*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421963-Come-with-me-if-you-want-to-Live
Rated: E · Essay · Inspirational · #1421963
The Invitation to Eternal Life


         "Come with me if you want to live" is a familiar phrase to a lot of people and then there are others who probably have no idea about this phrase.  For those of you not familiar with this phrase it is from the movie Terminator 2.  When Sarah Connors's was breaking out of the institute she was in, she was blocked from getting out. There was no escape route possible for her.  As she was running the Terminator came out and she tried to stop falling down on the floor to turn and run the other way. How many times have we ran from God As she is trying to turn on a dime to get away from he reaches out to her and says "Come with me if you want to live". She looks at him if fear and terror but her son comes to tell her he is okay he can be trusted.
         The point to all of this is that at times I believe this is what God is asking of us.  "Come with me if you want to live." In God there is life, eternal life.  So to go with him means you will live.  If you walk with him you will live.  If you follow Jesus you will live and some where deep inside, you have to know you have life in him, that you posses life eternally with the Father.
          Sarah Conner's needed to make a decision right then and there. There was no time to spare for her decision.  She had to choose and quickly, just as we must choose life or death. The difference is that God is patient with us and he gives us time and we have free will to decide. Not only does she have to make a choice but she must have blind faith in a machine that was designed to destroy her in the beginning , but now offers his hand to save her life.  She must also trust that he will keep her alive and safe.  She must also believe in him that she will live.
         This is similar to what God was telling the children of isreal in the desert.  he told them he had set before them "life and death, blessings and curses."  But then he turns around and tells them to "choose life."  Not only did he tell them to choose life he said "Now choose life."  It was not a request it was basically a demand to be followed or obeyed, but yet still a choice to be made.
         Talking with my son the other day, we had a conversation about "the way" and the fact that it is more narrow than before.  There's so many more temptations and our culture is about self.  There is so much greed and vanity, it's hard to know the true motives of anyone doing anything any more.  Nothing is sacred, not even life.  Life is being taken for granted as if it's nothing to be considered. We either believe we have all the time in the world or we believe it is the only time we have, so we should live it to the fullest, doing what ever we choose, right or wrong.
         So just as I have used the phrase of the terminator, I now tell you Jesus is saying the same just in different words.  John 14:6 "I am the way and the truth and the life".(NIV)  Jesus also told the disciples "Come, follow me," Matthew 4:19 .(NIV)  The point is when you choose to follow him you too will have to have blind faith and trust him to keep you. You will have to believe that he is who he says he is and that he can and will save you.  The life he offers is eternal life with him and the father.  Even though this world will fade and pass away, we will live on in the presence of the father forever.  The body will pass away, but our spirits will live on forever in heaven. So if you ever get the invitation to "come and follow" him, remember these lines: "Come with me if you want to live" It is only through him we can have eternal life and live for ever. You must make the choice and further more you must make sure it is a choice you can live with or with out.

"This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live."
Deut. 30:19 NIV

© Copyright 2008 Gracious (gracious at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421963-Come-with-me-if-you-want-to-Live