*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421930-The-Wedding-Of-The-Brides
by MCK
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Women's · #1421930
Please view with an open mind - this story is part fantasy, but mostly truth.
The Wedding Of The Brides.

Over many years I had been to countless weddings including one of my own. After the marriage ended in disaster and bitterness, there was the proverbial vowing never ever to go through that hassle again.

I often repeated a type of mantra to myself, often just in my mind. "Never ever again will I allow my heart to go through that particular wringer of a bloody washing machine. It is the hardest thing that any human being is called upon to endure. Besides who would want me now? I am no better than used goods." These were also my vehemently stated comments on more than one occasion to a collection of old mates.

That attitude stayed with me for many years. Words we utter have a habit of coming back and biting us in the bum when we least expect it. True?

Dare we say but......

But here I was in the most idyllic of surrounds. I'll describe it soon. In the meantime here is how we met at a festival of music. Many people have heard of it at Tahora, but few get there. (Sadly to say it is not run there any more. The couple whose farm it was on split up.) The venue had a voice and a mystical presence of its own. To be there was to experience everything and anything. The people, the music, the companionship, the peace, the noise, the tranquillity, the laughter, the muddy children coming back from a stream full of watercress, the cows and sheep, the fresh air, the grassy slopes all freshly trimmed and manicured and the countryside in full summer bloom.

"If you are meant to be here you will be here. If not, for some unspoken reason, you will not be there. This place has a life and magic of its own," commented Petra, one of the festival organisers.

From the furthermost corners of New Zealand, plus a few from off shore, we are called to participate in the week of gaiety, music, dance, mad hatter's tea parties, cheerful banter, peaceful meditation and relaxation. If you asked everyone why she or he was there you would get a different reason each time you asked. For me, I was able to simply be me and further experience who I was, with people who could appreciate me for just being me.

For over 20 years this venue has supported and given succour to so many budding musicians, singers, songwriter's, writers and poets.

As the crowd spilled out to every corner of the property, I took a stroll to view the extensive lawns that I had just mowed on the ride on mower. A few people had put up tents in the rough area under the trees. I got talking to a few of them. These were a hardy, well seasoned group from Wellington. Talking came easily as we swapped stories of lives, loves and likes. Soon I left them to travel down to the flats where a group of musicians were having a ‘jam session.'

"Could I walk with you?"

Turning I saw one of the group following me down the steep slope. After I agreed, we wove our way down through and over tent ropes and as we did, we started a conversation. She loved the atmosphere, I found out, but often felt the commotion of too many people too much, and preferred to find a quiet spot and read.

For the next four years we met there. The rest of the time communication was by phone, letter or E-Mail. Amazing how love grew between individuals, even at a distance.

I could not stand the separation any longer. I took her hand one evening and led her away from the concert that was going on. As we walked up to an overlooking hilltop, I asked her if she would like to come here more often, as fortunately I lived about twenty kilometres away.

"Oh yes, I would," she whispered. It seemed to me that she only just dared to believe it was possible and to verbalise it out loud might spoil the wish and personal need.

On the top of the hill, under the clear, starry night sky, I asked Heather to become my life partner and join with me in founding a new lifestyle together. Our shared kiss was breathtaking. We made love together that night, but saved ourselves the final act for another time.

Let us now join in on a very, very special wedding day. Many had taken place before but this one will be different. You'll see why very soon.

The hills supported the most perfectly sun drenched scene. A majestic 18th century styled house crowns the top of the knoll immediately above the grassy-levelled area. There are trees surrounding the back of the house, and being so tall, were silhouetted against the sky. One massive Macracarpa tree sheltered the front left corner of the house. Other than these, there were none to crowd the sheltered view in the immediate vicinity.

Just above the driveway going up to the house, two tents were visible. They were decorated with gaily coloured flags and bunting flapping in the fluctuating breeze, reminding a guest of a medieval fête. One for her and the other one for her intended. From the entrance to the tents there was a cream coloured carpet that had been laid out to the dais at the bottom of the upward slanting slope. The celebrant stood there chatting to the bridal attendants as they waited. Invited guests were seated on the bank on blankets or sitting on chairs to the side of the dais. This was a very relaxed and yet somehow vibrant gathering of friends and relatives. Some had arrived by horse and carriage or cart, and were dressed suitably for the period costume requirements. Others had come across the hills to where they were encamped. It was not hard to imagine you were back a couple of centuries in the times of our Great, Great, Great Grandparents.

