*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422993-Generations---Gen-B-for-the-Beloved
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1422993
A trip through generations of love, loss, and despair
Nana felt much better the next day. When Nana woke up and noticed that Nana Dehlila wasn't in the room anymore, but she smelled something very pleasant to her senses. Grabbing her robe and heading to Nana Dehlila's room she noticed she wasn't in there either. In her modest "Almost holy night gown" what the ladies called it, with her hair partially falling from the pins she had placed in it the day before, she headed down the stairs following the scent that woke her up. Taking the pins out one by one, allowing her silky, curly, dark brown hair to fall down to the middle of her back.

Nana Annina had no clue as to where the kitchen was, her stomach growled viciously because of the rich smell that filled the air. Nana didn't eat the night before. When she got down the flight of stairs she walked into the bar thinking that was where the kitchen must be. This very handsome fellow who looked to be in his twenties was waiting at the bar drinking a cup of orange juice. He was alone. He turned around and noticed Nana Annina standing about 20 ft behind him. "Wow! Are you one of the new ones?" He said with amazement in both his eyes and voice.

"Excuse me?" Nana said confused about what he was talking about. "I'm the daughter of one of the ladies who lives here, have you saw her? Ms. Dehlila?" Nana noticed how gorgeous this man was from his white shoes on up to the hat that he took off when she went in to his presence. He had a smile that could stop traffic. Nana was smitten by this man.

"I haven't seen Ms. Dehlila this morning quite yet. I bet they are in the kitchen."

"This is my first night here, I don't know where the kitchen is could you please tell me?"

"Yes Miss I can. Go straight out of the bar past the main entrance and living room, the kitchen is to the left. My name is Winston by the way. Would you like to enjoy a cup of orange juice with me?" This very mysterious gentleman continued to stare at Nana and bite his bottom lip. She felt uncomfortable when realizing she was in her night gown. She felt kind of bad for having an attraction to him and tried to pull away from him quickly. "I'm sorry Mr. Winston but I can't, thank you." Nana ran out of the room so fast he didn't even get to say goodbye or ask her why she called him Mr. Winston like he was some well respected older person.

Nana was really embarrassed for parading about him partially naked. She thought about how beautiful Winston's teeth were and how nice he looked, on her way to the kitchen.

Ms. Genevieve was at the stove cooking French toast, Nana Annina's favorite. All of the women now appearing in their natural beauty due to the lack of makeup, hair, and clothing. They were all very mediocre when it came to their looks. They joked about all of the past men they fell in love with and how they loved them in return. Nana Dehlila was getting the China to set the table. She never smiled or engaged in the conversation, she just focused on making the place setting beautiful. Even without make up and all that other stuff she was still as beautiful. Even more so without it. She saw Nana Annina watching her from the doorway, smiled and said " Good morning come have a seat." Nana still had a look of shock because of the man she had just saw. It was all on her face. "What's wrong with you Annina?" Nana Dehlila could see the nervous look on Nana's face. "You look like you just saw a ghost." Before Nana Annina answered, the hostess Ms. Margie said " I bet she did see a ghost, a real good lookin' one in the bar." Ms. Margie could see it all over her face as well. Lots of women happened to be attracted by that same person who came to the bar every morning to enjoy a cup of orange juice.

"Who is he?" Asked Nana Annina. "He asked me if I was one of the new ones. I'm not exactly sure what he means."

"That my dear lady is Ms. Genevieve's son, she's over by the stove." Said Ms. Margie. "He's a fine lookin' young man ain't he?" Nana didn't know if she should say yes or no to that question, she looked at all of the women around the room to see if she could find an answer for Ms. Margie. Nana Dehlila came over to her and said, "Margie can't you see you're making her uncomfortable? You just keep quite now." Then she leaned over Nana Annina and whispered. "Don't worry about answering that honey, by the look on your face I can tell. Did your daddy let you meet any gentlemen?"

"No Ma'am he didn't." Everyone ooohed and aaahed at the fact that Nana called Nana Dehlila Ma'am. "What? Ya'll ain't never seen a young lady with manners before?" Said Nana Dehlila. She was something else! That sure did shut those ladies up, there was complete silence in the kitchen. Ms. Genevieve walked over to Nana Annina and dropped a few slices of French toast on her plate while everyone else served themselves. They passed around the eggs, bacon, potatoes, and syrup upon the table that sat twelve. Ms. Genevieve's son Winston joined them. "Mornin' Ladies!"

"Good Morning Winston!" He must've felt like a million bucks with 10 women greeting him in that manner. In unison at that! Nana Annina looked at him from the corner of her eye but tried not to make direct eye contact. Nana Dehlila was sitting next to Nana Annina, and Ms. Genevieve sat at the end of the table next to her with an open seat to the left of her. Just her luck Winston sat next to Ms. Genevieve and right across from Nana Annina. He had this devious smile on his face like he had just embezzled money from a company and was going to retire on it. Ms. Genevieve and Winston kept gazing at Nana Annina as if they knew she was hiding a secret from them.

