*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422342-An-Impossible-Romance-An-Improper-Love
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Danyan
Rated: E · Fiction · Friendship · #1422342
This is a story of two maids who try to find their true loves.
Chapter One
~1~

A Ball?

"Emily, could you get me some ice water?"
"Yes, m'lady."
"And, Annabel, could you get me a quill pen?"
"Of course, m'lady."
"Thank you girls." Rosalie smiled, took a sip of water, grabbed the quill and wrote in her private diary.
After a few scratches of the quill, Rosalie looked up with a smile,"You two are off your duties tonight. And tonight, how about having a little girl's night? Hmm?"
The two maids looked at each other and smiled. "Let us change, first."
"Of course."

* * *

Giggles were heard down the hall.
"So..." A sly smile spread across Rosalie's face. "Do any of you girls fancy anyone?"
Annabel looked away with a smile, while Emily smiled and looked down.
"Well...I happen to have a crush on Taylor Smith...Of the black smithing family on the corner of Hearth Street." Emily pitched up.
"Really, now?" There was an edge to Rosalie's voice.
"Yes...why?" Emily sounded unsure.
"He happens to be my best friend, we've known each other for a long time." She grinned.
"Oh!" Emily grasped a sheepish blush. "Well, what about you, Annabel?"
"Me? Oh, I don't have a crush on anyone..."
"Who is it." Rosalie demanded.
"Well...I...Um...IhaveacrushonFengPeaktheasianboy." She rushed out in one word.
"I'm sorry, dearie, but I couldn't hear you. Say again?" Rosalie leaned in.
"Well...I may possibly have a crush on Feng Peak...The boy who moved here..." Annabel smiled and blushed.
"Well...who do...YOU have a crush on, m'la-Rosalie?" Emily queried.
"Me? Oh, well I fancy this man named Lars Van Dowe."
"The boy with long blonde hair?" Annabel was amazed.
"Looks don't matter." Rosalie growled.
"Of course not, m'lady." Emily quickly put in, covering up her friend's error. She'd been Rosalie's maid longer than Annabel had, and she knew how to stay on Rosalie's good side. "Annabel intended no such thing."
"Of course I didn't!" Annabel quickly caught on. "I was just...astonished at your fine taste."
"Good..." Rosalie murmured. "He isn't that bad, is he?"
"No, of course not."
"Well, I wish you two good luck with your crushes, ladies. Now, I really must be getting ready for my ball."
"Ball?" Emily asked, excitement rising in her voice. "How wonderful! What for?"
"I am coming out to society!" Rosalie cried passionately, ripping open the drapes that hung in front of a wide window, overlooking the beautiful, sunlit sea. Sunlight shone in through the window, lighting up Rosalie's unique, lovely features and causing the two maids to blink, having been used to the darkness. They had stayed up all night.
"Oh, Miss Rosalie, how wonderful!" Annabel chimed, her light, airy voice as sweet as honey. "It sounds so fun..."
Annabel and Emily sighed in unison pathetically, glancing down at their servers' uniforms, wishing that their lives could amount to more. Waiting on Rosalie had shown them how much they were missing, and they would do anything to live like Rosalie.
Rosalie turned around, quickly, abruptly, her large skirt swishing with her. "Would you two like to come?"
"To the ball?" Annabel squealed, grasping Emily's arm. "Are you serious?"
"Miss Rosalie," Emily began, all business. "We would love to go, and thank you so much for your offer, but we couldn't. We've got no decent clothes to wear, we aren't anywhere near pretty enough, and we've no experience in this area. Neither of us has ever had the opportunity to attend one, or have we had the proper training. My deepest apologies, but we are going to have to pass on this one."
"Emily Grace!" Annabel squealed, pinching her friend's forearm.
"Annabel, dear, face it. We would fall flat on our faces out on the dance floor. We'd stick out like sore thumbs."
"Emily!" Annabel whined.
"Nonsense!" Rosalie butted in sternly. "You two must come. I insist. In fact, I order you."
"B-but...our clothes," Emily stammered.
"You may borrow some of mine."
"And our appearances?"
"Nothing a little make-up won't fix." Rosalie said, a gleam in her eyes. "Besides, you two might just run into your boys there. Now, wouldn't that be fun?"
"Oh God," Emily muttered under her breath. "She's playing matchmaker again."
Rosalie laughed, and sauntered away. "It's for your own good, angel! You two, be in my room at exactly half-past, understood? I shall have my dresser fix you both up!"
"Wonderful," Emily muttered sarcastically. "Come on, Annabel, we have to make breakfast."
"Isn't this marvelous, Em?" Annabel rattled on, as Emily pulled her down the hall to the kitchen. "We're going to a ball!"
"Yes, of course we are. Or else we wouldn't have had that last conversation with m'lady." Emily rolled her eyes.
"I think you've been a maid for too long, Emily. Just think about it, we are going to a high-class ball!" Annabel smiled.
"I realize that...I've just never been one for social outings. I prefer sitting at home, wrapped in a warm blanket." Emily sighed sadly.
