*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421066-The-Sun-Queens-Dance-Chapters-2-and-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1421066
Meet more of Layla's friends in these two new chapters.
Chapter 2: New York, New York
"Layla, you're late again," Queen Cam said from the dais when I entered the throne room, "You really are going to have to become more punctual if you want to rule this court."
         "Like I really do want to," I mumbled under my breath.
         "What was that? Did you say something Layla?" King Baal asked.
         "No my lord. Just thinking to myself. I really will try harder. I was writing in my journal and simply lost track of the time. I won't be late again your highness."
         "I sincerely hope not. I'm assuming you have heard of our guests. The Spring Court has sent over the Prince and three court officials to find a bride. Do you have any suggestions?"
         "What about Tatiana? She's of age to marry, plus her father, rest his soul, just died in our last war with the Demons. She has no one to care for her, and she has a high enough social standing."
         "Yes. She is a good candidate. I'll consider her. If you think of anyone else write them down and bring me the list by Tuesday next. That is all. You are dismissed."
                                                                              ***
         "Nice butt kissing, Layla. And Tatiana? She's such a royal snob. I feel sorry for the poor fool she marries already," Lily said after my cursed meeting.
         "Well, if it's the Prince then they deserve each other. I've heard all about him from my Elven friends. Oh crap! I promised Braden I'd meet him for lunch. You want to come?"
         "Where are you eating at?"
         "Sylvester's Pub. It's cheap and has really good food."
         "Alright. Let's go get ready. I feel like staying down there for a while. I want to do some mingling with the mortals."
         Thirty minutes later we were sitting in Sylvester's waiting on Braden. Brayden was my Elven friend. He had the pointy ears and everything. He kind of looks like Legolas from Lord of the Rings, but most of the Elves do.
         "Hey Layla!" Braden said giving me a hug, "This is Lance."
         "Nice to meet you. This is Lily."
         "Hiya!"
         "Hi," Lance said.
         We ordered our food and talked about how the courts were faring. That's when we heard "My Time of Dying" by Three Day's Grace.
         "Hey! I love this song!" Lily said. Then Arkan came flying through Braden's chest. Of course, I screamed and fell backwards in my chair.
         "Yahoo! She loves my song. I'm already in Layla!" Arkan said while scaring my half to death. Arkan is a rogue reaper, and only I, and those he allows, can see him. He's lived with me for about 7 years, since I was about 13 and just coming into my powers. He is in love with Lily, yet won't show himself to her. It's soooo annoying.
         "Layla! Are you okay? Are you hurt?" everyone asked in chorus.
         "I'm fine," I said through gritted teeth.
         "LAYLA! She loves my song!"
         "I got that! I'm not deaf you dimwit! Now there's only one problem with this scenario! SHE'S NEVER SEEN YOU!"
         "SO? Look at her! She's AMAZING!"
         "Shut up, Arkan!"
         "Umm... is she okay?" Lance asked, "does she need a psychiatrist or some meds or something?"
         "Nah! She's just talking to her invisible friend who I've yet to see....On second thought... Layla! You're talking to yourself again!"
         "Crap! Arkan corner table 1 minute."
         "OKAY!"
         "Sorry about that. I'll be right back," I said as I went to talk to Arkan, "Now. What do you want?"
         "First I need to indirectly tell you something."
         "Okay. Shoot."
         He pointed at Braden, made a heart, then pointed at me.
         "Charades!"
         "Pay attention!" he said, then did it again.
         "Okay, I think I have it. Braden wants to hurt me."
         "No,"
         "Is something wrong with him? Does he need a pacemaker or something?"
         "OH! Just forget it."
         "Oka-ay!  So, why are you here?"
         "I just like following you around."
         "Layla!" Lily said, walking up to the table, "You really are starting to look crazy. Hi Arkan!"
         "SHE KNOWS MY NAME!"
         "He says hi back. And it's his fault I'm looking like a nutcase! He won't leave me alone."
         "What does he look like anyways?"
         "Took you long enough to ask!"
         "Arkan she can't hear you. Picture Bozo the clown meets serial killer. He's like my brother Lily."
         "So...he's not cute?"