The bride was going to be given away by her Father and the other bride by her Sister. One bride had her teenage children waiting for her and the other's daughter was also standing waiting. Their attire was of the style that matched the dating of the house. Everything and everyone was prepared and awaited a pre-arranged signal. The tents had been entered an hour ago.

The shrill sounds of a trumpet call were heard reverberating around the hills for two minutes. Something amazing was about to happen. This had never been seen before in the heart of any redneck province of the country. The tent sides were raised and from each emerged two of the most gorgeous brides you could imagine. Their gowns were identical.

The guests rose to their feet and erupted into inexhaustible of applause and euphoric cheering. They knew they were beholding an awe-inspiring phenomenon. Many were openly crying with sheer joy. Small children with baskets full of rose petals began to run gaily over the carpet showering it till it was almost totally covered. When the baskets were empty, the two children went and obtained a bridal bouquet and presented them to each of the previously tented couple, and after a hug and kiss re-joined the waiting bridal party.

The couple were ready to proceed with the rite. As being one identity they slowly moved toward each other, kissed and then holding hands they moved slowly and gracefully up the petal-strewn carpet. Their guests having come down from the embankment walked along beside them offering cheery and thoughtful comments and best wishes and even more petals and some rice. As they approached the dais the Celebrant came to greet them and embraced them both.

The guests now were arranging themselves back on the hill or on the seating, still chatting merrily. The couple stood on the small dais facing each other and side on to the Celebrant. The celebrant had called for quiet a few times.

"Dearest friends, we are gathered here to witness and celebrate the union of this dazzling couple. Is there anyone who could or would object to this taking place?"

No one moved or spoke. A greater hush had descended on the gathering.

"Then I ask, who gives this woman to be wed to this woman?"

Dad came forward and said in a clear voice. "With my whole heart, I do." A cheer went up from the crowd seated on the bank. Heather hugged her Dad and so did her partner. He then returned to his seat.

"Now I ask, who gives this woman to be wed to this woman?"

The groom's Sister came forward and said. "With my whole heart, I do." Again a cheer erupted from the embankment. Eloise hugged her Sister and her bride also had a great cuddle after which the Sister returned to her seat.

"This is the first wedding I have ever attended where both bride and bride are dressed the same. Eloise, I know you were called Nathaniel as a transsexual, and I commend you and your bride on being able to share this very intimate ceremony in such a personal way. I am very honoured to be able to join the both of you in matrimony."

Several of the merry guests cheered and again applauded. Eloise and Heather, holding hands, could not help but burst out laughing. These were their crazily adorable friends.

"Pray silence for this auspicious occasion," cried a voice from the merry few and everyone roared with laughter. After a short minute this settled down and the celebrant carried on.

"Heather would you like to state your thoughts?"

"Thank you, I would. Eloise, I, Heather want to take you as my bride and partner and friend, and to share my life with you forever, whatever may come. We both have had a rocky road to walk, and I need you beside me. I will respect and support you in your endeavours and join my life forces with yours as we forge a new relationship. Will you come and join me and merge our lives together?"

"Eloise, would you like to reply, and also state your thoughts?"

"Thank you, I would. Heather, I, Eloise want to say that I willingly take you as my bride and partner and friend and will share my life with you forever, whatever may come. I also acknowledge a rocky road trodden by us in our separate lives. I know I need you beside me. I also will respect and support you in your endeavours and join my life forces with you as we forge a new relationship. I'm so glad that we can both wear the dresses or pants in this commitment." The laughter carried on for quite a few minutes. Then somehow composure was again restored. "Heather, will you come and join me and merge our lives together?"

"Thank you, I gladly will."

"As we have all heard and are witness to this union of these two wonderful people, I now have only one thing left to say. I now pronounce you joined in union, or as we used to say, married. May your union together be forged as beautifully as the road of petals you walked to this dais. Why don't you give each other a kiss?" As the couple kissed the guests celebrated with Champagne corks popping, the children ran around throwing more petals over everyone gathered.

The celebrations continued on into the night. Quite a few never saw the inside of their blankets. A big bonfire was burning continuously to ward off a chill in the air. Surprisingly, nobody was intoxicated. It was simply too grand an occasion to waste on being out of your mind.

Two women were joined in the harmony of total togetherness.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Thirty years on.
"We are gathered here today to witness the re-acknowledgement of Heather and Eloise and yes, again, they are in matching outfits."

To be continued ...
© Copyright 2008 MCK (tgmiriam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421930-The-Wedding-Of-The-Brides