"Emily, is there something wrong? I didn't mean to pressure you, I just thought it would be fun, is all."
"No, no. It's quite alright. I've...just had some family problems in the past." Emily started to make ginseng tea for Rosalie's elders.
"Are you sure? I...won't pry, but if you need someone to talk to, I'm always here." Annabel looked at her lovingly.
"Well, enough of this chit-chat. We need to make breakfast for m'lady's elders. I'll man the tea and eggs."
"And I'll man the bacon and toast!" Annabel exclaimed brightly.
"Yes...erm...you do that." Emily was a little overwhelmed by Annabel's happiness.
As the eggs, bacon and toast were being set on the china, Rosalie's father appeared through the doorway.
"G'morning m'Lord." Emily and Annabel curtsied.
"Breakfast will be out shortly." Emily returned to the kitchen as Annabel decorated the table with napkins and silverware.
Rosalie walked in as Emily sat the last piece of buttered toast on the plate. "Emily, dear, could you put some milk in a bottle? Mum's out of milk again for the young ones."
"Oh, of course." Emily searched the kitchen and shelves in hopes of finding leftover milk from yesterday. "Oh, dear..." Emily walked to the doorway between the kitchen and dining room. "Pst! Annabel!" Emily furiously motioned for Annabel to come to her.
"Excuse me, m'Lord." Annabel trotted over to where Emily was standing. "What?"
"We need milk! Arm...Breakfast will be a few minutes late, m'Lord" Emily called out.
"Where are we going to get milk?" Annabel queried.
"Why, we lent some milk to the smith family just yesterday. Emily, why don't you see if they have any leftover?" Rosalie walked in with a sly smile.
Emily nodded with a blush, ran out and muttered,"I hate you..." With a stern glare.
Emily ran across the dirt road, and made a few turns here and there, and she arrived on Hearth Street. Her heart was racing faster with each step she took. She peeked into the open smithing shop, and decided to not walk in, because there were far too many machines and tools. She pranced up the stone steps and shakily knocked on the wooden door. The door opened.
"Hello there...Emily, Rosalie's maid, am I correct?" Taylor smiled.
"Yes, you are." Emily smiled back.
"What do you need?" Taylor asked.
"The Charmand family needs more milk, and Rosalie remembered that we lent your family some milk."
"Oh, yes. Come in and have a seat, while I check if we didn't use it all up." Taylor held open the door for Emily. "Just...sit there, on the couch. I"ll be back in a second."
"Emily sat down on the couch and glanced around. Small, wooden...paintings here and there. The couch she sat on was rather comfortable.
"I'm sorry, but we've used up the milk."
"Oh, well, I'll just run to the store and buy some, then. Thank you for your troubles." Emily curtsied and started to walk out the door.
"Wait-" Taylor grabbed onto Emily's arm, before she fully passed the doorway. "I couldn't possibly let a young woman roam the streets without someone to look out for her." Taylor smiled with a barely noticeable blush.
"Oh, my...Thank you Taylor. Thank you very much." Emily smiled. He cares about me!
"So, which store do you go to?" Taylor asked.
"We normally go to the Plaza. It's a nice place."
"Yes, it is. Rather far away though, isn't it?" Taylor rubbed the back of his head, ashamed of his pathetic try to start up a conversation.
"Yes, it is rather far away, but very worth it, in many ways." Emily replied.
"How so?"
"Well, we get exercise and the food is very remarkable. Not to mention that I am walking with M'lady's friend." I don't care that I'm walking with M'lady's friend, though I do care that I am walking with someone I care about deeply...
Taylor smiled."I think we've passed the time rather quickly. The Plaza is right there."
"Oh, I wouldn't have noticed. I'll be a second." Emily walked off into the crowd.
After a few minutes, Emily returned with three bottles of milk in her hands.
"Would you like some help?" Taylor asked.
"Oh, no. I shall be fine. I-Oh, my goodness!" She almost dropped the bottles.
"Wha-what's the matter?"
"Oh, dear. It's almost half-past! I must be going." Emily started to quicken her pace.
"What? Why do you need to be back so soon? Let me walk you home." Taylor ranted on.
"Oh, Rosalie ordered Annabel and I to go to the ball...we were told to arrive in her room at a half-past...oh dear, the milk must be late. Hopefully the babies have drunken something..." Emily trailed off. "Are you going to the dance?"
"Why, yes I am." Taylor smiled.
"Oh, my, would you mind dancing with me for a few songs? I would rather not have to dance with Annabel, as nice as she is. Besides, I'm sure somebody would ask her." Emily looked away, and blushed, proud of herself that she asked him, even if the reasons were a little off.
"No, of course I wouldn't mind..." Taylor sighed mentally. "Here is your house-er, mansion, I suppose..."
‘Oh, thank you very much for walking with me, and thank you for dancing with me, once we get to the ball." Emily opened the door, smiled, blinked in thanks and added,"Goodbye for now."
"Goodbye...Emily. I'll see you in a few hours." And with that, he started walking home.

