to the mountains and developed strong psychic bonds with them, as dragons are the wisest and most spiritual species. Even though the monks eventually either died or abandoned their lifestyles, the dragons retained the strong connection to the earth soul. I bit my lip. This dragon knew all about me. Every time he had gazed at me, he had tapped into my spirit.
        I furrowed my brow. "Okay, you've established that the Rhye Seas war was pig-headed, and you've started to make me look at my father in a new light, but what does any of that have to do with my being in this tower?"
        He faltered. I sighed. "Just tell me." I said exasperatingly. He nodded.
"Well, you are your father's only child, the only blood heir to his throne. You are also a woman." He paused once again. I rubbed my forehead, the pieces beginning to line up. Why hadn't I seen it before?
        "Let me see if I can work it out myself." I said. "My father had to find a man to take his throne because the only child his wife was able to have is female." I leaned back, eyes downcast. "And all Gabriel wants is a throne. He did fight in the ridiculous Rhye Seas war, so he obviously doesn't hold women in a very high regard." I wrapped my arms around my knees. My utopia was being torn down by an ugly reality.
        The dragon studied me with concern. "Alana, I'm sor-" I held up a hand to stop him.
      "You still haven't explained why I'm in this tower."
      He exhaled deeply, averting his eyes. For the first time since our encounter, he seemed uncomfortable.
      "Your father always knew that you had a right to the throne. The law states that the firstborn blood heir may claim the kingdom, regardless of gender." He let out a quiet laugh. "This is a fact abandoned by history texts, but Appalachia's second ruler, the one who helped write the constitution, was a woman." I raised my eyebrows. He smiled. "I know. Anyway, your father knew that if you were to make a claim to the throne, and he defied the constitution, the country would be in uproar." I nodded. Appalachians were notorious for being devout followers of the constitution, which many think was partly written by an Ashen monk. He continued. "The king formulated a plan," He closed his eyes and scoffed. "A ludicrous plan, to ensure that you would never challenge Gabriel as ruler of Appalachia." He stopped once again, peering into me. His eyes told me that he did not want to explain it fully, he thought I wouldn't be able to handle the truth. I leaned close to him, all of my original fear now eradicated.
        "Just tell me." I said. He gazed at me for a few more moments. What he said next shattered the perception of the world I had held dear my entire life.
        "The king thought that if you were indebted to Gabriel you would keep quiet about your natural right to the throne. He sent you to me so that Gabriel could rescue you, making you enthralled with him and in debt to him at the same time." He leaned closer. "He's using your emotions against you, making you dependent on this prince."
         An involuntary tear rolled down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away. "Does Gabriel know the full extent of this?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. He softened his tone, trying to make the final blow less painful.
         "Gabriel was the one who brought you to me."
         I leaned back against the stiff stone wall, shaking my head. So much for true love. I was simply the means to an end. I clenched my teeth. Horrible as it was, I wasn't as sad as one might expect from a former hopeless romantic. I was experiencing a strange, empowering emotion. I believe it is called...anger.
          "I should go." The dragon said, starting to exit. I sat up, suddenly remembering something.
         "Wait." He stopped. "How did they get me to sleep for two days while Gabriel was bringing me here?"
         "Captor's Kiss. It's an ancient Leaven Valley Griffon potion. One applies it to their lips then kisses someone on the left cheek to make them fall into a deep sleep for forty eight hours."
         I sighed deep. The irony slapped me in the face. The dragon's expression turned empathetic.
         "I'm sorry Alana." He said earnestly. With that he left.
         I spread out on the cot, laying in silence for a few moments. My bliss was gone. Honestly though, I didn't miss it too terribly. Something inside me was changing. The way the dragon had explained everything, as if he knew I was capable to handle the truth, made me feel like I was destined for more than embroidery. I smiled. It was odd how my prince was turning into a monster and my dragon was turning into my hero. He may have come on intimidating at first, but I could see genuine concern emanate while I was talking with the dragon. I guess the best souls don't always come in six foot figures with sandy blonde hair.
         Not yet feeling tired, I pulled out the book from the bag the dragon had left. I examined the cover. A book of poems. I settled back and opened to the first one, entitled "Scorpio". I started reading, a question rising in my mind the more I read. It was the lyrics to the song Jeanine had been singing the night Gabriel and I were betrothed. It was a sad tale of a dragon who fell in love with a maiden, but lost her to a knight. My eyes narrowed. The dragon was described as a mountain dragon with red scales and black wings. He was said to have ‘black eyes that could stab stone'. I flipped to the inside cover, a crazy inference forming in my head. The author was listed as "The Ashen Monks in an ode to their soul connections, the Ashen Mountain dragons".
         I closed the book and set it on the floor. So his name was Scorpio. I sat with a smile across my face, wondering if he could ever fall in love with a maiden again. I shook my head, still smiling. I should probably wait a little while before going down that road again.
         I tucked myself under the rough cot blanket, not minding its scratchiness much anymore. I toyed with the idea of trying to psychically connect with Scorpio, just so I could talk to him. I decided against it, forcing myself to wait until morning before revealing that I knew who he was. The last image in my mind before sleep claimed me was a pair of deep, piercing black eyes that held promise and strength for all who dared meet their gaze.
                                                          ~*~
         The next scene is too painful for me to go into detail. To sum it up, I awoke to find Scorpio's majestic figure slowly sinking to the bottom of the moat, an arrow placed deep in his throat. All I will say is Gabriel did not get the reaction he expected from his docile princess.
         When we returned home, (Gabriel had too much chivalry embedded in his brain to leave a lady stranded in the Ashen mountains, even if she had given him a bloody nose and threatened to turn the kingdom against him) I sat my father and Gabriel down in the library and laid out the rules. I informed them both that I would be taking the throne after my father, as the constitution said I had the right to do. They had no response to that, as they both knew the dire consequences that would ensure if the Appalachian population ever caught wind that their precious constitution was not being followed. I sent Gabriel home packing, and my father never tried to manipulate me again. After King Marco learned all that had ensured, that his son was not getting the Appalachian throne, he almost declared war on us. I nipped that in the bud by mentioning how unfortunate it would be if the Mastada people, always overeager for any reason to overthrow the government, learned of their prince's recent shameful acts. Being strong was still a little foreign to me, but I faked it best I could those first few months, knowing that Scorpio would be proud. The memories of his longs, searching gazes looks and his honesty with me made me feel like I could do anything. Our time together was short, but we will always be connected.
         In short, I write this in memory of Scorpio because I know that's what he would have wanted me to do. I never got the chance to give him what he deserved, which was to be loved by a woman who would choose him over a handsome knight in a heartbeat. Now, to sit on the book shelves of the world next to tales of blissful, chivalrous love is a story of a princess who was rescued from her handsome prince by a dragon.
                                                      THE END
© Copyright 2008 Kara Kent (getting_there at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1419832-In-Memory-of-Scorpio