"So sweetheart, what's your name and where are you coming from?" The silence and uncomfortable feeling finally broke.

"Mom this is Ms. Dehlila's daughter." Said Winston. Nana Annina was shocked that he spoke for her and kind of mad at the same time.

"My name is Annina."

"Dehlila you didn't tell me you had a daughter!"

"Ms. Genevieve yes I did. Right after you met me."

"We'll I'll be! It's been that long since you've been around?"

"Yes Ma'am 17 years and counting." Said Nana Dehlila

"Wow! I'm sorry sweety, I feel so horrible because I thought you were white."

"I did too Mom, until she told me who's daughter she was and...when she turned around! I was like ooooohh wee! Good Lord! No white woman could have a behind like that there!" All of the women laughed and Nana Annina blushed. "Ms. Dehlila you do have a beautiful daughter. She looks just like you."

"Thank you Winston. Are you trying to tell me something?" Asked Nana Dehlila who seemed to be catching on to his game.

"No Ma'am I just thought I'd say...never mind." Winston cleared his throat and looked at Nana Annina and then his plate and began to eat. The sound of forks clicking and scraping against plates filled the room. "Ms. Genevieve what is this place? I don't understand why so many people live here and visit." Asked Nana Annina. Ms. Margie laughed when she heard that.

"Dehlila, you haven't let your daughter know where she is?"

"Butt out Margie, ain't none of your business what I tell my daughter." Nana Dehlila was highly offended at the comment Ms. Margie made. "I'll tell you after breakfast ok honey?" Nana Dehlila did plan to tell Nana Annina what this place was but didn't know when was a good time. I guess sooner than later would be better before men began to proposition her daughter and she being so young gives herself to one of them.

After eating while everyone was cleaning the kitchen Winston pulled Nana Annina to the side. "I'm really sorry if I made you uncomfortable today. I always joke around with the ladies at the table and I wasn't able to contain myself until I saw that look on your face.

"It's ok, I used to always get teased by my brothers and sisters about having too big of a behind." Nana Annina couldn't even look him in the face when she said that. The memories of the things they've done and said to her were really painful.

"I wasn't trying to put you down, it's more like a compliment. " Winston smiled at Nana with a smile that made her weak in the knees.

"Alright you too! You can be all goo goo eyed at each other later but right now we have dishes that need to be cleaned." Said Ms. Genevieve. Looked like Winston had found a new friend. Although he was a gentleman, he was certainly no stranger to women. A little too charming if you ask me. He would help make the women who had just entered the house...comfortable. Not all of the women but a select few who had never felt a man's touch before. Nana Annina certainly fit the bill on that one. Purity was prevalent in all of her facial expressions and body movements.

After cleaning the kitchen. Nana Annina got cleaned up and waited for her mom to visit her so they could speak. Nana Dehlila walked in and sat on the bed. Nana Annina sat at a vanity that was right next to the bed. "Where do I begin?" Asked Nana Dehlila.

"I want to know what this place is. I've never seen women in so many colors with so much showing before."

"Do you know what a brothel is Annina?" Asked Nana Dehlila. She didn't know exactly how to describe it to her without making her feel like she was going to hell, after she told her about it.

"I don't. What is it?" Asked Nana. Her daddy Mr. Wyatt did all he could to keep Nana Annina from becoming tainted by the world. He kept everything from pictures of naked ladies to bars were liquor was involved, he was quite active in all of those areas, but he never got his kids involved. He didn't want his daughter to be influenced by those things.

"Well for one it is a place that Mr. Wyatt would NOT approve of you being in. The women here including myself give gentlemen who are tired from everyday life a good time in exchange for their money." Nana Dehlila tried her best to describe the whole thing and not make it sound as bad as it really is. Nana Annina just looked at Nana Dehlila in confusion. "Sometimes we do things for them that wives should do but don't." Now Nana Dehlila was just talking to Nana Annina as if she was 7 but in that area, she really was seven.

"So what are you saying exactly? I still don't understand." Said Nana Annina with this look that she used to give me when I was in trouble.

"We make love with men for money."

"But why? My daddy said that was a sin. Aren't you gonna go to hell for that?"

"Not everybody is wealthy Annina. We have to do what we can to make money. Your daddy should be the last person talking about si..." Nana Dehlila was furious at this point. Even thinking about Mr. Wyatt made this vein pop out in her forehead. It kind of frightened Nana Annina to see that expression on Nana Dehlila's face. Nana Dehlila calmed down. "Did your daddy tell you that he came to visit me? Often?"

"Yes he did Ma'am." Replied Nana Annina.

"Did your daddy tell you the whole story about why I left?" Asked Nana Dehlila.

"Yes Ma'am he did." Nana Annina went to her suitcases and pulled out the letter he had given her. "Please read it. I think he wanted me to show it to you."

~~~***TO BE CONTINUED***~~~

© Copyright 2008 **Alyse** (thepromise at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422993-Generations---Gen-B-for-the-Beloved