* * *

Rosalie gasped in anguish as Emily emerged through the door to her bedroom, shaking nervously in anticipation of the ball.
"What is it, m'lady?" Annabel asked from her seat on Rosalie's large, canopied bed. Her hands were clasped in her lap, and she looked about Rosalie's room in awe.
Emily took a moment to admire it too. A large, tall bed with a sky blue canopy falling silkily around it, dominated the room, the sheets pulled neat and tight, no doubt by Annabel, and strangled in decorative pillows. A wardrobe stood mightily to one wall, draped with Rosalie's extravagant, marvelous clothing. A vanity with a large, spotless mirror, its shelves cluttered with make-up of every shade and type imaginable. A comfortable-looking armchair sat in one corner, a baby-blue dress strung lazily over it, next to a lifeless, white mannequin.
Emily strolled into the room, glancing around, marveled. She'd been in here countless times before, working on chores, tidying things up, or just assisting her lady with anything she may have needed. But now, now that she really took the chance to look, she realized how amazing it really was.
"Yes, m'lady," She murmured, twisting her face in concern, despite the fact that she didn't really care.
"I'm all out of rouge." Rosalie clicked her tongue, and turned to Annabel with a devilish smile on her face. "Dear Annabel, could you find it in your heart to run to the square and fetch me some more? There's a little shop, which looks bemusing, and unwelcome, but honestly, it holds the best makeup in town. Just ask for Lady Morella. Bitter woman, but she'll get you what you need."
"Oh, m'lady, I could go and do that for you," Emily piped up, ever helpful, she was such a sweetheart, with long thick brown hair always pulled back into a bun, a cutely freckled face, and an admirable figure. Annabel had once offered to trade figures, when Emily was complaining about her own.
"No, my dear, that will not be necessary. You took the last trip, now it's Annabel's turn." She beamed at little childish Annabel. "And if you should run into someone...Maybe he could escort you?"
Annabel and Emily stared at Rosalie in shock. Was she really so keen to play match-maker?
"Alright, m'lady, I'll get right to that." She curtsied, bowing low inside her wide skirts. "Goodbye, m'lady, goodbye, Em."
And with that, she strolled nervously out of the room.