         "Nope," I said with an evil gleam in my eye, "not at all."
         "That's not fair Layla," Arkan said.
         "Then show yourself idiot!"
         "NO!"
         "I'll call Azrael."
         "You can't! I checked your phone book!"
         "It took you 7 years to figure that one out. I'll bet Queen Cam or King Baal has his number!"
         "You wouldn't go beg them."
         "Oh...I so would."
         "Damn!"
         "He's going to reveal himself now. I threatened to call his boss. Okay Arkan we're ready," I said turning back to him, "Shit!"
         "Let me guess. He ‘poofed.'"
         "Yep. Why did Azrael give them the whole teleportation thing? I mean come on! It's a real pain."
         "I'd help if I could, but what can I do? Man! I really love this song!"
         "Yahoo!"
         "Where are you?" I asked looking slowly around, finally spotting him in the jukebox,"Aha! There you are! Arkan get out of there!"
         "I'm not Arkan...umm....I'm some other mysterious reaper."
I glared at him when he said that. You'd think a million year old reaper could be a little more mature.
         "Where is he?" Lily asked.
         "He's in the-" I started to tell her, but looking back at the jukebox I realized he wasn't in it anymore," Crap! Where'd he go?"
         "WHEEE!" Arkan screamed.
         "Oh no!"
         "What?" Lily asked looking confused, "What is it?"
         "He's hanging upside down from the ceiling fan!"
         "Layla! This is really fun!" He said.
         "Try it on high speed!" I said, pulling the cord to speed it up.
         "AHH!!!! MAKE IT SLOW DOWN!"
         "No you can poof away if you want down."
         "Layla, you really aren't any fun," he said from directly behind me.
         "Arkan, you really need to grow up!"
I walked back to the table. Braden and Lance just stared at me like I should be in a loony bin.
Chapter 3: Dragons, Dogs, and Cats, OH MY!
We finished eating then went to Chinatown to buy a baby dragon from one of Braden's friends. I'd been wanting one for years.
"Aww! It's so cute! Aren't you just about the cutest- OW!" I said when it bit my nose. The others just laughed, "I'm glad my pain amuses you! Thanks guys."
It really was pretty. It was about the size of an iguana, and would grow to be about as big as a small dog.
We said goodbye to Braden and Lance, promising to meet up next week to go clubbing, and went home. My dog MacBeth, a cute little poodle, met me at the door.
"Layla home! Play! Play with MacBeth!"
"Not now." One of the side effects of being a fairy: talking animals.
"He really is quite annoying," my black cat, Binx, said. Strangest thing about him: he speaks with a British accent, "Oh, and by the way Layla, your lizard..."
"Dragon." I said, cutting him off.
"Sorry. Dragon just ate Sunni."
"Great!" Sunni is...well was...my canary.
"Beat me to her!" Binx said walking away.
"MacBeth no like blue lizard! She growl at MacBeth like this-GRRR! It scare MacBeth!"
"MacBeth! Shut Up!" Binx and I said in unison.
"MacBeth sorry."
"Hey Layla."
"Leave me alone Arkan."
"But-"
"No!"
"But-"
"WHAT?!?"
"I brought you something to make up for this afternoon...Dah Duh Dah DUH! PIXIESTIX!" he said holding them up.
"Oh no!"
"What?"
"LOOK OUT!" I yelled, falling to the ground as they flew out of his hand.
"I loooove pixiestix....pixiesty...whatever the plural form is..."
That's CB, short for CherryBlossom. She's a pixie. She's 6 inches tall, and loves flavored sugar. She's also pink. Like HOT PINK.
"CB. Want to play?" Binx said, eyeing the poor thing trapped under the pixiestix bag.
"AHH! Giant cat! Layla! HELP!"
"Binx! Go to your bed!"
"But-"
"MOVE IT!" I yelled, "Sorry about that CB, but you know how Binx is. You've got to be more careful."
"Sorry! Hey Arkan!"
"Yo!"
"MacBeth no like CB! CB steal Layla's candy!"
We all laughed and got ready to go to bed. 
© Copyright 2008 Rebekah Grayson (mysteryauthor9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421066-The-Sun-Queens-Dance-Chapters-2-and-3