* * *

Unescorted.
That was all that ran through Annabel's mind as she walked briskly through the square. She was walking around the square, unescorted, completely alone. Any undignified man could do whatever immoral, unspeakable acts that he wished.
She shivered, crossing her arms across her small bosom, and walked on. Please, someone, appear. Come to the rescue, and protect me. Just as Rosalie planned.
And then, she wasn't alone. There was another presence besides her, someone warm, comforting. She felt unthreatened. Her eyes turned slightly, head gently, and she smiled as she recognized her new escort.
"Why, hello, Mr. Peak," She said pleasantly, her voice a slight giggle. Why did she always giggle while around him?
"Miss Lovelace," He responded, sounding a bit nervous, but happy nonetheless.
"Oh, please," She murmured, blushing, as she often did around him. "Call me Annabel."
"Okay, Annabel." He grinned. "So, what brings you here, on this fine afternoon, absolutely unescorted?"
"Oh, well, Lady Rosalie was out of rouge, and she didn't want to look pale for the ball tonight.."
Feng piped up, smiling. "Oh, are you going to that?" He asked, curiously.
"Why yes, in fact, I am. My first ball...Emily's too. Oh, my, I forgot. You probably aren't acquainted with my dear friend, Em..."
"I do believe I have, actually. A young maid, for Lady Rosalie?"
"Yes, indeed."
"I know her. A good friend of mine."
"Oh," She blushed. "I do believe I've arrived at the shop she recommended to me."
"Well, I should let you go..."
"Thank you, Mr. Peak, for escorting me. I do hope to see you at the ball tonight."
"I'll see you there, Annabel."
She curtsied, and watched as he walked away, blushing still.
"Oh, Annabel! Good, I caught you," A familiar brother-like voice sounded in her ear. She turned and smiled warmly at her good friend, Demetri Donovan.
"Why, hello, Demetri, funny meeting you here..." She smiled wickedly. "Buying something to bring more color to your cheeks?"
"Bite your tongue!" He replied, wittily, and laughed. "Actually, I've been meaning to talk to you. I've decided that tonight is the night."
"The night? For what, Demetri? And why do you look so nervous, so shaken?" She gasped. "Does this involve a lady?"
He grinned. "Miss Cassandra Mallory, to be exact. I've decided that tonight, I am going to propose!"
Annabel squealed like a child, pecking her dear friend on the cheek. "That's marvelous, Demetri Donovan."
"Do you think she'll say yes?" He asked, his fingernail in his mouth.
Annabel bit her lip, honestly wondering herself. "I...honestly, I don't know. But I wish you the best of luck, Demetri." She winked, hoping no one would notice her moment of excited improperness. "Go get ‘er, tiger.:
Demetri laughed nervously, wishing desperately to change the subject. "So, was that Mr. Feng Peak I saw you with just now, Miss Annabel?"
Annabel blushed, and nodded her head. "Come, I must get back to Lady Rosalie quickly, so talk while I browse."
"Okay. So, do you and this Mr. Peak...Is there anything going on between you two?"
"Possibly." Annabel admitted honestly. She could trust Demetri.
"My, my, I must say I'm a tad jealous."
Her head snapped up, eyes wide. "Excuse me?" She stared at him, half in shock, half in horror.
"Oh, um, never mind that," He laughed absently.
"So, you and Cassandra," Annabel immediately changed the subject." What a lovely pair. I'm sure that all of society will approve."
"Why, thank you, Annabel. I'm quite hoping so."
Annabel smiled at him. "You two..." She sighed happily. "Such a perfect pair."
"You'll never let me forget this, will you?" Demetri asked, knowing his friend.
"Never."

* * *

Annabel walked back to Rosalie's bedroom, carrying the rouge. Emily stood in front of Rosalie's closet trying to decide what to wear. Rosalie was in her private lavatory, changing. Emily glanced over, to see Annabel. "Annabel! Come, you must see what Rosalie has!" Emily smiled in excitement.
"Of course!" Annabel pranced over to the closet.
As Annabel reached the closet, the lavatory's lock clicked. Rosalie emerged from the room in an extravagant black and red dress. The neckline was a ‘V'-line, and the sleeves connected to the ‘V'-line. The bodice was a brilliant red color, possibly maroon, or brick red. The waistline also curved into a ‘V', leaving a shining black skirt to hang. The dress was rather long; it reached the floor. The very bottom of the dress had a matching frill of red. "Ladies, how do I look?"
"Marvelous!"
"Stupendous!"
The two girls cried in unison.
"Have you two ladies found a dress that suits you?" Rosalie asked.
"I was thinking about this lovely dress." Emily smiled, pulling out a blue gown.
"Well, try it on!" Rosalie exclaimed, shoving Emily into the lavatory.
Annabel raided Rosalie's closet and found a beautiful dress. She waited a few minutes until Emily walked out of the lavatory.
Emily wore a gown made with a black velvet bodice, and a pretty ribbon lacing in the center front bodice with a square neckline. The sleeves were flounce with ribbon. The fabric was a crushed panne velour with black lace edging around the hem. The flounce and skirt were a majestic amethyst.
"My, Emily! It looks wonderful!"
"Gorgeous, Emily!"
The two exclaimed.
"Okay, Annabel, your turn!" Emily gently nudged her towards the lavatory. "I'm sure you'll look wonderful!"
After a few minutes, Annabel emerged from the lavatory wearing a purple gown. The dress had a high collar, with a white ruffle underneath. The torso and long sleeves had a slight ‘poof' to it, but still showed off her beautiful figure. The skirt was a few inches above the ground, but if you turned, it had a wonderful twirl to it.
"Oh, you look amazing, Annabel!" Emily smiled.
"Dear, you look absolutely stupendous. Now, onto your hair, my dears." Rosalie smiled, and she began to work on Annabel's hair. "I almost forgot, you girls need corsets. I'll look through my corsets, and find some that would fit you."
Rosalie rummaged through a dresser drawer, and found two corsets. "Emily, come to the lavatory with me; we're all girls." Emily followed Rosalie into the room, followed by a shutting door and dropping dress. "What you need to do now, Emily, is take a deep breath, and don't release it. Suck in your gut, as well."
Emily did as she was told, and found half her air be released as the corset around her tightened, and tightened, and tightened. "Are you sure this corset won't show?"
"Yes, I'm positive it won't." Rosalie nodded. Emily slipped the dress back on her body, and walked out, as Annabel stared.
"Wh-what? Does it look alright?" Emily panicked.
"No, it's fine! It's just...those corsets must do wonders for the woman's body."
"Not...really" Emily struggled to breathe. "It...makes it hard to breathe."
"Oh...Well, I guess I have something to look forward to." Annabel sarcastically rolled her eyes, and walked into the lavatory.
Rosalie recited the same instructions that she gave Emily, as Annabel took off her dress. Rosalie wrapped the white corset around Annabel, and with her nimble fingers, immediately started looping the string through holes. After a bit of typing, Rosalie was done. Annabel, occasionally gasping for air, slipped on her dress.
As she emerged, Emily smiled. "You look amazing!"
"Really?"
"Of course you do, my dear." Rosalie grinned from behind. "And now for the hair."
Annabel sat down, staring at herself in front of the vanity. Rosalie grabbed a brush, and started brushing Annabel's hair. Unlike Emily's hair, Annabel's hair was easily brushed through, and combed through.
When Rosalie started on Emily's hair, she started with a bit of difficulty, but Emily's hair soon untangled, and became as smooth as Annabel's.
Rosalie grabbed a few black ribbons, which matched all of their dresses. She started working with Annabel's hair. She braided Annabel's hair into three separate braids, Rosalie looped her hair, so the three braids fell in three spectacular loops.
"Are you sure my hair needs to be...This fancy?" Annabel raised her eyebrow.
"Annabel, don't you want to make a good impression for Mr. Peak?" Rosalie looked at her.
"Yes, yes I do." Annabel sounded more confident.
"Now, time for your hair, Emily."
"What are you going to do to it?" Emily cringed.
"...I'm making sure you won't put your hair back up into that bun." Rosalie stuck her tongue out in an unlady-like manner. Rosalie then braided Emily's hair into a long, thick, brunette braid. "You're going to just love what I'm going to do with your hair." Rosalie opened a vanity drawer, and grabbed a few bobby pins. She twisted Emily's hair into a circle, at the crown of her head, pinning and twisting until there was no more hair to be twisted or pinned.
"There! Now both of your hair is marvelous! Now, find some jewelry in that box over there." Rosalie pointed to a wooden box on her dresser. "And now, I will do my own hair.:
"Annabel and Emily ransacked the wooden box, finding luscious earrings, extravagant chokers, darling necklaces, precious brooches and lovely rings.
"I think we should go subtle on the jewelry, Annabel."
"You're right. It would look tawdy and cheap if we had more than one piece on." Annabel nodded in agreement.
"Oh, Annabel! What do you think of this necklace?" Emily held up an amethyst, cut in a rhombus attached to a thick gold pleated chain.
"Beautiful, Em! It will work perfectly with your dress! What do you think of this ring?"
"Amazing! It will work wonders with your dress!" Emily exclaimed, as Annabel slipped on the silver band with a sapphire onto her right index finger.
"Ladies, now for your make-up. What lovely pieces of jewelry you chose." Rosalie was perfectly ready; it must have taken them a while to find their jewelry, between their giggling. "Emily, over here. I found some lovely shades of purple eyeshadow to match your dress."
Emily sat in front of the vanity once more. Pink lipstick, blush, and plum colored eyeshadow were applied to her face. Annabel replaced her spot, after a compliment, and had a darker shade of pink lipstick, lush, and violet eyeshadow applied to her skin.
"There! Now, slip on your maid shoes. They are quite duable and very original. And come, the carriage shall arrive in a few minutes." Rosalie smiled as they all walked through the door, and down the stairs.
The threesome waited on the front porch for a minute, and the carriage arrived, with two black horses at the front. Rosalie climbed in first, then Annabel, then Emily. The ball was at an opera house, about five minutes by carriage away.
© Copyright 2008 Danyan (danyan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422342-An-Impossible-Romance-An-Improper-Love